Nailympics - where are all the UK winners?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gigi , I think of lots of Technicians in the UK that would be fab.
I think its definitely time to put a team together.
We done so well as a nation in the Olympics...why not the nailympics??

Great thread! On a different forum I have even offered to run a workshop for free for UK competitors but I'm not holding my breath that the offer will get taken up!

Ummm... I'm competing again next year and was thinking of other categories. Where is the free workshop? :D

Sorry to butt in but can anyone tell me anything about the gel soak off category? It doesn't really tell you much about it on the website unless I've been looking in the wrong place lol x

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry to butt in but can anyone tell me anything about the gel soak off category? It doesn't really tell you much about it on the website unless I've been looking in the wrong place lol x

30 minutes to do one hand red and one hand French in soak off gel/gel polish of your choice. :)

30 minutes to do one hand red and one hand French in soak off gel/gel polish of your choice. :)

Thank you :) x

I'm hoping to compete next year. I'm interested in the polished nail and the salon nail category. I want to do nails in the real world. The everyday nail what a client walks out of the salon with.:wink2:
The extreme smile pink and whites are not my thing ( probably cause I couldn't sculpt them that long hehe) although I do think they're amazing to look at. I've never entered before but would love to attend a workshop. I'm very interested in this.:biggrin:

30 minutes??!!! Is this including prep? X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

30 minutes??!!! Is this including prep? X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yep 30 minutes. The rules about the nails is still a bit hazy to me though. Maybe Marian can clear that up for me?

On the itinerary, it says
"The model is to come with nails ready to be manicured.
Nails are to be manicured during the competition."

I think I was told there's a 10 point deduction if you fail to follow that part. I was under the impression that we were not to do anything with the nails at all before they say "begin" so all I did on my model was remove her Shellac the night before and left the shaping and cuticle work for the competition. However, when I was waiting there, people were buffing and shaping their models' nails during the time we were registering and setting up. So I'm wondering if "nails ready to be manicured" just means that they're ready to be painted?

Yep 30 minutes. The rules about the nails is still a bit hazy to me though. Maybe Mum can clear that up for me.

On the itinerary, it says
"The model is to come with nails ready to be manicured.
Nails are to be manicured during the competition."

I think I was told there's a 10 point deduction if you fail to follow that part. I was under the impression that we were not to do anything with the nails at all before they say "begin" so all I did on my model was remove her Shellac the night before and left the shaping and cuticle work for the competition. However, when I was waiting there, people were buffing and shaping their models' nails during the time we were registering and setting up. So I'm wondering if "nails ready to be manicured" just means that they're ready to be painted?

Surely it would be ok to do thorough cuticle work the night before and just do a quick tidy up during the competition? The model could have really good cuticles anyway for all they know! X

FOR THOSE THAT WOULD BE INTERESTED IN JOINING A UK COMPETITION TEAM...
Add my business page on facebook(as i am on there a lot more than here) ..i am Polished Nails
https://www.facebook.com/polished.nails.orpington?fref=ts
I am going to look into this more..with some direction and a training session (or three,lol) from Mum we could bring hold some medals!

Perhaps Gigi could tell me how i would go about/and or if Sweet squared would sponsor/support the team in some way??

Surely it would be ok to do thorough cuticle work the night before and just do a quick tidy up during the competition? The model could have really good cuticles anyway for all they know! X

This was what I was thinking too. My model's cuticles only needed a little pushing back. However the shape needed changing and I wasn't sure if I was allowed to shape the night before, but after seeing people shaping before the competition and it was seen, was 10 points deducted, or was that allowed?

I would so love to be involved in something like this, but I'm a natural nails tech, would I be able to compete in any of the categories?

I would so love to be involved in something like this, but I'm a natural nails tech, would I be able to compete in any of the categories?

The soak off gel category.

You can certainly compete in the Soak Off Gel category. I was a natural nail tech when I competed using Shellac last year. Seeing the techs in other categories gave me the desire to qualify in gel and L&P...

Last edited:
There IS a UK team. The team is called Team SEA. I mentor and support this team.

Sure, it is a team of South East Asian nail techs, but they all entered flying the UK flag representing the UK. When they win, it is a UK win. The fact that they are all SEAs is irrelevant, they can represent UK as much as anyone else. Anna Trieu who got placed this year is one of my students and a member of Team SEA. Trang Nguyen was also placed last year and is also a member of Team SEA UK. Lee Hogan AKA Chickafish on here is also a member. These girls entered The comp using CND Shellac, so not only do they represent the UK, they also represented CND and S2. My original idea of this team was to prove a point - that SEAs can do nails as much as anyone else. But after the second year running, it has gone beyond that now and everyone on Team SEA just wants to do their best for themselves as oppose to just proving a point. Next year, we plan to join the 'salon nails' category as this is where the SEAs are best.

