Nasty tricks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I normally tell them that my accountant has advised me that I should no longer pay out for advertising. or tell them that you dont need to advertise as you have a full clientelle base.

I dont answer calls from with held numbers and they do give up calling.
the ones that show their number I put on the reject list If the dont take no for an answer.:lol:

I also got an call from a man from a mobile number stating that I had registered on his business listing websote, which I hadnt, he got very nasty when I refused to give him my credit card detail and address.
i googled his number and there was a page about him I think under a website called something like whos calling me? anyway there was a long thread about how nasty he was etc. T*****R.

Last edited:
I had that children's charity ring me a few months back. A very persistant woman assured me that i had agreed to give them a few hundred pounds and was asking me to send her a cheque. I insisted that i hadn't and she kept pushing until i asked if i had signed something....reluctantly she agreed i hadn't and i told her that was because i hadn't ever spoken to them before and she hung up.

Lovely people ;)

When you realise it's a 'dodgy' call say "I must say, please note all calls are recorded for training and quality purposes" ... "Sorry what were you saying?"
Bet they hang up first! X

I get the majority of these at home but the odd one about insurance comes to the salon as well as electric. Had Scottish power call my
House last night, I told her "but we have electric and it works" think she got naggy because she said "obviously you have electric but don't you want a better deal?" Me "nope, I find the most expensive, you know its quality electric when you spend more on it" she hung up.
The other week I had a call that my pc had a virus so I done a sexual scream down the phone and asked her if her husband makes her sound like that (she was obviously offended saying that sounds like that are against her religion and could I not repeat them so I didn't, I made other sounds )
NEVER hang up on them, just annoy them so much they take you off their list xoxo

I get the majority of these at home but the odd one about insurance comes to the salon as well as electric. Had Scottish power call my
House last night, I told her "but we have electric and it works" think she got naggy because she said "obviously you have electric but don't you want a better deal?" Me "nope, I find the most expensive, you know its quality electric when you spend more on it" she hung up.
The other week I had a call that my pc had a virus so I done a sexual scream down the phone and asked her if her husband makes her sound like that (she was obviously offended saying that sounds like that are against her religion and could I not repeat them so I didn't, I made other sounds )
NEVER hang up on them, just annoy them so much they take you off their list xoxo

Hahaha! I love this! I know someone who used to live in a 3rd floor apartment and a conservatory salesman phoned several times despite being told they lived 3rd floors up.....so once so they played along yep yep great come and see us and give us a quote. Guy turns up and wasn't too impressed they had wasted his time.

I always tell a fib with household bills people saying all our utilities our landlady deals with. Quickest way to get them off the phone. I don't like just hanging up.
Or sales people still asking for me by my maiden name, I say she doesn't live here any more xx

Hahaha! I love this! I know someone who used to live in a 3rd floor apartment and a conservatory salesman phoned several times despite being told they lived 3rd floors up.....so once so they played along yep yep great come and see us and give us a quote. Guy turns up and wasn't too impressed they had wasted his time.

I always tell a fib with household bills people saying all our utilities our landlady deals with. Quickest way to get them off the phone. I don't like just hanging up.
Or sales people still asking for me by my maiden name, I say she doesn't live here any more xx

If its windows, doors etc... Tell them its a council property, they can't wait to get off the phone. And I love the conservatory guy haha xoxo

I hate WithHeld numbers with a passion.
I normally answer 'just in case' once I find out its doors, PPI, telecoms I say "can you hold the line?" & I put my phone in the drawer & leave them there!! I have found this to be the most successful way of getting taken off the calling list! IF it happens again I am thinking of leaving my phone infront of my ipod playing Jingle bells on continuous loop!!! Hehehe!!

Thought I'd post in this topic again just to warn people about what happened to me today.

I've been getting calls non stop for two weeks from an electricity supplier and I've been making excuses until today I thought I'd hear him out. He started going on about their tariff and how great it was, then he said now you've agreed to the terms...... WHAT???? I agreed to nothing!! He had my name, dob, business address and home address and said he was sending out a copy of th contract! I said dont bother as I haven't agreed to anything and put down the phone.

