nails on a 6 year old

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste

Reaction score
hi all, today I have bin asked to do a full set of nails on a 6 year old :eek: over the xmass hols, wots wrong with people and she seemed a little put out when I said NO ! I also said she would be hard pushed to find anyone to do this for her well i think so, and hope so.:mad:

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/36288-dilemma-nails-under-16s.html

That thread offers an insight on applying nails on under 16's, but I think you were right in refusing to do them on a 6 year old.

Did the girls mother say why she wanted them done?

There's no way that a 6 year old is responsible enough to have enhancements, no way on this earth.

6?!! Omg that is crazy what is the world coming to! :eek:

Maybe the child is a biter & her Mum thought this would get her to stop chewing!

I have never been asked to do someone so young & would not either if I was (asked!)

What I have done in the past is promise the child of a regular client who is a biter, that if she stops chewing & grows her nails a bit I would paint her nails with some pretty art as a treat/reward the next time she visits with her Mum, it usually works!

Extensions no way! A bit of polish & some daisies - yay!

hi, she just said she han no nails and wanted some, ye just like that wot did she think i was puting them on to a 6 year old nials are going to be small SHES 6 :eek: i dont know what she thinking.

hi all, today I have bin asked to do a full set of nails on a 6 year old :eek: over the xmass hols, wots wrong with people and she seemed a little put out when I said NO ! I also said she would be hard pushed to find anyone to do this for her well i think so, and hope so.:mad:

You did the right thing by saying no.
I just hope she doesn't take her somewhere dodgy and they do them.
If I saw a child of this age with a full set I would struggle not to say something to the mother tbh.

That`s mad, 6 is still a baby and I can`t imagine what they would look like either!!
Nail art and pretty colours is a much better way to go surely.

I know this is going to sound OTT but frankly I think a parent doing that to their child is tantamount to abuse. What are they thinking!! So glad you said no Ste

that what i thought she ment af first she said can you do ****s nails so of course i said yes i can polish them she said no i mean well you know the rest i dont think i would do anyones under 16 i mean not even 14/15

That`s mad, 6 is still a baby and I can`t imagine what they would look like either!!
Nail art and pretty colours is a much better way to go surely.

Yes it is. For halloween I had a lot of little girls here and I painted their nails black and they wanted spiderwebs on them...it was hard work because they have such little nails.
But a bit of enamel can be easily removed...imagine having to remove a set on the poor kid when school starts back??
This is a mother who wants her child to have something other kids haven't got...how selfish of her.

thing is i was socked when she asked she not that sort of mum, you know pushy mine girls better than yours thing.

Another case of children not being allowed to be children i`m afraid and imagine the damage to her tiny nail beds if she were to wrench one off!!
Irrisponsible......and glad you said no! x

thing is i was socked when she asked she not that sort of mum, you know pushy mine girls better than yours thing.

I feel really upset that a mum would do that :cry:

And shocked!

me to as i said she is nice and a nice mum may be the little girl has gone on and on that much she said she would ask :confused:

Good I'm glad you said NO I would not have done it either. My daughter is 13 and i wouldn't do it on her. Cheers to you for sticking to your guns!!! A job well done!

I have to admit that there is an ad on tv at the moment for little girls.
It's a kit that makes stick on nails and nail art so maybe she's seen that? I can't remember what it's called.
It seems to be being marketed for Christmas so maybe some parents don't fully understand about enhancements.
I did laugh when I watched it though I have to admit.....my little girl gave me a look when I asked her if she'd like it...."why have a dog and bark yourself" sort of attitude:lol:
But, in all fairness I have to say that the majority of the general public don't understand what it really is about, maybe the little girl has asked for something similar?

:irked: I have a 7 year old and have just splashed out on some polishes that have no toulene, DBP or formaldehyde just for her.. because she is a girly girl and gets just as much excitement from a new addition to my polish collection as I.. but the fact is.. its not good for them to be exposed to that many chemicals at such tender ages!
Good on you for saying no.. but then again who would say yes??

I would have said no too. Ridiculous!

A definate no from this corner too.....my daughter will be 6 in December and is always asking me for 'those white nails' you have mummy.....no chance.....a french mani yes, but enhancements not....:eek: She's still a fluffy baby.

I tell her that she can have them when she is older and I have trained her up to work in the salon .....her and her wee mate believe I'm going to give them both a salon to run when they're 16 lmao!

I've seen the ad you mean Judy.....probably a Barbie thing but you know there will be parents sticking them on with super glue to make them last longer I'm sure.......whenever I've done any practice tips I let them stick them on their nails with blue tac and that's it!

Ok I would have said No too, and think you did the right thing,
But I don't think a mum wanting a little girl to have enhancements can be compared to child abuse :eek:

Why not ? Because I have done my childrens nails, yes enhancements..aged 8 and 10 they are...
I didnt do it because I want my kids to have things others dont,or anything like that, I just wanted to treat them,

Did i do it because I want my children to be seen as mini grown up's or sexual beings OF COURSE NOT,:irked:

I did both my daughters nails pretty and natural looking, my youngest is a biter, and when i removed the enhancements she was over the moon at her own natural free edges,
My eldest has very long natural nails, which often get dirty , and are a yellowy colour, so i enhanced them to look clean and neat..which then gave her pride, and encouraged her to look after her nails more.

Now wether you see this differently as I am a nail technician, and I know what I am doing, and can keep an eye on my girls and how they use their nails..or not, I don't know,
But one thing for sure....is I am a mum who loves her girls, and wanted to treat them to some girlie pampering and some of the reasons mentioned on this thread never even entered my head..
to compare it with child abuse etc,,,shocks me so much.

O btw, I do respect people having their own oppinions on this subject, so I would appreciate it , if you respect mine too x

oooooh better just add I would never consider doing anyone under the age of 14/15 (with parental consent) other than my own kids...just incase anyone thinks i recommend doing it on children or anything I DONT lol,
I only did my own childrens because ....well they're mine :D

Latest posts

Back