Natural alternatives to Barbicide, etc?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivoom

Reaction score
Hi,

Just looking for advice please, is there any natural alternatives than the chemicals used for disinfecting equipment and also skins before treatments? Would tea tree surfice?

Any advice appreciated.

The chemicals in barbicide are fine, they have been around for years and extensively tested for safety.
I don't think there is a natural alternative that is as good as barbicide or as quick. X

Hi,

Just looking for advice please, is there any natural alternatives than the chemicals used for disinfecting equipment and also skins before treatments? Would tea tree surfice?

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Vivoom

Practically everything other than electricity is a chemical - water is. And it's natural too. We need to get away from thinking that chemicals are awful, nasty things because they're all around us, they're part of us.

Without wishing to teach you how to suck eggs, it is imperative that our equipment is thoroughly free from any pathogens. The barbicide does that, and it does it safely. The idea of all natural may be a great one when it come to the products used for the facials themselves, for example; however, if I were to enter a salon that didn't have the barbicide (or other similar liquid), then I'd walk straight back out.

I use Cavicide because it's clear, but it does the same as Barbicide. These products protect against everything I could think of - MRSA, HIV etc, and believe me, when a client came in for a manicure and half way through (she forgot to mention it in the consultation) she told me 'Don't pull away, but I've got MRSA. Just thought you should know' I was grateful that I had complete confidence in my products!!! The fact that she didn't tell me is sort of irrelevant, because you would use all the same procedures and products whether they have anything or not - or you should do!!! I am sure that there is nothing naturally available that could instil me with such confidence. Hope that helps, although it may not be the answer you're looking for! Just for reference as well, my next client after her was a nurse, and I asked her if there was anything special I should do as I had had a client with MRSA, and she said 'If you follow all your normal hygiene procedures, you'll be fine'

I use Cavicide because it's clear, but it does the same as Barbicide. These products protect against everything I could think of - MRSA, HIV etc, and believe me, when a client came in for a manicure and half way through (she forgot to mention it in the consultation) she told me 'Don't pull away, but I've got MRSA. Just thought you should know' I was grateful that I had complete confidence in my products!!! The fact that she didn't tell me is sort of irrelevant, because you would use all the same procedures and products whether they have anything or not - or you should do!!! I am sure that there is nothing naturally available that could instil me with such confidence. Hope that helps, although it may not be the answer you're looking for! Just for reference as well, my next client after her was a nurse, and I asked her if there was anything special I should do as I had had a client with MRSA, and she said 'If you follow all your normal hygiene procedures, you'll be fine'

Silly question really :o but where do you tend to purchase your Cavicide? I know Sallys does the Barbicide but I used Cavicide during my training. Thanks :)

I bought it some time ago from a Backscratchers stand at a beauty exhibition. I love it because I don't get blue stains on things. Need some myself soon!

Would love it if I could use a clear solution! Those blue stains don't look nice (when I take my tools out of the Barbicide and wipe them off clients wonder what it is) and I'm always dripping it on my clothes... Where can you purchase Cavicide? Or is the Mundo rapid tool disinfectant clear?

Xxx

I'm a big fan of Mundo products ... I use their power plus for tools and a UV cabinet, then also their file spray, hand sanitizer for non nail treatments (cool blue for nail treatments) and their surface disinfectant foam.

Some salons sell themselves on being natural / organic which is great. But as for a natural alternative I'm not sure. As said above everything is a chemical.

If you want to avoid the use of chemical disinfectants how about a bead steriliser? Autoclave are super expensive but the most effective.

Mundo rapid tool is also blue. I assume it is coloured so that it is not mistaken for water or something else.

Supernail distribute backscratchers in the uk, so may be worth a try. Will probably call them Monday as I'm running low!

What tools are you using for them to stain? I would inform mundo/ barbicide if you find it staining.
Using both and leaving tools all weekend in it to soak nothing has stained.
Only thing I can think is your mixing it too strong.

I've never experienced any staining with Barbicide.

It always bothers me when a hairdresser pulls a tool out of the Barbicide solution, gives it a quick wipe, and then uses it in a client's hair. You're not supposed to let it come into contact with your skin, and definitely not your eyes - it's irritating to both. The manufacturer does state to rinse tools after they've been immersed in the Barbicide solution.

I guess it's coloured blue to make it distinctive, and also because there aren't any food products that are blue. It can cause circulatory shock and possibly death if ingested in a large enough amount.

Latest posts

Back