Natural look extentions-hep

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ALEX

Hi guys, sorry to bother you again!

I did a full set of natural looking extention yesturday using natural coloured tips (velocity), and then after applied perfect pink over the whole nail and tip, shaped and buffed to high shine. I thought they looked fine but today the girl came back and said the set looked awful because the colour was all wrong. I asked her to explain why the colour was wrong but all she could say was they didn't look wright compared to others that she has had. In the end I gave her her money back because I couldn't fix the problem (offered to polish them).

Have I done them completely wrong, I have done the home learn with Gina and a creative course recently and was sure I was doing wright:|

Please could you give some advice!

Thanks.x.x.x

maybe she had a natural powder applied to the smile line before ?

HI

Maybe you should use clear?
Or maybe she was after a free set........ cheeky devil........... and played on your obviously good nature.
just a thought

Hiya Alex, :D

When I do natural i use velocity tips then overlay with pink as i think the pink is natural as it gives and matches the natural nail, I have never had any problems clients usally agree with me! When you use clear instead of pink I tend to find it does'nt look as good but thats just my humble opinion.
Maybe she was just after a free set :evil: if that was her only reason for keeping them on, after all she did'nt ask for them taking off did she?
Don't worry chick we've all had days like this!

She was probably after a free set, and i don't think you should have given her money back just because you use a different brand or color powder than the shop down the street. If you wanted to give her a refund, maybe you should have insisted that she let you remove the nails beforehand. Why should she get a nice set of nails plus her money?

Well you all know my opinion ... gotta be pink and white every time even if its not french white OR natural or clear for the tip and blush for the body of the nail.
Pink over the whole nail just doesn't work for me. I know others don't agree but I believe in enhancement not Blah looking nails. And to me all pink is blah :sad:
I think I would have offered a soak off rather than her money back as was said, why should she "have her cake and eat it too"?

geeg said:
Well you all know my opinion ... gotta be pink and white every time even if its not french white OR natural or clear for the tip and blush for the body of the nail.
Pink over the whole nail just doesn't work for me. I know others don't agree but I believe in enhancement not Blah looking nails. And to me all pink is blah :sad:
I think I would have offered a soak off rather than her money back as was said, why should she "have her cake and eat it too"?

Doe's this mean i'm wrong to use pink?
I have never thought that i have done a blah set of nails and have always been happy with any nails i have created. I've always liked the look of pink, i think it looks natural and a change from p&w. But maybe i'll try natural on the tips & pink on the body next time. I love doing nails and would hate to think that they were anything less than perfect!

Well I take it she was happy with the nails when she left your shop????
So now she comes back and said......."I don't like them!" This is probably after she seen her mates nails, and they had a great french look to them.........

But a bit late in the day I would have thought....she should have thought of that before hand.......you wouldn't go the the hairdressers and ask for red hair, then go to the pub and your mates say, "don't like this colour, it would look better blond"...
I am sure the hairdresser would say, well love thats what you chose, but hey I can fix it, but it will cost ya!!!!!............and now you are beating yourself up over this..........
Well love don't, you will know better next time............

If you don't like the look of the strong white, go for the soft white powder on the tips........
This enhances the nail tip and makes it look natural and very pretty.........
Pink powder to me, enhances the nail bed colour.....but if applied over the whole enhancement makes it look a bit bland...........just my humble oppinion..........

Jinxx said:
Doe's this mean i'm wrong to use pink?
I have never thought that i have done a blah set of nails and have always been happy with any nails i have created. I've always liked the look of pink!

And you are entitled to your opinion!

Usually (and I'm not saying this isYOU) technicians who do all pink nails do it because:

1 ... they can't make a smile line
2 ... they think they are saving time
3 ... they just can't be bothered to enhance the nail

Natural powder or Clear powder over the tip followed by pink gives a cleaner, more natural (but slightly enhanced) look in my opinion. and that is the business we are in ... nail enhancment.

Regarding the issue of not doing pink and white and using just pink instead. I do this as yet I cannot use the white powder. It is very scary!! for a beginner. And when you just start out in nails it is hard enough work to cope with the basics plus perfecting acrylic application, tip application, problem nails, damaged nails and difficult clients which after 7 months working in nails plus training I am still struggling!

I feel as a new nail tech I am just thrown in the deep end and am slightly drowning sometimes.! It is hard being compared with other techs who have have so more experience and better skills...

We should all aim for perfection but when I did pink and white on my nvq course it scared me to death! I somehow past the assessment even though they were thick and looked like doorsteps! - I don't think I should have passed.....but thats the way they do it in colleges to get you through.....

What I am saying is I have met very few nail techs who can do pink and white well- so because they are unconfident in their skill they use white tips or airbrush. Am I strange or does this reflect what a lot of techs do to get around this problem?

