Nails melted in swimming pool?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n@iledit

Reaction score
hi geeks, i have just spoke to a client and she say's her nails melted in a swimming pool whilst on her holiday, also another girl who was in the same pool had the same thing happen (2nd girl not my client) why could this be????
thanks in advance for any help xx

*edit* these are gel nails

Last edited:
Hi there
Are they a Soak Off Gel? If so then I'm thinking it's the chemicals in the pool (used to keep it clean and hygienic, like chlorine) that have soaked into the gel and made them in their words 'melt'.
However if it is a Buff Off Gel then I'm not sure why this would have happened as hard gel isn't porous x

its NSI buff of gel :/ very strange! thanks for replying x

Super strong chlorine? Blimey...

Super strong chlorine? Blimey...

yeh it must have been :/
she complained an apparently they just about laughed at her when she said she will be billing them for a new set (her holiday was awful from start to finish so came home early).

Sorry to hear your client had a terrible holiday...

Chemically there is nothing at all in a pool (legally at least) that could effect gel or l&p nails like this ... Only acetone and some truly nasty chemicals will 'melt' enhancement products.And none of these would have been present in concentrations strong enough (would have been noticed on skin long before effecting the nails...)

Deet containing insect repelants can effect the surface of enhancements too..

Personally I would want more info on the conditions and what other activities were undertaken, plus of course to see them in person -

Did they have a top coat (non gel?) perhaps this is what was 'melted'?

Hth's

Jungle Spray (insect repellant) is known to affect soak off gel nails, I was told this on my training when at Bio Sculpture Gel. I would put my money on this & the fact that the system had already been compromised the water just finished it off...

The others are right. It will not be the swimming pool it will be Deet found in insect repellent or her suntan lotion or aftersun lotion.

Swimming in our pool everyday now the weather has warmed up. We check chemical levels are correct every other day and no problem with my nails - I alternate between Gelish and Bio.

Jo xx

Hmm, I'm wondering what her skin looks like. If it melted her nails, I'm sure her skin would have been irritated too. I would guess it has to be her SPF lotion or tanning lotion. I'm curious as to what they look like. Can you get a picture of them?

Latest posts

Back