nails on a 6 year old

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emmsy I think it's different if you are a nail tech and can keep a watchful eye on things . . . :hug:

totally agree that to even mention child abuse on this thread is way OTT. :mad:

6 is just soooo ickle, it's still infant school isn't it.

My kids are 8 & 10 at the moment, they both had lovely little French manicures (done with polish) for the summer hols, rhinestones too, god they were fiddly!

Yeah, My kids know that they only have them on for treats, and i like doing them, we get to sit and chat face to face for over an hour ..its nice bonding time for me and my kids lol

But yes i also think it is different for me because I am a nail technician.

(i still love saying that...I never get bored of it haha)

well i can see wher you r coming from but yohu can see your girls nails every day and thay know about what you do so thay can lookafter them. and i did tell er i thought you can get little ones from clairs which may not have bin the best idea ,but i was thinking more about she little and leave these thing for the right age plenty of time for that. im not sure thay know whats involved im sure she wouldnt have sat still for a start. wouldnt say child abuse

Emmsybabes

You Are A Nail Technician

:lol::lol:

I'm sure the comment wasn't really meant as it has been construed and it wasn't directed at anyone, just someones elses opinion.

well i can see wher you r coming from but yohu can see your girls nails every day and thay know about what you do so thay can lookafter them. and i did tell er i thought you can get little ones from clairs which may not have bin the best idea ,but i was thinking more about she little and leave these thing for the right age plenty of time for that. im not sure thay know whats involved im sure she wouldnt have sat still for a start. wouldnt say child abuse

Their fingers are always in their mouths too, and I bet she would have nibbled bits off (and maybe swallowed them)

Their fingers are always in their mouths too, and I bet she would have nibbled bits off (and maybe swallowed them)
you're totally right hun,
not only that, it is bloomin difficult doing little ones nails, even painting them can be a mission lol,
its the ming that gets underneath that is a worrying thought too....you know what little kids are like...you clean them up..turn around, and they are full of chocolate, mud and jam again :lol:

Oh and did I mention...I am a nail technician :green:

Yeah, My kids know that they only have them on for treats, and i like doing them, we get to sit and chat face to face for over an hour ..its nice bonding time for me and my kids

But yes i also think it is different for me because I am a nail technician.

(i still love saying that...I never get bored of it haha)
BUT.... even so, just bear in mind that other people at school etc. may think this is the latest trend.
Don't get me wrong. I understand about the bonding time and do my best with that one but please hun..don't do it.
You will be making a rod for your own back with it.
My nail art... yes..my little girl has had the lot.
But that is the only thing.
Sorry I don't want to make you cross but as you know I have to say it.:hug:

BUT.... even so, just bear in mind that other people at school etc. may think this is the latest trend.
Don't get me wrong. I understand about the bonding time and do my best with that one but please hun..don't do it.
Awww hun, you never made me cross :hug:
This is a good topic to discuss I like dicussions like this...we all get our side across and listen to others...we all learn from good discussions,

For example I had never thought of other kids looking at my girls nails and then wanting them too, so you have made me think about that,

Its the child abuse comment that got my back up, as i have done my girls nails, this comment minght aswell be directed at me too,
so for that reason I had to get my reasons for doing so out, then that sent me on a waffling session :lol:

I get that it is totally different for this mum wanting her kids nails done, I do wonder why..(coz im nosey like that hahaha)

And I promise as anyone who knows me from round and about the site, I DO respect and listen to others oppinons, and I am very (if not too) open minded,
I even respect that (cant remember who it was) thinks of this as a form of child abuse ( mabey it wasnt ment in the context i took it, i dont know)
I just don't agree with it,

My girls dont have nails on all the time, its really is one off's,
I did them a few months ago, then during the summer hols, which I didnt remove before they went back to school, so they had them on for a few days in the term too,

They actually pestered and pestered..and now they're not even bothered lol,
they think its too boring sitting still for all that time :lol:

I am in college at the moment and one of the other students had an under 16 client in the other day to put acrylics on! The girl was sat there with her mum at the side! I would not bring a client in under 16.

I saw the young girl at a dance class where I take my daughter and I had a quick look to see if she still had the nails on but I don't think she did. My guess is she picked them off. Not good for her nails.

I agree that 6 is too young, however once they hit teens it becomes a grey area. My elder daughter was always very girly girly and looked after her nails really well. My younger daughter I refused to do - she was a tomboy and they wouldn't have lasted the day.

I think what you need to do is educate these mothers. As someone said, it was probably pressure from the daughter and so she'd thought she'd just ask. Now what I used to say was that I wouldn't have done then on my own daughter until she was 16 (even though the other one had then at 14!). I'd explain that they aren't like stick ons. That they need regular maintenance that is costly for one of such a young age. That they are not suited to children due to all the games they play. That many schools now have banned them .... and so on.

