Nails to eyes/brows.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlitterPink

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am a nail technician and I'm looking to train in all things lashes and brows, as well as further training in my field.
I am a stroke survivor (as well as other medical conditions) and have limited use of my left side. I have worked really hard to get the use I do have in my left arm and hand - in fact I started and completed my training as a nail tech after my stroke.
My question is... Do you think that I would be able to complete the training and carry out services? I know that it is a difficult one to answer, but if you were to tell me the downs to a service, then I could make a more informed decision. The substantial financial cost would be too hard to bare, to then realise that I physically cannot do it.

Many thanks in advance x

I think that brows are more doable. Your non-dominant hand is only needed to stretch the skin, while the other pulls the strip/wax.

Lashes on the other hand..... It's so fiddly for both hands. Your left hand will use tweezers to gently isolate one eyelash from all of the rest, and hold the lash isolated, while you use your right hand (with another pair of tweezers) to grab a false lash, dip it in glue, apply and allow time to set. Arguably these hands could be swapped, but both hands are doing some seriously fiddly delicate work. I gave up lashing after 12 months ish because I found it so difficult and tedious.

I know that online learning isn't ideal but if it were me, I'd open up a YouTube video watching the application, order yourself a basic cheap kit. An ebay one will be fine for this purpose., obviously don't use these products on a real person. A dolls head would be great, but even applying the lashes to a tray of strip lashes will be fine. Follow the video along and see if realistically your hands could mimic the processes. Then you'll know if it's worth investing into training and a proper kit x

I think that brows are more doable. Your non-dominant hand is only needed to stretch the skin, while the other pulls the strip/wax.

Lashes on the other hand..... It's so fiddly for both hands. Your left hand will use tweezers to gently isolate one eyelash from all of the rest, and hold the lash isolated, while you use your right hand (with another pair of tweezers) to grab a false lash, dip it in glue, apply and allow time to set. Arguably these hands could be swapped, but both hands are doing some seriously fiddly delicate work. I gave up lashing after 12 months ish because I found it so difficult and tedious.

I know that online learning isn't ideal but if it were me, I'd open up a YouTube video watching the application, order yourself a basic cheap kit. An ebay one will be fine for this purpose., obviously don't use these products on a real person. A dolls head would be great, but even applying the lashes to a tray of strip lashes will be fine. Follow the video along and see if realistically your hands could mimic the processes. Then you'll know if it's worth investing into training and a proper kit x

Thank you for your reply @Kyralouise it is refreshing to have an indepth reply, other than "oh sure, you'll be fine".
From what you have said, I don't think the control in my left hand is that refined. Perhaps as you say brows maybe, but is there a huge calling for this now? I see so many brow kits in Boots, Superdrug and online. That said I would never be brave enough to do my own lol.
Also, what about lash lifts and tints? Sorry to bend your ears, but it's just a thought x

Brows are huge for my business. They play a big part in current fashion. Depending on which service you offer, they can be a great little add-on. I can do a brow wax and tint in as little as 10 minutes on my regulars. I work in a hair salon, so while the hair client's are sitting around letting their colour process, they can pop through to me for a quick brow tidy. Another beautician in my salon offers lamination and HD brows and they seem to be popular. You just need to look at your client base. I always put the feelers out before I train in a new service, just to see if my clients would actually want it.

Lash lift could be a good one. This is quite popular with my clients. Takes about 1 hour and can be done every 6-8 weeks. Where lash extensions are constant two-handed work, lash lifts are more step-by-step. Similar to waxing, your left hand tends to be your anchor. I use my let pinky to balance myself while leaning over the client. You might need to stretch the eyelids briefly while securing your lash shield. But generally, my right hand does 90% of the work. You also get little breaks inbetween to rest while each solution processes x

Brows are huge for my business. They play a big part in current fashion. Depending on which service you offer, they can be a great little add-on. I can do a brow wax and tint in as little as 10 minutes on my regulars. I work in a hair salon, so while the hair client's are sitting around letting their colour process, they can pop through to me for a quick brow tidy. Another beautician in my salon offers lamination and HD brows and they seem to be popular. You just need to look at your client base. I always put the feelers out before I train in a new service, just to see if my clients would actually want it.

Lash lift could be a good one. This is quite popular with my clients. Takes about 1 hour and can be done every 6-8 weeks. Where lash extensions are constant two-handed work, lash lifts are more step-by-step. Similar to waxing, your left hand tends to be your anchor. I use my let pinky to balance myself while leaning over the client. You might need to stretch the eyelids briefly while securing your lash shield. But generally, my right hand does 90% of the work. You also get little breaks inbetween to rest while each solution processes x

Thank you again @Kyralouise
That has given me much food for thought.
I looked at a video last night and agree with you, the lash extensions look quite fiddly. I honestly don't think I would be able to do that.

I'm currently off work as I have flu, so may take the time to do some more research.

Thanks again xx

Latest posts

Back