Nails in the news today

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlabarbie

Reaction score
On GMTV this morning there was a snippet in the news about an MP wanting new laws against nail salons where the techs arent qualified, and that the "glue" they use should be banned as it is dangerous. Makes me think they are talking about MMA and NNS?

If so, I think this is good news for all us qualified nail techs. Unfortunately I cant find a link to the news piece, if anyone can please feel free to add!

On GMTV this morning there was a snippet in the news about an MP wanting new laws against nail salons where the techs arent qualified, and that the "glue" they use should be banned as it is dangerous. Makes me think they are talking about MMA and NNS?

If so, I think this is good news for all us qualified nail techs. Unfortunately I cant find a link to the news piece, if anyone can please feel free to add!

OOOhhhh - have been watching GMTV but have missed that one. Unfortunately anybody that sees these reports tend to accuse us all of using these BAD products! Would be nice to see the NSS abolished but dont think we would see things change for quite some time.

I have watched it aswell !!!

Here is the link to page
GMTV - Nail bars

This is linked into a previous news item they did in September last year. I do hope they broadcast it again though cause would love to see what they have to say.

This type of sensationalism coverage isn't good for the industry.

1- They get 95% of facts incorrect or out of context (nail glue!!)
2- They spread irrational fears about nails.

We had this when I helped with the Watchdog episode targeting NSS. They look to exploit semi-truths for sensationalism because that is what we as the public want. The downside is that the people watching only hear "nails are bad".

Me, I hope that something can be done about NSS standards, but that GMtV doesnt show it again.

HTHs!

Unfortunately i missed the snippet, but my son came running into the kitchen saying that the white sponge block i use on nails is bad for people................. he is only 9! :)

Then a friend rang saying that she had seen it, and bassically the mp wants a crack down on nail bars that hold no qualifications and use products that are not allowed, guessing mma.

I too have tried searching this but have come up with no results.

I Think it IS good. This should be done. I educate my friends and their friends and so on about the dangers associated with nss. Yes i understand about mis information in the news and press but surely if this mp gets it done, then its a good thing and that means that NSS will be no more.

Don't get me wrong Caroline, I am 100% for getting something done - however let's help get it done without the sensationalism that can ultimately work to warp the publics perception that 'nail bars are bad for your health'.

Only a small minority of salons use MMA monomer and I have seen a lot of 'qualified' techs with crap technique and poor hygiene. A qualification does not make someone totally safe to perform work.

Therefore we need to ensure that we work together to get a bill passed (if that is what it is called over here!) that will be adequate in helping to protect consumers appropriately.

Something that prevents MMA monomer being used in nail enhancement applications and ensures that nail professionals abide by the COP (Code of practise).

Those items are both practical and consumer conscious. Whereas enforcing a minimum qualification (i.e. NVQ) will have minimal impact in protecting consumers. Although better than nothing, lets not sell this opportunity short :)

Hope that makes sense!

Don't get me wrong Caroline, I am 100% for getting something done - however let's help get it done without the sensationalism that can ultimately work to warp the publics perception that 'nail bars are bad for your health'.

Only a small minority of salons use MMA monomer and I have seen a lot of 'qualified' techs with crap technique and poor hygiene. A qualification does not make someone totally safe to perform work.

Therefore we need to ensure that we work together to get a bill passed (if that is what it is called over here!) that will be adequate in helping to protect consumers appropriately.

Something that prevents MMA monomer being used in nail enhancement applications and ensures that nail professionals abide by the COP (Code of practise).

Those items are both practical and consumer conscious. Whereas enforcing a minimum qualification (i.e. NVQ) will have minimal impact in protecting consumers. Although better than nothing, lets not sell this opportunity short :)

Hope that makes sense!

I can feel a revolution coming, Baton down the hatches :wink2:

Totally agree, there should be a total ban on MMA and all nail technicians must hold Qualification.

Also you are right about the level of training. But unfortunately if they can not get it right with schools there is not much chance of it being perfect elsewhere.

There should be facts and not just scare tactics, but after just searching site i realise that this does not always happen, referring to your watchdog episode.

But hopefully there will be some kind of breakthrough.

