Natural nail lifting!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah1984

Reaction score
I had acrylic nails put on by my friend and she had filed a bit too much, my nails were very very sore! When I took the nails off, my little finger nail was very thin towards the free edge, well I didnt have any free edge left. So I left my nails for about 3 weeks and they all looked better and were growing back normally, so did l&p on myself. I had them on for a week and then did a rebalance (I'm not very good with doing nails on myself yet, especially on my right hand, so had some lifting as product had got on skin.) the next day I noticed on my little finger I had white going up my nail. So I took them all off and my natural nail has started to come away from my finger!! Will it grow back and whats the best treatment or things I can do to help so its not damaged any more?!

Pic: (Tried to resize it but cant, sorry)
bad.jpg

Hannah1984 said:
I had acrylic nails put on by my friend and she had filed a bit too much, my nails were very very sore! When I took the nails off, my little finger nail was very thin towards the free edge, well I didnt have any free edge left. So I left my nails for about 3 weeks and they all looked better and were growing back normally, so did l&p on myself. I had them on for a week and then did a rebalance (I'm not very good with doing nails on myself yet, especially on my right hand, so had some lifting as product had got on skin.) the next day I noticed on my little finger I had white going up my nail. So I took them all off and my natural nail has started to come away from my finger!! Will it grow back and whats the best treatment or things I can do to help so its not damaged any more?!
sounds like Onycholysis to me...
plenty of Solar Oil, keep the nail short and hopefully it should reattach itself.

Dont panic. Its called Onycholysis which is basically that the nail has separated from the nail bed. Dont poke under the nail (ie to get dirt out) keep it clean and if you have got or can get hold of solar oil apply it frequently and generously. Type Onycholysis into the search facility and youll get loads more info. hth xx

have you knock your nail, sometimes this can course lifting and yes it will grow back, but keep an eye on it because you don't want it to become infected.

sounds like Onycholysis to me...
plenty of Solar Oil, keep the nail short

this is sound advise x

Oh no. Thanks guys. Dont know why I just didnt look in my nail book! Duh! But then this is why this site is so great! everyone offers help! I dont have solar oil, I do have cuticle oil though from Dream products (EN) will this still do the job?

Thanks for that.

Please please just give your nails a rest now, and just maintain them with regular manicures.

best wishes

Bag-a-Card said:
Please please just give your nails a rest now, and just maintain them with regular manicures.

best wishes

Oh yes I am definately not going to be having enhancements on them for a very very long time! I'm going back to college in September to study beauty therapy and dont think you can wear enhancements anyway, so my nails will be natural.

I've ordered some solar oil and will make sure I look after my nails. Going to Tenerife in 2 weeks, so want them to be nice for then.

Yeah thats good

you'll prob notice a difference with your nails if you manicure them regular look after them etc and wont need extensions,etc

Hannah1984 said:
Oh yes I am definately not going to be having enhancements on them for a very very long time! I'm going back to college in September to study beauty therapy and dont think you can wear enhancements anyway, so my nails will be natural.

I've ordered some solar oil and will make sure I look after my nails. Going to Tenerife in 2 weeks, so want them to be nice for then.

Thats good to hear hun! Solar Oil is just amazing - once you have tried it you wont go back!!! I am an NSI freak through and through - but I was interested in what all the fuss about Solar Oil was all about!!! I love NSI nurture oil, but I have to say now that I have tried Solar Oil I wont go back!!!

I suffered with a really dry skin and cuticle on one finger only (!) and I tried everything I could to get rid of it - not nipping - I applied Nurture oil 4/5 times a day and it did help a bit - I then used Solar Oil, and it cleared up the dry skin in a week!

I love Solar oil, make sure you use it ALOT - I personally use it 4/5 times a day now. Keep it short and I'm sure your little nail will be back to normal in no time!!!

xxx

Hannah1984 said:

Pic: (Tried to resize it but cant, sorry)
bad.jpg

You friend obviously filed more than a bit too much ... she filed way too much.

Your nail would most likely have recovered nicely with no problems if you had just left it alone, but when you put an enhancement on top of a thinned out nail plate, the shrinking of the polymer as it polymerizes will 'pull' the natural nail plate off its rails and cause onycholysis.

Your nail will grow back into the grooves with time and be none the worse for its experience.

i have that on my big toe nail because of some pressure caused by some sneakers
first i thought it was fungus but it s just the natural nail lifting
i let it grow until it get back to normal
it almost did 2 months ago but i had to wear those damn sneakers again:mad: and it came back
now i m patiently waiting wearing sandals
thank God it s summer

like everybody said the solution is good care and patience

geeg said:
You friend obviously filed more than a bit too much ... she filed way too much.

Your nail would most likely have recovered nicely with no problems if you had just left it alone, but when you put an enhancement on top of a thinned out nail plate, the shrinking of the polymer as it polymerizes will 'pull' the natural nail plate off its rails and cause onycholysis.

Your nail will grow back into the grooves with time and be none the worse for its experience.

Yes she did file loads! She is still training so I shouldnt have let her done them so soon. But, even though I was saying "ouch, that really hurts" she wasnt any more gentler! :(

Thanks for everyone's advice! Waiting for my solar oil to arrive then I shall be applying lots and lots! My partner is a mechanic and has very bad dry cuticles, so may see if it works its magic on him! lol

Thanks xx

Update - Thanks to everyone who recommended solar oil for my nail, I ordered a bottle and been applying regularly and my nail looks better already. All my nails are growing well too (were all quite brittle after enhancements as been filed too much!) so yay! for solar oil!!!

Latest posts

Back