As said, many people just don't understand about enhancements and this is your opportunity to explain and educate.

I have overlaid my friends daughters nails with clear calgel before.She had just grown them and had a bit of free edge.
We were trying to see if it might get her out of the biting habit.It didn't she bit them as well.She was 9 at the time.
In this case personally i didn't see any problem with doing it.It didnt really notice that she had anything on.The calgel was just adding strength and hopefully reminding her not to bite.

hi, she just said she han no nails and wanted some, ye just like that wot did she think i was puting them on to a 6 year old nials are going to be small SHES 6 :eek: i dont know what she thinking.
well ste hun....you done what many would have done and said no....your right...if her daughter has small nails and wants her nails to look bigger then she has to wait till she grows up......it makes you want to :grr: when you here this....xxx

I just wanted to point out that I did not say it was 'child abuse', which I interpret as sexual abuse and violence. Of course I do not think applying nail extensions is in the same league. There is a difference between abuse and child abuse.

However, children are not supposed to be responsible for themselves; it is our job as adults to guide them and care for them, and the reason I do not personally agree with the application of enhancements on youngsters is because their nail beds are not yet fully developed. Similarly I wouldn't put my daughter in heels, as her feet are not yet fully developed.

I was the first person to say my comment was OTT, I just couldn't think of a more appropriate term. Thank you Cathie for pointing out my comments may be being misconstrued, and thank you Emmsy (I think) for acknowledging I am entitled to my opinion.

I have overlaid my friends daughters nails with clear calgel before.She had just grown them and had a bit of free edge.
We were trying to see if it might get her out of the biting habit.It didn't she bit them as well.She was 9 at the time.
In this case personally i didn't see any problem with doing it.It didnt really notice that she had anything on.The calgel was just adding strength and hopefully reminding her not to bite.

9 is still very different from 6 imo.

I agree whole heartedly with this...as it should NOT send out messages that it is the latest trend.

I would NEVER put a set of enhancements on a child under 16.END OF.

I actually never saw Zoes statment as "child abuse" OTT either.Yes it was a profound statement to make,but for that poor child at 6 to have a set of enhancements on at the mothers consent is an absolute outrage.:irked:

I think there have been some harsh responses to Zo Zo's statement. She is absolutely right, in my opinion, applying enhancements to a 6 year old IS abuse (not to be confused with child abuse which suggests something of a violent or sexual nature) just in the same way that, in my opinion, it is abuse when people have their childrens ears pierced, sometimes before they are even old enough to speak in protest! If a parent does something which compromises the health and/or safety of their child, whether it be beauty related or otherwise, then this in my opinion is abuse and Zo Zo was absolutely right to speak her opinion in this way.
This however, is not to be confused with qualified techs applying enhancements to their own children, because clearly we know what to do and how to care for them and safely remove them, and so that element of compromising a childs health or safety is not an issue in the same way as someone who walks into a salon (presumably unqualified in enhancements) asking for her 6 year old to have enhancements. I'm sorry that some geeks seem to have taken this personally, I am sure it wasnt meant in this way, personally, I have applied enhancements to some younger members of my family, but I did this knowing that I could keep an eye on them, regularly maintain them and safely remove them. I recently got married and the younger ladies in the wedding party wanted nice long nails to go with their outfits (the girls were aged 11, 12 and 15). One is my own, 2 are my nieces. I had parental consent for all girls concerned, I did them to a moderate length (despite protests!), and after the wedding, they were soaked off. I wouldnt do them for such young girls other than a special occasion, and I would not dream of applying enhancements to anyone under 16 who approached me as a paying customer, parental consent or not.

Anyway, well done for not applying nails to the 6 year old!

I think that a parent putting enhancements on a 6yr old is irresponsible and yes, abusive. the child will not know how to be careful with her hands and in the end, likely to bite them or tear them off or break them; thereby causing pain.

Not only is it abusive in my eyes, I think it's shoddy parenting.

JUST MY OPINION! you dont have to agree or like it.

Children should be CHILDREN and NOT miniature adults.
It's INNAPROPRIATE!

The woman's lucky she didn't come see me. She would have gotten an earful, that's for certain. Unprofessional of me? Perhaps. But someone has to speak out for children when their own parents are plainly off their rockers.

I RARELY paint my children's nails. I discourage it.
Why? if I'm painting them at 4 & 6yrs of age, they'll want enhancements by 10 or 12. Which to my mind, is way too young and innapropriate.
My children don't need to look like Britney Spears.
I also refuse to buy "mini-adult" clothes for my children. They are dressed as little girls should be (and let me tell you, it's HARD to find appropriate clothes). And I also won't put shoes on them that have platforms or heels. Again, what happened to good old black patent mary jane shoes?

I'm also against those pageants they have for children. I think it's downright terrible.
but, just my opinion.

You were RIGHT to refuse the service, and I applaud you!
:hug:

Latest posts

Back