Nails popping off!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlitzyGlam08

Reaction score
So I have posted similar topics but I just haven't got a good enough answer. I have never had this problem. My clients nails are So I have posted similar topics but I just haven't got a good enough answer. I have never had this problem. My clients nails are POPPING OFF. At my old salon I had to use her products which were OPI with Bond Aid dehydrator and No Lift Nails Primer. Now I am using my own products. I purchased my acrylic system online, from envynailsupply.com. I use their powder and liquid but continue to use the same primer and dehydrator. I am doing my prep the same. A nail tech friend told me to check my primer to make sure there was no dust in it, there wasn't.. But there was a lot in my dehydrator. Could that have been my problem? :(

Last edited:
I would have to say its probably a change in your acrylic system. You should only use products in the line that you are using, otherwise you can have problems. CND Retention is a good acrylic for problem lifters. I have lifting on myself with OPI Absolute but no lifting with the Retention

Hi glitzyglam.

You commented last time this was only on hairdressers. So...

Is it only the same client or is it others?
Did you do them on her day off?
How long until they 'pop off'?
Are they lifting from the edges first?
Or lifting from the middle (like 1 big bubble)?
Have you done conversion training with envy?
Or are you applying the same as you did with opi?
You profile says you use ezflow, yet you say you have used opi and now envy. Which have you done trainings with?
Are the nails damaged before application?
Are they showing signs of damage after 'popping off'?
you also said shellac won't stay on her, is this still the case too?

More info will help with more specific answers. They advice you had was good based on what you told us...

Last edited:
I hate to hear you say that.. I jut dropped $25 on a bottle of monomer that I haven't even received in the mail yet..

Envy,
Sorry.. I haven't updated my profile. I haven't used ezflo in a long, long time.. I haven't had "real" training with any company. I do educate myself before just "jumping in" but its very hard to get actual real training where i live.
When I posted last time it was just the girl I worked with .. Her acrylics nor shellac would stay on. But today I had been informed a few girls who's nails I had done had not came back because their nails 'popped off'.. I don't know how they looked, how they lifted, etc because like I said, they didn't come back. But I did get to re-do one of them (a girl who had very short bitten nails) and her nails were not damaged at all.. So I'm wondering if I did not etch them well enough?

Last edited:
Firstly real training is a must - I strongly urge you to get some. Then you would know the whys and trouble shooting from a practical view...

There is 3 areas to review in trouble shooting. Technician skill, product limitations and client causes.

Training in your chosen brand ensures you know the best manner in which to use it. Each product has its own limitations/ mix ratio. Mix ratio if wrong will ensure poor adhesion. As will knowing the prep routine needed for that specific system. No 2 brands use the same procedure or prep products and often mixing adds to your woes... The lower the product cost the greater the likelihood of poor adhesive properties...
(this is why techs eventually end up with a high cost brand that can support them)

A nail biter is likely to have subconsciously 'helped' them off in their mouth. Sideways pressure will take them off easily.

You need to see more of the other clients nails as it happens - there are still many causes that you are not able to eliminate...

Nails if applied as per the products requirements and by a skilled tech CANNOT 'pop off' ever...

Envy, thank you.. I do appreciate your help. I am attending the discover hair show in 2 weeks, there will be a lot of nail classes there so hopefully it will help me. The thing is, I have ever had issues like this, ever. It is downright embarrassing. I feel like an awful nail tech. But some of my clients have zero lifting and some of my client's nails are apparently "popping off".. So I'm not sure if It's my primer/dehydrator, acrylic system,etc. I know you guys keep saying use the same brand for everything but when I was having zero problems I was still using opi acrylic and monomer with bond aid dehydrator and no lift nails primer (the ONLY thing my boss would buy)

Last edited:
The fact some clients have no trouble should be a clue here...

But the better the foundation (nail plate) the better the end result. Only a good product will help you when you have a weak foundation. I feel this may be a client issue, combined with a product that is not offering enough strength/flexabilty but...

You 'should' have more confidence to know if it's you, the product, or the client....

You need some additional skill and training with a quality brand that can support you on their product. This is what you should have done when choosing who to change to...

Good luck with finding some training to match your choice of product. I'm sure this will help extensively

Allen

Well I think because this has never happened, I am questioning everything .. About what I do, what I use, everything. It's like I have lost confidence in everything. :( I'd hate to switch to another acrylic system ::again:: and then what if I have the same problems. Then there goes more money..

I understand it's very disheartening. This is why conversion. Training is so important and should always be offered and recommended from any new supplier. It ensures you know you are getting it right with the new product.
Often educators will also be able to help and observe any bad habits you have that will lead to trouble...

Chin up. It doesn't make you a bad tech, just a bad situation that can be made better by following logic...
Professional help = professional results
www.CND.com through here you can find the best product and training there is, maybe closer than you realize...

Hths Allen

Can i just ask if you had no problems with your previous system, is there any reason why you actually cant still stick with the system you used before?

I know you say your old boss used it but if it worked for you can you not buy more for yourself?

Could be something simple like a consistancy problem with the new system? x

Can i just ask if you had no problems with your previous system, is there any reason why you actually cant still stick with the system you used before?

I know you say your old boss used it but if it worked for you can you not buy more for yourself?

Could be something simple like a consistancy problem with the new system? x

I was wondering the same thing. OPI is a top end product.

Initially, I did start off with Opi. But I don't know If it was where I had purchased it or what? But when I applied it, it was extremely runny. So I got frustrated and ordered another brand. I know cnd and opi and some of those are top of the line but I'm kind of leaning towards young nails. They aren't overpriced like I feel some of them are. I don't want to buy a line that is so expensive I will have to raise my prices..

I'm going to stick with my original recommendation for training then

Opi is not runny at all IF you know their mix ratio...

You will have trouble with any product until you are trained how to use it

I'm honestly questioning if it may have been bad product. It was the same acrylic I had used before. I'm familiar with it. I've never had it get runny like that.. But paying $8 for a small jar .. Honestly just kind of peeved me off.

Latest posts

Back