Name issues and being self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ybo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm newly qualified and am getting everything in order for starting out a home salon, but I'm confused with naming...

I will be setting up as a sole trader under my name but for the purpose of logos etc I have picked a name I'd like to use - checked the trade marks and it has not been used however checking on companies house the name is registered as a limited company on the opposite side of the country (I'm talking at least 200 miles away).

What do I do? There is so much information and with being new I don't want to get into bother having the same name as elsewhere, but I also don't want to have to pay a solicitor yet in case it doesn't take off as I would be doing this alongside my current job.

Thank you for any help!!

Being on companies house doesn't matter. Trademark is the only thing you have to worry about. Also, it just makes sense if not the same name as someone else locally obviously :)

Being on companies house doesn't matter. Trademark is the only thing you have to worry about. Also, it just makes sense if not the same name as someone else locally obviously :)

so I would be best setting up as a sole trader under my name and using the name I’d like on my logos etc. I’d like to trade mark it eventually but just starting out I don’t want to spend a fortune if It doesn’t take off!

so I would be best setting up as a sole trader under my name and using the name I’d like on my logos etc. I’d like to trade mark it eventually but just starting out I don’t want to spend a fortune if It doesn’t take off!
Yeah, so you could be a sole trade trading as whatever name you like. What I'd say is, if you have any assets such as your own home or car I'd consider a limited company to protect yourself personally. The tax returns etc. are a bit different but you can register the company for £9.99 online - https://www.theformationscompany.com/formation-packages/eformation-package

Just don't opt for any of the extras/upsells.

If i was you id ensure that a fully comprehensive trademark search is conducted to ensure that your name won't cause you further issue in the upcoming application process. This is way too long-winded for me to conduct so I went to BKIP to do all the hard work for me and send me across a detailed report

If i was you id ensure that a fully comprehensive trademark search is conducted to ensure that your name won't cause you further issue in the upcoming application process. This is way too long-winded for me to conduct so I went to BKIP to do all the hard work for me and send me across a detailed report

It’s really not that difficult to do it yourself and if you’re going to be running your own business, it makes sense to take responsibility for all aspects of the business, in the early years, when it’s not very onerous.

Also, check out the online presence of the name you want to use, potential web addresses, Facebook, Instagram etc.

Latest posts

Back