Nails ping off!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skorpy

Reaction score
Firstly, I would like to say hi to everyone.
I am new here. It is nice to be able to chat to other Nail Techs and get some advice.

I have been a qualified beautician for 13 years. This included basic Manicure and Pedicure. 5 months ago, I qualified in Gel Nail extensions/ Gel overlay and Gel polish!
I use The Edge products. But some of my clients have come back saying after 5 or 6 days, their nails ping off. Now I am not sure if this is true, or they are trying to pull a freebie. But here is my prep and application. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong! Thanks.

1. Sanitise myself and clients hands.
2. Push back cuticles
3. Shape nails and take shine off the nail plate using a white block.
3. Dust nail
4. Use a cleanser to clean the nail plates.
5. Use a dehydrator and leave to dry.
6. Apply tips with strong glue using the rock on motion, so no air bubbles are present.
7. cut/shape and take shine off the tips
8. Dust off
9. Add primer to natural nail only and wait to dry
10. Apply very thin amount of gel, working it into the nail (cure 2 mins)
11. Apply slightly thicker layer (cure 2 mins)
12. Apply second slightly thicker layer (cure 2 mins)
13. Build up apex and make sure stress area is covered.... (making sure most the gel is in the middle of the nail) Cure 2 mins
14. wipe off sticky residue.

And there you have it. Can you find anything, I am doing wrong?

I appreciate any feedback :)

I cant comment on the gel side of things but i would say nail dehydrater should be applied atfer you apply and shaped the tips etc x

You should probably use a better-end brand. They are not all the same you know? Better end gives better results.

Last edited:
I was taught to apply primer all over nail plate and tip for better adhesion. Not sure if that is right with the edge as i trained with nsi.

Maybe try a better brand than the edge. Nsi do a sample of 3 gels,builder clear,builder radiant pink and brush on French white for a very reasonable price.

Brisa do not do samples as you have to be trained in Brisa to use the products but maybe give sweet squared a call.

There is also young nails synergy gel,I have heard good things about that also.

The edge isn't very good in my opinion from what I have been told. Do a search on here and lots of useful info will pop up x

I cant comment on the gel side of things but i would say nail dehydrater should be applied atfer you apply and shaped the tips etc x

Never tried to add dehydrater to the nail after applying tips. But it is worth a go. Thanks

You should probably use a better-end brand. They are not all the same you know? Better end gives better results.

Yes, you could be right. I was thinking maybe The edge could be the problem. What do you use? if you don't mind me asking

I was taught to apply primer all over nail plate and tip for better adhesion. Not sure if that is right with the edge as i trained with nsi.

I was told never to apply primer to the tip, only the natural nail. Hmmm, confused now haha :)

Yes, you could be right. I was thinking maybe The edge could be the problem. What do you use? if you don't mind me asking

i'm sorry i can't help it but i think that's so funny.
go to the search tab and type in geeg.

Aww bless you hunni. You will soon become acustomed to the genius that is Geeg. One of the most respected nail techs in our fab industry. Welcome to the site. There is a world of info on here.:)

and geeg is most definatly not sitting on any fence she is CND to the back bone. welcome to salon geek...

Obviously as I am new. I don't know how it all works lol. >_>

I think I will have to follow in your footsteps geeg, and try this CND. Costs more. But as they say. You get what you paid for. So it has to be worth it! :)

I think I will have to follow in your footsteps geeg, and try this CND. Costs more. But as they say. You get what you paid for. So it has to be worth it! :)
Oh, it's definitely worth it! :biggrin:
And just so you know, (contrary to what some believe) I have (and still use) used lots and lots of products and in my line of business I have tried many many more on myself. If I am not sitting on fences it is because I know what I want from a product!

It's not about 'what works for me' as everyone LOVES to say (I can make them all work). ; for me it is about what WORKS for the clients, lasts the longest, looks the most beautiful and is EASIEST for me ... Less products to buy, minimal and gentle prep, QUALITY and backed by the best and continuing education.

I like being associated with a company who is the first to bring out new products using new technology. If I wrote a list of CND 'firsts' you would all be amazed at how many there are ... CND always raise the bar higher and others play catch up (which is good for the industry as a whole) ...
:Love:

Last edited:
Sounds great. I love self leveling Gels. Much less filing to be done.

It works out at £** for a pot of brisa Gel. But it seems a nice size pot.
I will give it a go and order some, and let you know how I get on :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
And thanks for the feed back all. Appreciate it!

Sounds great. I love self leveling Gels. Much less filing to be done.

It works out at xxx for a pot of brisa Gel. But it seems a nice size pot.
I will give it a go and order some, and let you know how I get on :cool:

There is a bit more to it than ordering and giving it a go! lol
You must use the CND Lamp to cure Brisa so that is an extra expense as well and Brisa is not a self-leveling gel (which tend to run all over the nail plate and into the side walls). Brisa stays where you put it and only the surface 'tends to smooth out' when curing which is the bomb as it makes filing a breeze (or should I say, a Brisa?) :biggrin: !!

The write up I looked at says it is self leveling lol.

I found with self leveling, it only goes into the side walls if you put too thick a layer on. This is one of the reasons why some people get heat spikes when curing!

Why do you need to use a CND lamp? Does it not cure like other gel?

But expense means nothing if it is as good as it is portrayed. Worth every penny if it looks and lasts well :)

uv product summary
This will answer your lamp question (and many others you haven't even thought of)

Brisa is self leveling. But not like most other 'self leveling' gels that are actually just 'runny'
Brisa stays where you put it and softens the shape to 'level'
It's actually a wonderful gel to work with and was/is a true first in so many ways to the gel market. Not to mention truly hypoallergenic, workable, wearable, durable and lasting ...

Well, the more I look and read on it, and you guys saying about it. The more I am defo getting this :wink2:

Thank you so much all.

Oh and btw, what Tips do you recommend...as because I have been working for myself for 5 months after I passed. I stuck with what I used in my training. And the tips I use seem to crack/snap easy. Not good for the heavy handed lol. I think it's is time to venture out for the better gear :biggrin:

www.CND.com

Everything Cnd is stunning ...

Uk distributor is sweet squared

Latest posts

Back