Nails reader question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Mansfield

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks to those of you who offered your advice to the reader letter I posted last month. There were some fantastic responses there.

Could you help with this one?
"I recently qualified as a nail tech after doing a course with the Essential Nails Home Learn courses in acrylic, gel and airbrushing. I was told that the certificate I received was the equivalent to NVQ level 2. Does this mean that I can be employed by a nail salon and, if I want to, set up my own mobile nail business? I am very nervous about promoting myself as I really hope I can give my clients what they want with a high level of standard. Can you give me any advice on how to give my clients the best they deserve?"
Miss N J Hicks

Perhaps any of you who have been down this route could offer your views?

Thank you!
Kelly

In the UK there are currently no regulations (apart from in some London areas). As you have passed your Essential Nails courses this will allow you to get Insurance to work on the public. My advice would be to get bums in seats and do the best nails you can do. Also never stop learning. Look at other courses you could do to better the areas you may feel need improving.

To edit a good saying - "failure to learn is learning to fail!"

Good luck.

Yes you can be employed by a nail salon or set yourself up with a mobile business. We do not have licensing laws in this country but it is advisable for you to take out insurance which is inexpensive. I'm sure you do feel nervous but most of us did when we first started out. Your confidence will grow. Perform each service the best you can and enjoy what you do. Learning is an ongoing process, there's always something new to learn and areas in which we can improve. Welcome to the wonderful world of nails. Good luck!

Kelly Mansfield said:
Hi all,

Thanks to those of you who offered your advice to the reader letter I posted last month. There were some fantastic responses there.

Could you help with this one?
"I recently qualified as a nail tech after doing a course with the Essential Nails Home Learn courses in acrylic, gel and airbrushing. I was told that the certificate I received was the equivalent to NVQ level 2. Does this mean that I can be employed by a nail salon and, if I want to, set up my own mobile nail business? I am very nervous about promoting myself as I really hope I can give my clients what they want with a high level of standard. Can you give me any advice on how to give my clients the best they deserve?"
Miss N J Hicks

Perhaps any of you who have been down this route could offer your views?

Thank you!
Kelly

The EN Course is a home tuition course and is not monitored in a class room environment, but nails are scored via postal submission to an EN approved Technician. There is no tutor looking over your shoulder to check application technique or prepping procedures, as all is done on a non living nail, the Nail Trainer Hand........

As you are striving to give your prospective clients the best service there is, I would choose the best add on education you can possibly find.

Like all foundation nail courses, this is just the beginning in a long line of training courses..........

I would therefore suggest and I know this sounds hard and you might think," I have just spend so much money on my training and now I am ready to go", but some real life class room training will tweak your skills.

Like making sure that all your prepping is done in a correct and safe way........

Preparation of the nail plate is the foundation to any great and perfect set of nails...............

Do this updating Course, not as a novice Technician, but as a Technician wanting to be the best there is................

We all, take more courses during our time in the nail bizz; it updates our skills and makes us up to the minute Technicians........

To be honest I would not employ any one as a fully trained Technician in my salon, who had only done an EN course.........no disrespect to Essential nails...........She would have to start of as a trainee, Junior Technician.........

But I would employ a Technician that has EN certificate and also either holds a reputable Company Certificate or College Certificates, has build up a portfolio of work and has add on courses taken, this will show me that she is very serious about being the best there is and is not afraid to learn more.......

There is nothing stopping you from going as a mobile Technician and gaining valuable experience out there in the real world.................

Getting your portfolio together.......and strive for your NVQ3.............

But you will find yourself after a while in the same position............you will need to update your skills.....so more courses will be taken.......

Also on another note, insurance........some companies and associations might not recognise just the EN certificate............

Just my thought and this is not to put you off, but to make you aware that there is more to this profession then home learn education…….

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back