Natural nail buffing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiser

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I am really keen to get back in to natural nail care. I've had all my new bits through and am going to start pushing on the advertising. One of the things I ordered is a chamois buffer and buffing paste. Its suddenly dawned on me that I'm not sure if I remember the process of buffing the nail to a high shine with one of these! Does a four way buffer have to be used first or something?! I can't even find my manicure module notes!

Thank you for reading everyone x x x

When I used buffing paste, in college we were taught to apply buffing paste by taking a scoop big enough to last the 10 nails from the pot, then apply it from the spatula with a cotton bud on to the 10 nails, then use the chamois in a downwards criss cross motion (so from cuticle to free edge) in nice sweeping strokes,
Then we removed any remaining buffing paste with a damp cotton pad, and buffed to a shine with a 3 way buffer,

The buffing paste acts as a exfoliator doesn't it, I love the feel of a newly buffed nail.
hth xxxxxxx

Is it the 'old' style chamois buffer you have bought as in the one that looks like a boat if you know what I mean.....we used these at college and to be honest I couldn't see that they actually buffed the nail to a shine!

When I used buffing paste, in college we were taught to apply buffing paste by taking a scoop big enough to last the 10 nails from the pot, then apply it from the spatula with a cotton bud on to the 10 nails, then use the chamois in a downwards criss cross motion (so from cuticle to free edge) in nice sweeping strokes,
Then we removed any remaining buffing paste with a damp cotton pad, and buffed to a shine with a 3 way buffer,

The buffing paste acts as a exfoliator doesn't it, I love the feel of a newly buffed nail.
hth xxxxxxx
Sorry Emms didn't read your reply first....I know I'm pedantic but what's the point of doing the buffing paste and chamois if you then go in with a 3 way.....I know it's how you were taught but I can't really see why.....maybe they couldn't either but taught you that....do you still use this methond now....I bet you 10p that you don't!

aint read all the replys cos im being lazy tonight but if you want to buff just use a glosser buffer flower, they wonderfull, and the shine is amazing

aint read all the replys cos im being lazy tonight but if you want to buff just use a glosser buffer flower, they wonderfull, and the shine is amazing
I can vouch for this too...all the way home i was looking at my newly buffed french manicured nails....while my husband was at the wheel and was saying sweet nothings in my ears,saying i was "loveable"...but i just couldnt get over the fact that a 3 way buffer,wether it be OPI,Creative or whoever can give you that "glass shine finish,and once demonstrated on clients,they fly out the door...:lol:

but i just couldnt get over the fact that a 3 way buffer,wether it be OPI,Creative or whoever can give you that "glass shine finish,and once demonstrated on clients,they fly out the door...:lol:
The 3 way buffer is different to a glossing buffer Gabi... the glossing buffers are green on one side and white on the other, they bring the nails/enhancements to a fabulous shine within seconds and look stunning.
hth's

The 3 way buffer is different to a glossing buffer Gabi... the glossing buffers are green on one side and white on the other, they bring the nails/enhancements to a fabulous shine within seconds and look stunning.
hth's
Yes...this is what i meant to say sandi,its green and white the one i own...sorry to add confusion...LOL

Im just so enthused over alittle thing like that!!

Yes...this is what i meant to say sandi,its green and white the one i own...sorry to add confusion...LOL

Im just so enthused over alittle thing like that!!
ahhh ok :wink2:

You should be enthused by it... I was when I first saw how easy it was to get such a beautiful finish to a natural nail :D
I was lucky enough to get a sneak preview when I was training with Gigi one day, then had to keep my mouth shut for a while... that was hard LOL

Sorry Emms didn't read your reply first....I know I'm pedantic but what's the point of doing the buffing paste and chamois if you then go in with a 3 way.....I know it's how you were taught but I can't really see why.....maybe they couldn't either but taught you that....do you still use this methond now....I bet you 10p that you don't!
Lol No Cathie I dont use this method, and I havent used it since I left college

I thought It was mabey just me who thought it was a bit useless, so passed on the info anyway ..

ooh well see I learned something new ...AND I EARNED 10p

Cathie I will pm you my address hun , can you send it in an un-crossed postal order please .....or a cheque will do .made payable to "emmsybabes @ salongeek.com :green:

Lol No Cathie I dont use this method, and I havent used it since I left college

I thought It was mabey just me who thought it was a bit useless, so passed on the info anyway ..

ooh well see I learned something new ...AND I EARNED 10p

Cathie I will pm you my address hun , can you send it in an un-crossed postal order please .....or a cheque will do .made payable to "emmsybabes @ salongeek.com :green:
No way! You now owe me 10p....lol

No way! You now owe me 10p....lol
Oh sugar lumps !!! so I do
:cry: :irked:
How would you like your payment madam, cheque or postal order ? :confused:

:green:

This thread has come at the right time as a few weeks ago i was told that we shouldn't buff the naural nail as it thins the nail?????? i was tought by star nails to buff but now my creative educator said no don't do it xx

A gentle buff wont harm the natural nail If done properly
Its only removing surface oils and dirt,
leaving a nice clean prepped surface ..

Ooooh question time !
does gentle buffing stimulate circulation ?? I'm doubting my self on this now
I'm thinking yes it does, which increases blood flow, and can result in the natural nail growing a little quicker ???
or am I talking through my bum :confused:

well this is what i have always believe hun!!:green:

This thread has come at the right time as a few weeks ago i was told that we shouldn't buff the naural nail as it thins the nail?????? i was tought by star nails to buff but now my creative educator said no don't do it xx
Iguess it depends how often you are buffing and with what grit......on the converse I have heard that technicians remove shine with a 240 bofore applying polish.....does that count as buffing....and thus removing nail plate....probably not as the grits on 3 way buffers are so fine compared to a 240 Koala.

buffing to me is a 3 way buffer or a glosser bufer with 2 sides, i was slighty confused as i had been doing this for years and then to be told not to do it i was quite shocked xx

I think buffing the natural nail with a gentle shining buffer is ok so long as it is not done too often.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Yes Cathie it is one that looks like a boat! Its something I'd never got round to getting and thought I should! Also I remembered them being like the soft and rough side of the leather where as this one seems to be just like, well , erm, leather I suppose!

Is the buffing paste a waste then as well?

The buffers you guys are talking about are they by creative?

I've seen what I think is called miracle shine by ez flow, these seemed good.

Thanks again everyone x x

The buffers you guys are talking about are they by creative?
Creative sell glossing buffers, IT&LY Hair and Beauty sell them too, I use the IT&LY ones solely down to the pricing.

Latest posts

Back