I personally feel that is a skill I certainly should have and have booked on the creative conversion. But I am nervous as doing a french polish is downer to me....http://www.thenailgeek.com/images/icons/new/icon_cry.gif

What I am saying is that I have found learning nails very very hard therefore please don't be overly tough on techs who can't do the white smileline yet....! It may be not that they can't be 'bothered' other things could influence it like extreme lack of confidence, and bad technique/training.

To get on in this business you just have to 'do it' and get experience where you can and learn as much as possible whilst taking more training and of course your not going to perfect when you first start out otherwise what would be the point?

Wander

I'm not being hard on new nail technicians. I do my best to help and to inspire new ones to greatness every day!! You don't get great without stepping out of your "comfort zone" and doing something scarey!!

My number one reason was .... because they can't do smile lines (for whatever reason and there may be many different reasons)

From day one with, Creative anyway, we teach to use pink and white and the only way to become confident is to be shown how and then to practise doing them on tips (at your kitchen table if needs be) until you learn how the product moves when you touch it and how to control it. That is all it is about .... control.

What you found difficult to do 7 months ago may now be easy when you try it again, as by now you have learned to control the product. Go on and have a go. Nail tips don't complain!! and you can throw tham away if they are not nice :rolleyes:

When I first did my Creative training - 3 years ago now, I too was frightened of the white so I opted for the easy option and used white tips. Over time I got out of the habit of doing smiles. It was a big wake up call for me at the end of last year when I decided to do Masters and was to be strictly scrutinised on my smile lines. I managed to just scrape through thankfully but it was not good enough for me so I now practise smile lines on everyone. If they don't want French then I use a mix of soft white and natural so I still have to get the smile line smiling.

The point of this is to get the pink and whites perfected from the outset rather than slipping into bad habits as I did which are then even more difficult to unlearn.

as you may or may not know i struggle with smiles, but i am determined to get it right, around my area they apply a tip and do an overlay, they dont even file the tip to give it any shape either, so it ends up looking like the white tip goes straight across the nail and they are also pretty low down on the nail plate, to me this is ugly, the clientelle dont know any different either, the first course i attended that is how i was taught,we had white powder but did`nt touch it, most techs round here dont do p&w.
due to this site i found out that, that IS`NT what nails should look like, especially after doing the training with creative.
persevere, get some more training, i lock myself in my room some days for 6 to 8 hours a day, and they are improving slowly lol, i am that determined, if anything stands still in my house for any longer than 5 mins they have a set of p&w on :lol:

Sorry Geeg, :sad:
I have being doing nails for about 3 years, but never got chance to work with other techs,(which i would love to do to because even if your doing it right you still wonder!) apart from on the courses i've taken, i have done other techs nails and always picked their brains but its not the same, I think what i'm trying to say is although i read anything i can about nails and do courses (when i saved the money!) I try to do everything as I'm taught, and I always want to be perfect and when i not it knocks my confidence a bit so sorry if I sounded abit off in ma post did'nt mean to!
I do do p&w although it did take me a while to get my smile lines right! but i sometimes struggle doing it on my right hand! I also like doing the mosiac & metro powders!
I will try the natural acrylic over the tips and the pink on the body though!

Thanks for all your good advice guys will try using the natural powder over the tip next time.

By the way I didn't realise you could mix the powders to make different colours-boy I will b busy the wkend!:cool:

:)
ALEX said:
Thanks for all your good advice guys will try using the natural powder over the tip next time.

By the way I didn't realise you could mix the powders to make different colours-boy I will b busy the wkend!:cool:
:)

Hi Alex, have no fears I reckon everyone has suffered stress with smile lines at some point in there career, nobody is perfect. Maybe if it worries you so much you should treat yourself to a one to one at creative, I have done this once and believe me you will wonder what you were worried about. Good luck Alex and keep going.

Best Wishes
Carol

Thanks Carole I am deffinately going to save for some one 2 one training!:)

Dear Alex

I too am training with Gina Wallace on the Acrylic Tips & Overlay Course.

I would just like to say that this is what Gina is training us to do on the course, use tips and overlay with pink acrylic.

Now that I know about this website, which is fantastic by the way, I hate doing this homelearn course. I wish I knew about Creative this time last year. I seem to be learning all the wrong stuff and have wasted a whole load of money.

Yvonne :-(

Altho I think it is a grave ommission that P & W is not covered on the home learn course, that doesn't mean your money has been completely wasted or that you should give up either.

Firstly you can always buy some white powder from the suppliers of HL kits and say a 'Winning Nails' video from Creative and get practicing on that nail trainer, or even without it.

One of the easiest ways is to take a soft pencil and draw a smile line on the reverse side of a tip. Then on the right side, practice filling in zone 1 as shown on the Creative video.

Think of Creative as a graduate course and do some classes at a later date. Learning is never wasted unless it is really bad learning and the HL kit is not that. It's allot better than these one day courses that teach 3 systems in a day and claim that you are ready to go out and start business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back