Funny this came up because I am in the process of creating another team to enter in 2014 due to demand. As some of you may know, I run the Creative Academy in London. After entering Team SEA in Nailympics for the 2nd year running and having a member being placed each year, I have had requests from other non-SEA students inquiring to come on to our team. I have had talks with possible mentors and Ambassadors and we are now already in the process of asking any of our students who may be interested.

Natalia Milhalova is a CND EA who is based in London, she has won many competitions and is extremely experienced in the area. Natalia teaches at our London Academy which means she is able to help head this team alongside myself.

Ketan Patel is also a great friend of mine who will be able to participate with any mentoring or tutoring as he already has done for my Team SEA students each year.

I am also happy to spare the space of my London Academy for any competition classes and mentoring.

Please contact me if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
There IS a UK team. The team is called Team SEA. I mentor and support this team.

Sure, it is a team of South East Asian nail techs, but they all entered flying the UK flag representing the UK. When they win, it is a UK win. The fact that they are all SEAs is irrelevant, they can represent UK as much as anyone else. Anna Trieu who got placed this year is one of my students and a member of Team SEA. Trang Nguyen was also placed last year and is also a member of Team SEA UK. The original idea of this team was to prove a point - that SEAs can do nails as much as anyone else. But after the second year running, it has gone beyond that now and everyone on Team SEA just wants to do their best for themselves as oppose to proving a point. Next year, we plan to join the 'salon nails' category as this is where the SEAs are best.

Funny this came up because I am in the process of creating another team to enter in 2014 due to demand. As some of you may know, I run the Creative Academy in London. After entering Team SEA in Nailympics for the 2nd year running and having a member being placed each year, I have had requests from other non-SEA students inquiring to come on to our team. I have had talks with possible mentors and Ambassadors and we are now already in the process of asking any of our students who may be interested.

Natalia Milhalova is a CND EA who is based in London, she has won many competitions and is extremely experienced in the area. Natalia teaches at our London Academy which means she is able to help head this team alongside myself.

Ketan Patel is also a great friend of mine who will be able to participate with any mentoring or tutoring as he already has done for my Team SEA students each year.

I am also happy to spare the space of my London Academy for any competition classes and mentoring.

Please contact me if anyone is interested.

Hi Anna
you beat me to it,i was just in the process of emailing you actually about brisa lite as well as this subject. I am aware you have a UK team which is why i was going to pick your brains about how i would put together a UK team.As i assumed that you had to be from the SEA community to join your team.
I did my competition training with Ketan in 2007 and competed this year at excel again.
I definitely feel there is a lack of UK representation in the nailympics .
I must take this opportunity thu Anna to say how proud and pleased i am that you are changing technicians ways of thinking regarding the Asian community and nails.GOOD JOB :Love:
Obviously if i can't get on team or try and form one i will compete alone but as per the other posts there is more chance of doing well if you have that team spirit and support
xx

I was really impressed with Anna and her team, well done girls.
So if all you guys get together then the UK team CND should have an even more brilliant team going forward some of whom just happen to be SEAs.

Way to go... Whoohoo

Hi Anna
you beat me to it,i was just in the process of emailing you actually about brisa lite as well as this subject. I am aware you have a UK team which is why i was going to pick your brains about how i would put together a UK team.As i assumed that you had to be from the SEA community to join your team.
I did my competition training with Ketan in 2007 and competed this year at excel again.
I definitely feel there is a lack of UK representation in the nailympics .
I must take this opportunity thu Anna to say how proud and pleased i am that you are changing technicians ways of thinking regarding the Asian community and nails.GOOD JOB :Love:
Obviously if i can't get on team or try and form one i will compete alone but as per the other posts there is more chance of doing well if you have that team spirit and support
xx

Louise, I have a SEA team at the moment but me and Natalia are going to put together another NON-SEA team ready for Nailympics next year for techs who are interested, so we are able to take our expertise and contacts to open up opportunities and help people who are Non-SEAs and who wants to compete in the competition arena, and of course - also to make our UK stamp back into the competition scene.

The support and confidence that comes from being a member of a team is very encouraging. The bonding and dedication is what wins.

You are of course welcomed to form one yourself - the more teams from the UK, the better. But we are here at the London Academy if anyone needs us.

And thank you for your kinds words.

Latest posts

Back