They emailed me with a contract this evening :( I spoke to my friend who said this same company conned her dad out of £800 by signing him up! They edited the phone call to make him sound like he agreed 😳

Please hang up dont say anything!

Theres some brilliant replies here, love the playing 'jingle bells' to them on a loop! I keep geeting 'steve' from emergency services call my home number, always calls when I am out so have told family to tell him I've moved out. I never advertise my home number only salon landline and used to my mobile, so really annoying its on home phone.

Someone on here on a similar thread said to pretend you can't hear them, constantly say ' hello?...hello?...can't hear you', thought that was good. Annoy the hell out of them they'll surely stop calling!

I had same thing happen to me they certainly don't like it when you waste there time. My nan tells sales people that she is just the cleaner and the owner is not there.

Hey geeks, i have already posted about this a while ago... But worth a mention again!

TPS sign up! Its free and makes it illegal for cold callers to call you. Ok a few still google you, but if you get there name, number and business name you can report them.

It can be landline or mobile, home numbers takes about 20 seconds to register business takes about a min.

It is a government service. Google n dign up xx

Tps only counts if the caller is in the uk.... So the rude Indian man who rings on a regular basis claiming to be from Microsoft in London, (yet he struggles to tell me what the weather is like there as he is in an office.....) can ring me as often as he wants.

Tps only counts if the caller is in the uk.... So the rude Indian man who rings on a regular basis claiming to be from Microsoft in London, (yet he struggles to tell me what the weather is like there as he is in an office.....) can ring me as often as he wants.
Arrh i've never had that call, lots of advertising web design, facebook etc and rather than my phone call around 7 times a day i now have maybe one a month so it can definatly cut the calls! Cx

My father in law got so fed up with spam faxes back in the day that he took two of the offending ones and taped them together creating a continuous loop. He wrote on them in large letters "F@&K OFF!" and fed them into his fax machine, sending them back to the company who sent them. He then set up his fax to resend constantly!
You can imagine the kerfuffle at the other end, can't you! Endless faxes spewing out that choice message until the paper runs out...
They never bothered him again.

My father in law got so fed up with spam faxes back in the day that he took two of the offending ones and taped them together creating a continuous loop. He wrote on them in large letters "F@&K OFF!" and fed them into his fax machine, sending them back to the company who sent them. He then set up his fax to resend constantly!
You can imagine the kerfuffle at the other end, can't you! Endless faxes spewing out that choice message until the paper runs out...

Love it! The amount of fax's I got In my old work was rediculous. Each morning I would be greeted by around 10 pages on the floor advertising new home windows, vending machines,and other useless things.

I know the person on the phone has a job to do, but its really annoying. I do wonder if they are paid enough for the abuse they get, they have enough off me xoxo

Ha ha! Brilliant!

Hi, I signed upto tps at the end of January. I still get daily calls for charitys etc who have"seen my add". Obviously I know theyre scams and politly tell them "not interested". Do these still class as cold calls even though it's through my advertising??
I'm new starting up my mobile business, and its really disheartening as 9/10 times when the phone rings, its NOT a potential client.

Hi, I signed upto tps at the end of January. I still get daily calls for charitys etc who have"seen my add". Obviously I know theyre scams and politly tell them "not interested". Do these still class as cold calls even though it's through my advertising??
I'm new starting up my mobile business, and its really disheartening as 9/10 times when the phone rings, its NOT a potential client.

Get their name, business name and telephone number, these are still cold calls and report them on the website xx

I've just signed up for my house phone with TPS and I'm just going to do my mobile too..
Speaking of weird calls, I had one about an hour ago from a man with a strong african
accent claiming to be from blablalba... and said he was an accountant.. He asked if he could be able to meet me to discuss my business!!! Before I could answer he asked if I aready had an accountant to which I replied.. ''I'm not discussing any business details over the phone with someone I don't know. I'm not interested. Bye''
I also had one about a week ago from an electricity company and started asking me about my electric, I just said I wasen't the home owner (which I'm not) and he apologised and said he will remove me from his 'list'

Do these people think were idiots??

Last edited:
I had one asking for money for the advert 'I' had asked to be placed in their booklet. She got quite nasty when I said I hadn't done so and eventually only got rid of her when I asked her to send the evidence that I asked.

Latest posts

Back