Nails | Neon Nail Polish Illegal In The USA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Who the heck knew? The latest story to do the beauty blog rounds comes courtesy of Jan Arnold's interview with MORE. Apparently, neon nail polish is illegal in the USA! It may be one of the coolest trends to hit the catwalk in a while, and it's a pretty damn perfect accessory to put a spring in your step for summer, but according to co-founder and creative director of CND Colours...it's illegal.

"Neon polish is actually illegal to produce in the US so if you see a neon shade in the store, it's imported - or your polish hue is just really bright, not a true neon, making it easier to pull off." Unfortunately, Arnold doesn't go on to tell MORE why it's illegal and despite some serious trawling of the interweb cyber highway, this Ed. can't find it out either.

I shall, however, endeavour to discover the secret behind this head scratcher and I'll let you know as soon as I do!

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• neon.jpg
    neon.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 400
is it to do with it being radio active ? or is the luminous (glow in the dark) ?

Definition of the Neon Element A rare, inert gaseous element occurring in the atmosphere to the extent of 18 parts per million and obtained by fractional distillation of liquid air.

I'm sure Neon in nail polish would be illegal but not a neon color of polish, unless I'm missing something...

Maybe it is some thing to do with the lead content? Or maybe it is just one of those old laws that are weird, like no frying fish at the side of the road on Tuesdays etc?

I cant wait to find out why!

I remember Doug Schoon talking about why CND didn't make neon colours. It was something to do with the pigments not approved for cosmetics by the FDA. I will try and find it

How very odd!

I remember Doug Schoon talking about why CND didn't make neon colours. It was something to do with the pigments not approved for cosmetics by the FDA. I will try and find it

You are right Della, neon pigments are only approved for cosmetic use in the EU. When I was involved in Cosmetics Manufacturing a few years ago this was an issue, as the FDA don't approve neons or certain glitters for anything but soap making x

You are right Della, neon pigments are only approved for cosmetic use in the EU. When I was involved in Cosmetics Manufacturing a few years ago this was an issue, as the FDA don't approve neons or certain glitters for anything but soap making x

Thank you! I can't find it. It was on Doug's Facebook page ( I know it was, it was me that asked him lol) but not in an article and I know it was just after The Event II but that is now lost in hyperspace.

I'm sure he would clarify again but I'll leave that up to The Ed :hug:

Definition of the Neon Element A rare, inert gaseous element occurring in the atmosphere to the extent of 18 parts per million and obtained by fractional distillation of liquid air.

I'm sure Neon in nail polish would be illegal but not a neon color of polish, unless I'm missing something...

Neon in nail polish would be an interesting prospect, as it's a gas!

It's pretty harmless though, unless you breathe it in in large quantities (in which case it can act as a "simple asphyxiant" - in that it's taking the place of oxygen - just like why breathing in high concentrations of helium can be dangerous as well as making you sound like Mickey Mouse).

Neon lights work by passing electricity through a tube containing neon (the electric current excites the electrons in the neon atoms, causing them to emit light when they fall back down to their original energy levels).

Fluorescent dyes, such as those in "day-glo" cosmetics, work by absorbing UV light, and emitting visible light... again it's all due to exciting electrons and having them emit light when they lose energy and revert to their original energy levels.

Neon in nail polish would be an interesting prospect, as it's a gas!

It's pretty harmless though, unless you breathe it in in large quantities (in which case it can act as a "simple asphyxiant" - in that it's taking the place of oxygen - just like why breathing in high concentrations of helium can be dangerous as well as making you sound like Mickey Mouse).

Neon lights work by passing electricity through a tube containing neon (the electric current excites the electrons in the neon atoms, causing them to emit light when they fall back down to their original energy levels).

Fluorescent dyes, such as those in "day-glo" cosmetics, work by absorbing UV light, and emitting visible light... again it's all due to exciting electrons and having them emit light when they lose energy and revert to their original energy levels.
I love reading your posts :)

Hi Geeks,

Just wanted to update you with the response I have received from Doug Schoon as to why neon is illegal in USA produced polishes.

"All cosmetic colorants must be FDA approved and no neon colorants are approved by the FDA."

I've emailed back to ask why that is the case. Watch this space.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Ruth, you're such a smarty pants, you put the rest of us to shame. lol :wink2:

Latest posts

Back