And lets face it not everyone will be put off, a very small amount of clients dont care if cement and a hammer drill are used, just as long as its cheaper. :eek:

this is all well and good.. but if something IS to be done.. how will the government define "qualified" will a manufacturers course be deemed as sufficient? or will they introduced some sort of health and safety qualification we all must have.. The health and safety legislations taught within colleges for level 2 and 3 NVQ are way more in depth than any private course ive ever done- resulting in a summative assessment. I personally feel anyone in any sector in the hair and beauty industry should hold this. There was talk a while back of everyone having to have NVQ qualification to practice.. but how many techs out there actually have this?

I did see the item on GMTV and also agree that something should be done. However they do need to get their facts right as the general public do not need to be given too much information to decide that ALL nail enhancements are dangerous and they should not have them done!! I do worry that I have not got enough qualifications. I know what I am doing and am confident that I offer my clients a safe service. I did my original courses with Essential Nails I have also done conversion courses with Christrio and also LCN. I would never say that I have finished my learning as I feel there is always more you can learn. I thought of doing an NVQ but I have spoken to many girls who have been to the local college to do an NVQ and said the course was not good at all. One girl even told me she could not do the final exam as the teacher had "lost" her course work!! It is also expensive to do and I would not be able to afford it. Please could you let me know if I should try and do the NVQ for more qualifications:confused:

are we all SURE we have sufficient health and safety training- because this seems to be the gripes the government appear to be bringing up- its more than just sanitizing your hands and tools. All im saying is that the NVQ seems to cover far more in depth these aspects than manufacturers courses. YES the skill , knowledge and delivery may be quicker and up to date than colleges but im afraid the health and safety training leaves the private sector way behind. Maybe a health and safety certificate should be gained before we embark on any hair/beauty course- if the government proposals go ahead- we might just have to..

are we all SURE we have sufficient health and safety training- because this seems to be the gripes the government appear to be bringing up- its more than just sanitizing your hands and tools. All im saying is that the NVQ seems to cover far more in depth these aspects than manufacturers courses. YES the skill , knowledge and delivery may be quicker and up to date than colleges but im afraid the health and safety training leaves the private sector way behind. Maybe a health and safety certificate should be gained before we embark on any hair/beauty course- if the government proposals go ahead- we might just have to..

I wouldn't generalise toomuch or if you do at least say that's what you are doing.

I know for a fact that all CND classes cover issues of sanitation and appropriate salon sanitation practices and CND are private courses.

IN fact, before CND (1979) no manufacturer even offered courses even up until 10 years ago when they realised that if they didn't offer something they would stay way behind. So then most compaies offered some sort of a class and that is how it still stands today, but most will sell to anyone whether thay have had a class or not, whether they are even trained or not, and we all know it.

Thats great creative offer substantial Health and safety training- to be honest- id expect it..i do not need to say im generalising because i do not wish to pick out individual private companies as i do not wish to appear product biased. Ive trained in colleges and privately but it was the college one that provided me with the more intense training in thes area.

Thats great creative offer substantial Health and safety training- to be honest- id expect it..i do not need to say im generalising because i do not wish to pick out individual private companies as i do not wish to appear product biased. Ive trained in colleges and privately but it was the college one that provided me with the more intense training in thes area.

This may be perfectly true and I could say I've seen the most incompetent nail technicians I have ever seen in my life that have had college training and received their NVQ! which would also be perfectly true but would not reflect how things really are.

There are some colleges that do great training and allot who do pants training.
There are some companies that do great training and allot who do pants training.

Maybe it would have just been best (so as not to appear product biased :eek:) to cite your own personal experience and leave it at that.

This may be perfectly true and I could say I've seen the most incompetent nail technicians I have ever seen in my life that have had college training and received their NVQ! which would also be perfectly true but would not reflect how things really are.

There are some colleges that do great training and allot who do pants training.
There are some companies that do great training and allot who do pants training.

Maybe it would have just been best (so as not to appear product biased :eek:) to cite your own personal experience and leave it at that.
very well said.. i cant agree more.. I just wish college training was more shall i say.. "updated regularly" to keep up witht he fast pace of our industry..MY personal experiences ??? LOL they are ongoing..its like a soap opera my tales.. lets hope something is done to regulate the standards soon as the newly opened NSS has done me some minor damage this week with their " buy one get one free" offer- im just waiting for the backlash and damage!!!:lol:

Latest posts

Back