Nasty tricks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenx

Reaction score
Has anyone been getting calls from 'crime prevention' or something similar? I got yet another one today, a lady saying that she noticed i'd had a few calls from them before and she was really sorry and that she would remove me from their data base. Normally they call you and try to get you to take an advert on one of their booklets. I was pleased about the fact she was going to remove me until she started going on about sending me a booklet so i could see my 1/8 page advert in it!!!!!!!!!! Told her that i hadn't taken out an advert and she hung up on me :eek:
What are these people on? I am sick of answering my phone using up my time, to be hung up on as soon as I question what they are doing. All the others did it as well when i told them i didn't want to place an advert.
Not sure if this should be a blog, but wanted to make sure others don't get caught out by them xx

It's a scam so you did well to steer clear! I got sooo many scam calls in the first few months of opening. The advertising ones are common and also the electricity meter registration company , they use various names. All scams and all out to rip you off.

I rarely get any of those calls now but I did get two other day, one about my card machine and one from a guy pretending to be from my website design company!

I get them all the time too, I once had a woman phone me pretending to be the fire brigade!! When I questioned her she said she was actually selling advertising space!! I also had a guy from one of the many MANY electricity companies and when I said no and hung up he called me back, put on a creepy voice and started saying I shouldnt have hung up on him!! I now pretend im an employee and say the owner isnt in.

gosh am glad i am not the only one.. i have had 3 months running the fire brigade.. tescos advertising.. numerous attempts by facebook urging me to sign up for their advert services, and quite a few from google promising to get me on the first page, (which i am for my area)..

have also had PRS company emailing me no end about music licencing.. and then ringing and ringing to get my info.. i keep telling them i am mobile.. grrrr..

soemtimes i think i ge tmore money grabbing calls than client calls these days lol..

Sarah x

ha ha good idea lol, I think i'll start doing that as well. I always notice that the numbers are withheld as well, but don't want to ignore the phone in case it's a client.
I have mainly had them from the police (various departments) to be honest, very sneaky of them

I got one today from facebook advertising, I recognised her voice from being the damn right rude madam who rang me a month ago and after listening to her for 5 minutes politely said goodbye and put the phone down for her to ring me back and call me a "rude Cow".

I asked her to ring me tomorrow morning, and intend having some fun with her, will ask her to repeat her name and department and if she has a direct line number as a client has just walked in and I would like to ring her back.......any other suggestions?

and watch out for postal scams, recently got one from European City guide, if you sign it and send it back they chase your for 3 years for 997 euros annually.

Wow, I got one of those European City Guide letters today! Had all the details wrong and it went in the bin!

Wow, I got one of those European City Guide letters today! Had all the details wrong and it went in the bin!
they purposely make mistakes to get you to correct the form and sign it to send it back, once they've got your signature on it they hound you and threaten you and then hand your details over to a debt recovery company - I've been on the website to see what it was about. I haven't binned mine, I've kept it as a reminder to be vigalante.

I was conned by an electricity supplier one :-(

Had loads from the "police" - I now say I dont advertise. Everyone who works with me now knows if they ask for anyone other than me by name to say I'm with clients til 7pm so could they call back then? Lol.

They are so manipulative but I do try to remember they are just employees- until they start getting rude!

I asked her to ring me tomorrow morning, and intend having some fun with her, will ask her to repeat her name and department and if she has a direct line number as a client has just walked in and I would like to ring her back.......any other suggestions?

I usually ask them if they can hold while I say goodbye to a client then leave them hanging for 10mins before putting phone down! Savage amusement I know.... :wink2:

I dont understand why you even give them the time of day - JUST HANG UP!

ps i used to be a (professional) sales executive and we would NEVER use these tactics, but even so, people would hang up. It's not personal and sales reps are used to it. As for them calling you back to tell you that you are rude just goes to show what crap reps they really are by resorting to intimidating threats.

Yeah thats all I do - hang up!!! they like the polite people who stay on the phone -its "hi" then "bye" all times from me.

god I would feel awful to hang up on them lol, but no idea why as they do it to me when they realise they are not getting a sale :)

Just a heads up geeks that is seems that Vardis are doing the rounds of phoning again, I know at least 6 therapists who've been contacted by them in the last 2 days.

If you dont know the tactic they employ is similar to the above but this time they seem to be calling on behalf of the Forresters Fund for Children. Do a quick google search and you'll get plenty of info back.

We should really just have a thread naming and shaming those trying to scam money out of us in their various guises! My guessing is it would be a long one:evil:

Vardis/forresters children's charity are phoning businesses again... Resurrected this post to alert fellow geeks. I initially said yes but had a chance to google before the Vardis phonecall. Have told them I wam not I terested, Fingers crossed that is the end of it!

I have had the forestry fund people on a few times despite saying no! Driving me nuts now alongside people promising first place on Google grrr

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

It's a nightmare! Been getting electricity, phone, advertising and even a police charity childrens event scam...

I get forrester fund every month a woman going about the charity and how i would be the only nail tech in it, i let her have her say then tell her sorry advertising budget has already been spent until june 2013, then she buggers off lol but i have the number in my phone as scam as they always ring from a mobile number.

Latest posts

Back