Nails verses hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liza smith

Reaction score
I would like to chuck the cat among the pigeons!

Quite often when I log on here, there are numerous posts about "what training shall I do?"

The general topic of conversation is centred around "cheap" vrs "expensive"

Let me pose a question that may help some of you decide where you stand on this subject.

Would you let someone cut or colour your hair if they had completed less than a weeks education?

I'm guessing that most would decline.

As a hairdresser, beauty therapist and nail artist of 27 years, I can honestly say that to learn how to do enhancements well, took me as long as it did to learn how to cut hair.

Whether you decide to go the longer route at college then convert to a brand, or spend more money doing a longer than 3 days private class and follow up with continual classes to support you on your way is up to you.

But seriously, 1 or 2 days? ............

I agree! I have been studying along with my full time job for 6 months and have not yet completed level 2 nail tech. It's been hard work and I have mani and pedi as a base along with A an P which I feel is essential before you even start the artistic bit. I've done Calgel and Gelish so far too. But this is only the very start and being good takes practice and patience.
2-3 days courses? Not on the same scale at all.

Honestly, I've just started on a level 3 nail tech course at college, and I cannot imagine having to learn what I've learned so far in a few short days, I mean, what about practicing each new skill over and over as you learn? I just can't see how you can be as technically skilled after only doing a few days course....and with 2 days training NOBODY would be cutting my hair!!!

:)

X

Unfortunate thing is, people ARE getting away with it... how they do it AND make money, i'll never know?!

I did my course through the local college, took a year and even at the end of it I learnt so much more, probably more than the course taught me - they were shockingly useless looking back - thank the Lord for Salon Geek otherwise I know 100% I wouldn't have the business I have today!

It has been said before that the long run of college has some advantages and decent mid length private courses have different advantages.
College courses are more achievable financially and within an existing job, but a decent private class will have almost 1-1 attention.
The ones that are letting the industry and the students down are companies looking to take advantage of an industry that is rapidly growing by offering the least amount of education that they can get away with. :(
There will always be some students that work hard, do loads of extra research online supporting their own education.
The reason that I posted this is backed up by the amount of posts that come from newbies that have had some training but have a worryingly stark lack of the basics.
At least they are posting on here and maybe they will get the info they need and more importantly find suitable additional training that will bolster their original education.
To return to my original point, the saying, "buy cheap, buy twice!" has never been truer!

A lot of people don't understand how much knowledge it takes to be a colourist/hairdresser when they can buy a colour in the supermarket/store for £2.99 and it's "just as good".

I'm currently at college doing a Level 2 Beauty VRQ but I already have my own nail business and am fully trained. Some of students have told me about their Gel Nail kit that they have bought in Boots to do their own nails (and their friends and relatives too). Bought for ca.£70 why would they "spend £25 for one treatment" with me. We have started doing file and polish and they have panicked because they can't paint nails, and have asked me for tips.

I believe this is partly to blame for the misinformation as to why it's fine to do a couple of days course and become a tech/stylist/extensionist.

Boots also sell dental repair kits, I'm surprised that not more people set themselves up as DIY dentists, tbh!

One recurring problem at the moment is students doing a very short course to do manicure, then booking on with us to do their CND Shellac training.
It is becoming more common that I am having to teach manicure techniques on what should be a product knowledge course.
This isn't a problem, I gladly welcome new students and a adore teaching natural nail basics (the up to date version!)
The situation illuminates to the students that there is a gap in their knowledge and they will need to attend more classes to feel confident with clients.
This is frustrating to them, but is obviously preferable to them doing a half day class and buying their "shellac" online :rolleyes:!

Latest posts

Back