Nails not up to scratch...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeupartistzoe

Reaction score
Hello Geeks,

I didn't trade test a new nail tech- yes that was bloody stupid- I've tested everyone else in the salon/seen their work before I started- lesson learnt I won't do that again. She was recommended to me by a salon client that works for a nail supplier so I just didn't think she wouldn't be anything less than amazing...anyway...

All my staff are self employed and it's brill, hairdressers rent chairs, beauty therapists rent the room and for the last 9 months (since we opened) an amazing nail tech has been renting the nail desk 2 days per week. She is very experienced, amazing-to the point of ccomplete perfection with what she does-acrylics, shellac, minx, rockstar, manis and pedis. She can only work 2 days per week as she has a little one so the cost of her renting the space from me and then putting him in nursery means she is better to just work 2 salon days and then the rest at home. I don't care as shes amazing and fully booked and we all share clients. It has started to get tricky when some clients that were just salon clients noticed started going to her home for their nails rather than coming into the salon as she is so busy and we have turned away so many new clients as the desk sits empty 3 days per week and when shes on a day off. I suggested an extra day but coz of childcare she would rather stick to 2, I just needed an extra person in mainly to cope with the volume of shellac...

..Our new tech has only been in 2 weeks, 2 days per week and already has been nice and busy, and fitted in perfectly with the rest of the team. however myself and my main hairdresser have noticed a few probs...shes slow (45 mins to do shellac application- just on bare nails) it's looking messy (the colour is coming to close to the cuticle and isn't smooth) and it's chipping (on our hairdresser with our nail tech her hands are perfect for the 14 days but with our new lady it's chipping and peeling after 4.)

...So I need to say something and suggest a plan of action. I don't want the reputation of the salon and our amazing nail tech to be tainted. Shall I suggest more training? Or to slightly under charge our original prices until she gets to the level I want her to be- just saying to new clients it's because shes new and a bit slow?

What would you do???
Please help me!

Maybe because she is new she is nervous and isnt doing it to her normal standard. Maybe you could have a chat with her and sort out some practice sessions to get her confidence up. Its a difficult one.

xx

Maybe because she is new she is nervous and isnt doing it to her normal standard. Maybe you could have a chat with her and sort out some practice sessions to get her confidence up. Its a difficult one.

xx

I agree i think she will improve after practise,give her a chance and lower the price slightly i think.
I am getting back into nails at the moment after a while of not practising therefore lack of experience. i feel it is just a confidence thing and after practise confidence and quality will improve dramatically :)

Maybe it's nerves and she is finding her feet ,
has she had training in shellac ? Maybe that would help with conference and technique.

Just because she isn't meeting standards dosent mean that she can't it sounds more like her skills need building ,

Is there a way you cold get the other nail tech to give her some sort of in house training ?
I know there all self employed but if they are charging the same / using same products then your staff all have to have a bit of Unity within treatments and how they are carried out ,

I would ask your main nail tech if it was ok for the new tech to maybe sit in on a few treatments to learn from her, And to give her some tips afterwards. could also be good for her to watch your new tech do shellac. Then she wont lose confidence in her work and itll just seem like your wanting them to know eachothers work and techniques..

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much. It's tricky as it takes so long to get a good rep and managing staff isn't one of my strengths!

xxx

Latest posts

Back