Nails ripped away from nail bed.. bleeding and painful please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbie*

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got acrylics on done by a very good CND Master Tec but i've done something silly. Basically I feel against my stairs and bent my fingers back from the nail. My fingers hurt a lot but don't think they are broken. Problem is my nails completely seperated from the nail bed up to about hald way down and started bleeding quite heavily.

My first instinct was to press them back down so I did so, and they have stayed there ever since. They have now stopped bleeding but are still leaking a clear fluid. They appear to be quite secure but are very painful and sensitive.

My question is have you ever seen this happen? The acrylic is still intact bar two tiny hairline cracks at the sidewall about half way down so it must have literally pulled back and taken my natural nail with it. What is going to happen? Have you ever seen a natural nail stick back down and stay there? They look Ok generally, no discolouration etc. I am seeing my tech on thursday but I don't think there is a lot she can do as acrylic is fine. Just after some sympathy and any advice I suppose :(

Poor you .. ouch!! Yes I have had clients who have fallen up the stairs .... you're not the first.

I would put a plaster around the end of the fingers that had the nail plate damage to bind them and secure them and to make you feel more comfortable. Don't wrap the nails too tight and do not enclose the ends .. let the air still get to the finger ends. Keep those nails as dry as possible.

I would not do anything for a week or so to the damaged nails. After that time you can file them shorter (sounds like they are too long anyway) and your technician can repair the small cracks so that no water can seep under the enhancements which could lead to a bacterial infection (a greenie).

Can't add anything to the great advice above but just wanted to say ouchie and hope you feel better soon

And don't forget to keep an eye on that clear fluid--it could be an infection--so watch the color surrounding your nails carefully for any puffiness, streaking and increased tenderness. If you are very careful and get those nails shortened, the new nail growth will be attached. Just get some disinfectant spray that you can spray on what can be seen to help keep infection down--because you do not want to be soaking them.

Thanks for the advice, i've got plasters on them and the clear fluid has pretty much stopped. They are still sore. They are a new set and my tec always starts them quite short so the tip is low down and can go longer between soak offs so they aren't even very long, less than a millimetre past the free edge :(

Has anyone ever heard of the nail re-attaching when it's come off then? I hope they don't fall of completely but doing my best to protect them. Thanks again x x

Thanks for the advice, i've got plasters on them and the clear fluid has pretty much stopped. They are still sore. They are a new set and my tec always starts them quite short so the tip is low down and can go longer between soak offs so they aren't even very long, less than a millimetre past the free edge :(

Has anyone ever heard of the nail re-attaching when it's come off then? I hope they don't fall of completely but doing my best to protect them. Thanks again x x

You will have to wait and see on that one .. sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. In any case your nails will not fall off although you may have some onycholysis until they grow out a bit. Very bad luck for this to have happened on nails you say are so short.

would be interested to find out how you get on with them! and good luck.

Hope they heal very soon Barbie. xxx

I'm very new to the Nail industry and am still at college, but may I ask why we wouldn't remove the nail extensions, rather than leave them on, especially if there was a clear liquid coming from the nails?

Ouch, this sounds so painfull!! Hope you feel better soon. If i had done this, i wouldn't want them removed, one i wouldn't let anyone near me with acetone, inorder to remove them, and two, even if you tried to file them down, it would still be so painfull. If it was me, I'd wait till they heal a little, until i though about removing them, but thats just me. :D x

Hello Geeks!

Would just like to say a bit thank you for the advice with regards to this little problem!

It always bothers me when you see questions like this and wonder what happened in the end, so by way of an update I will let you know what i've done to care for my poor unfortunate nails, and if anyone has any further advice at this point please do feel free to share!

Starting at nearly the beginning, my nail tech, who's been in the business for 15 years, said it's the worst accident she's ever seen. We decided on filling them, as I was going away to New York for the weekend and they were far to sensative to have no product on. Wore plasters on them (keeping the ends open to air) and they seemed fine, even as though they had stuck back down.

Left them for another month(ish) with plasters on, cue a trip to Greece where it is not fun swimming with only one hand in the water! (not getting them wet as had a feeling there was a gap under the nail, and didn't fancy and infection in there!)

Two months on and had them filled again (no tips just NNO) as it was my sisters wedding so needed them to look nice, noticed the side was lifting and whole nail a little loose, so glued temporarily and agreed to sort after wedding. After about 5 days, hit the middle nail on the car steering wheel and *ping* off it comes. Underneath I find half regular nail (grown out since accident and looking in great condition, all pink and nice) and half injured nail; reddish in colour and paper paper thin and puckered. We agree to overlay as it is sensative and tearing easily, now looking good (see picture).

Also soaked off product on index finger; whole different kettle of fish. Again had half a nice, normal looking nail. The damaged bit however was a disgrace. Very soft and bits of old nail clinging on here there and everywhere, obviously not as much of a clean break as with the other one. Couldn't bear to leave it with nothing on so overlayed this one also, as this seems to have worked to protect the new nail the rest of the time. Slight throbbing pain yesterday but today all fine. Have kept the length as short as can be and wearing plasters on them to protect/ hold down!

photo.jpg

Above is a picture of my two poor nails so you can have a look, If anyone can think of a better course of action for them then feel free to add your input! Thanks Geeks, over and out :)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this & the updates, it's been really good to hear what they are like now

Thanks for the update hun nice to hear your on the mend :0 xxxx

Latest posts

Back