Natural nail hard gel overlay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a client who has had several gel polish mani's from me, she has been brittle thin nails and unfortunately the gel polish doesn't last as long as it should on her nails because of this but it does help them grow and stop her biting them...

She has come back to me asking for another mani but wanted advice as her nails have got bad again and keep breaking. I'm thinking she might benefit from a hard gel overlay on her natural nails just to give her nails extra strength and less likely to chip or break than having a gel polish mani. Would I be right in thinking this?

Also, I haven't done a hard gel overlay on a client before, just extensions and gel polish. I presume they wont need an apex being sculpted because there isn't an extension on the nail that will need support. Would it be just a thin coat first (As a base coat) then a slightly thicker coat on top?

Thanks for all your help!

You could just try her with a thin coating of gel under the polish and see how she gets on with it, may be enough to solve her problem. If not do a full overlay. If the nail is short then I wouldn’t apply an apex but if it’s longer then you still want that structural strengt( in place.

Would IBX keratin treatment and/or the new IBX Boost help this client perhaps?
IBX definitely helps gel polish stay better on thin nails.

I haven't used the new Boost yet, but from the descriptions it sounds like it might be a solution for this client.

https://louellabelle.co.uk/ibx-boost-duo-pack.html

thank you for the suggestions. I will try the thin coat first and see how she gets on with that.. The IBX Boost looks great, I might consider this, especially if I get more clients like her. thank you!

thank you for the suggestions. I will try the thin coat first and see how she gets on with that.. The IBX Boost looks great, I might consider this, especially if I get more clients like her. thank you!

just found this nice little video on Boost:

this does look really good! I might invest! :)

Great video, thanks for posting [emoji4]

Hi Guys,

I have a client who has had several gel polish mani's from me, she has been brittle thin nails and unfortunately the gel polish doesn't last as long as it should on her nails because of this but it does help them grow and stop her biting them...

She has come back to me asking for another mani but wanted advice as her nails have got bad again and keep breaking. I'm thinking she might benefit from a hard gel overlay on her natural nails just to give her nails extra strength and less likely to chip or break than having a gel polish mani. Would I be right in thinking this?

Also, I haven't done a hard gel overlay on a client before, just extensions and gel polish. I presume they wont need an apex being sculpted because there isn't an extension on the nail that will need support. Would it be just a thin coat first (As a base coat) then a slightly thicker coat on top?

Thanks for all your help!
You can use our DuoGel as a natural nail overlay. It is a gel with acrylic powder inside and is flexible enough for natural nails but very strong. Brush on base and cure and brush on builder and cure - very easy as comes in a brush bottle application..

You can use our DuoGel as a natural nail overlay. It is a gel with acrylic powder inside and is flexible enough for natural nails but very strong. Brush on base and cure and brush on builder and cure - very easy as comes in a brush bottle application..

Gosh, I keep seeing this same sentence... it's as if you might work for the company? :rolleyes:

I use IBX, I would recommend it it's very good and it's great to go under gel polish. It will help protect her nails when the pishbos removed and you apply it everytime they have their polish done. I would say if she sticks to gel polish and is a regular client this would be good for her. I haven't tried the boost yet. Otherwise I agree, you could try a thin layer of gel with gel polish over the top x

Latest posts

Back