Natural nail free edge went yellow

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah1984

Reaction score
I did my friends nails with l&p about a month ago now, did infill about week and a half later as she was going away. She went to a foreign country and did quite a bit of swimming in the sea and in the pool. She said that when she was away the nails started to lift. When she got back, they just all "fell off" and a few of her natural nail free edges were yellow. What could have caused this?

Sorry but nails just dont "fall off" LOL.

The yellowing could be any number of things but it will grow out. I had a client who went to Cuba and when she came back some of her nails had a yellow brown tinge at the free edge - she has natural nails and we put it down to lots of heavily coloured food that she was eating with her fingers.

It grew out quickly and did not affect her nails.

That is what I was thinking, some stain from something, when I did her infill some of her nails had foundation on! Im thinking that but as its my friend dont really want to say too much. And yes, nails dont just fall off, lol, think there was a bit of picking going on there.

Im doing her nails again tonight as she has wedding to go to, will see how her nails last then.

You gotta be cruel to be kind - even if she is your friend, if she is not following your advice then she may also be affecting your business if people are seeing her nails, just falling off.

Thats one of my concerns, yes. Also because she is doing the course which I did, we said that we would do one anothers nails free. Which is fair enough as it means we get practise, just not on the nail trainer. I have now qualified and she is still training, just would think that if you are training to do nails yourself then you would look after your own nails?

Hannah1984 said:
I have now qualified and she is still training
just had a thought.......
do you think her nails 'fell off' due to some kind of jealousy that you're now qualified and she isn't yet?

lol perhaps, but she started training after me so there was no competition to finish first. didnt think of that though,

Hannah1984 said:
lol perhaps, but she started training after me so there was no competition to finish first. didnt think of that though,

Perhaps run us through your prep hun? Just a thought, if she had lifting...... I'm guessing that she might have picked at them when they started to lift a little....! x:)

It was my first set I had done after qualifying, I think most of the lifting was from product being on the sidewalls. My prep , use dream sanitiser spray on a wipe, wipe each nail really getting into all the corners then buff off surface shine getting into all corners again. Then thats it. Any more advice on prep greatly appreciated.

Hannah1984 said:
It was my first set I had done after qualifying, I think most of the lifting was from product being on the sidewalls. My prep , use dream sanitiser spray on a wipe, wipe each nail really getting into all the corners then buff off surface shine getting into all corners again. Then thats it. Any more advice on prep greatly appreciated.
click on the prep link in the post Hannah, Sam's written a fab tutorial on preparation of the nail plate prior to applying enhancements.
hth's

Hannah1984 said:

I would say you might have these steps the wrong way round. I would remove the shine and then use your sanitiser. Doing it the way you are, might leave small particles of dust on the nail.

yes sorry i do it that way round, i was typing it and chatting to HappyHands on msn so wasnt paying attention. I do buff off shine then sanitise. lol blonde moment i think!

hi hun,
you dont mention removing the non living tissue of the nail plate, are you doing that and just forgot to say, if not , this is a really important part of the prep procedure, hth x

Latest posts

Back