Nailympics in May

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetty

Lost and happy geek!
Reaction score
I'm thinking about entering the Nailympics - am I mad??!! It would be in the Novice category (cos I've never entered a comp except for on here!), and I have absolutely no idea if I'm good enough.......:eek:

I've got some work in the gallery, not much P&W though..... Does anyone have an opinion based on what you can see there? If I do should I enter tip & overlay or sculpt?? I do both day to day you see..... I've got a couple of clients with good nail beds, so potentially have a model.

Am I brave or fooling myself?

i think its great that you want to enter the nailympics don't forget tho this comp has people from korea, russia etc etc so it is much harder than the national comps.

I can't find you pics can you give me a link so i can have a look?

What about enetering at excel first and then doing the nailympics?

To be honest when i did my first comp all i wanted to see was where i was with my standard of work, so in mt opinion you just have to go for it, cos if you don't you'll never know xx:hug:xx

I did Nailympics in Las Vegas just about 4 years ago.
I placed 3rd, then was bumped to 4th , mixed media.
The best of the best are competing, so lol I think I did ok...
You have to do it.
I will be your cheerleader, if you want.
Do it, do it. Like you said, you'll never know...
This is so exciting.
You have to clear your mind of any negative ideas and thoughts.
Get positive. (The only reason I say these things is because I worry about everything)
Go for it. Be brave.

wow

go for it

I can't find you pics can you give me a link so i can have a look?

What about enetering at excel first and then doing the nailympics?

To be honest when i did my first comp all i wanted to see was where i was with my standard of work, so in mt opinion you just have to go for it, cos if you don't you'll never know xx:hug:xx

Here's a couple of pics http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6115&catid http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=7525

Your reason for entering is the same as mine really - I really want to see where I am so to speak. I work mobile on my own and have no-one to compare my self to (except on here!)......

Your nails are nice hun.....its hard to say, if it were me i'd do a national one 1st salon nails are VERY different to comp nails, i'll be happy to help you out in giving you all the advice i can to prepare you, why not enter excel? you've got a good 2 months to get ready?:green:

Your nails are nice hun.....its hard to say, if it were me i'd do a national one 1st salon nails are VERY different to comp nails, i'll be happy to help you out in giving you all the advice i can to prepare you, why not enter excel? you've got a good 2 months to get ready?:green:

Isn't the Novice category at Excel for those who have been a tech for less than a year though? This would mean going straight in at Div 2 wouldn't it?

That would be scary!:eek:

The novice category has changed to 2 years now if that helps?

Vetty, by using the word cheerleader.
My meaning is that is what my husband called himself when I did my last comp.
He was in the middle of his medical condition and he would say he was my cheerleader. He would encourage and help me out when I was overcome with worry.
Sorry if I confused anyone.
I am not here to discourage anyone.

Why don't you do as Scratchers suggested and enter the competition at Excel first and you can look on it as a practise run for the Nailympics? That way you'd know the format of a competion and how it goes before going for the one you really want to enter. It's a bit like going for a job interview for a job you really don't want, so that you can get all your mistakes made before you go for the one you do. I've no experience of the nail world (so may be talking a load of rubbish!), but from a psychology point of view (which I do know about) rehearsing something, whether by physically doing it (which is best) or rehearsing it in your mind, makes your performance better.

Lucia, your enthusiasm is so catching, it would make anyone want to have you in their corner! Next time I need a pep talk I'll be in touch with you!

Marion x

Go for it Vetster...you never know until you try!

I will be entering too as I can't make the dates for Excel!

Good luck hun....you know where I am!

Oh dear I may change my mind as I will be in the Apprentice category!!!

Thanks for all the opinions guys! My husband reckons I should do the National comp at ExCel first and if I enter the Nailympics I should expect to come last! But, in the Nailympics I'd be in the Novice category whereas at the National comp I've been doing nails too long to be a novice so would be up against people who have entered before......

Cathie, I will def be in touch hun and maybe I could come and see you and we could do some practice on each other? You can tell me if I'm kidding myself!

Lucia, thanks for the PMs and the encouragement - it means a lot.

Kirsty, if I go for it I will def be in touch - thanks for the offer.....

I thinkI need to do a comp though - it's the only way to really know! Stacy reckons I should enter ExCel and Gmex to see if I can improve in between!!

Anyway, thanks again for the input all of you :hug: - I'll keep you posted!

Yvette - I think you should enter the Nailympics and Excel too if you can. You will learn so much, have great fun and the Nailympics suffers from a real lack of British entrants so the more techs that can fly the British flag the better.

I am happy to help you in any way I can. Good luck!:hug:

Latest posts

Back