natural Nail Problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDs

Curly Hair Geek
Reaction score
I have all natural nails after wearing Gels, fiberglass, Linen etc for years, I grew them out and had fantastic hard beautiful nails then one day they just started breaking and peeling. I haven't changed anything in my diet. What would cause them to start peeling? And what can I do to hydrate them again.

There is really no way of knowing for sure, unless you have done something obviously different...some things to consider that can make it happen:

You are in water a lot
Medication
Age....(I notice people have good and bad hair and nail changes with hormonal shifts)
Change in jobs

I am sure there are more...but this is all I could come up with at the moment.

What I tell my clients and it works for them, is to use Nail Tek Hydration Therapy, Formula II.......We LOVE it!! It works like a charm.......and oil those puppies up!!!

hth
Darlene

thanks Darlene for your reply.
Even my skin is dry but I figured this to be from such a cold winter. Could be hormones...premenopausal. We do have Nailtek here in the states, I will get up to the professional salon supplies and get some.
I do keep oil on them and get a paraffin dip once a week. Would drinking more water help also?

LOl Iam a hairstylist and nail tech myself and am in water all day long..but I have been in water all day long for the last 25 years..

Hun i feel for you,
Solar Oil, Solar Oil, Solar Oil !!

You wake up in the morning, solar oil,
you wash your hands through out the day, moisturize cream
Coming up to bed time, Solar Oil.
When you solar oil spend about 5-10 mins just massaging into your nail plate and all around the nail, work it in well, be generous with the stuff. hth:hug:

Would oil not creep inbetween the peeling layers and make them lift more?
geezz, if I could only get them past the edge of my finger tips, I know I wouldn't bump them or put so much stress on them..

It shouldn't, no.
Do you have a picture of your nails?
Solar oil is like a really rich fertilizer for your nails, it's like super health food. It's not going to be bad for your nails at all.
Cut back all the length on your nails before starting with intense solar oil treatment LOL:green:

Would oil not creep inbetween the peeling layers and make them lift more?
geezz, if I could only get them past the edge of my finger tips, I know I wouldn't bump them or put so much stress on them..
It is the water that is creeping in which sits between the layers that causes this problem. Until the water is removed and the nail plate layers sealed at the free edge then this will keep on happening. Here in the UK, I use a machine called Re:fusion. It is a heated thermo nib pen. By running the pen over the free edge it chases out the excess moisture, then by running the pen over the top of peeling area it seals the layers back together. Applying a little oil to the nail and then running the pen along the free edge the oil is forced deeper into the nail plate and the free edge is sealed locking the oil into the nail hence breaking the viscious circle.
David

Would it help if the fe was bevelled when filling as that seals it ,for those who don't have acess to the Re:fusion machine ?

Would it help if the fe was bevelled when filling as that seals it ,for those who don't have acess to the Re:fusion machine ?
Bevelling the free edge will not really seal the layers at the free edge just make them more rounded hence still allowing water to seep through the free edge. Re:fusion actually plasticizes the layers together and seals them.
David

Thanks Jaydee but i though i had seen it in my VTCT notes and Gmg recomends it too

Free the edge man...

I then shape the free edge of the natural nail plate with a 240 grit abrasive (Kanga board).

Before you ask (and I knew you would)… no, I don’t file side to centre. The reason being is that derms are now suggesting that using gentle motions and a gentle abrasive in a back and forth direction on the natural nail free edge actually helps to prevent splitting and peeling of the natural nail plate.

So what's it to be ? :lol:

It shouldn't, no.
Do you have a picture of your nails?
Solar oil is like a really rich fertilizer for your nails, it's like super health food. It's not going to be bad for your nails at all.
Cut back all the length on your nails before starting with intense solar oil treatment LOL:green:

Nope no pics of these ugly things.:| My thumbnails are finally getting some free edge on them but my index and middle are obnoxious looking and oh god the finderpads hurt as they are not use to touching anything.
I have cut them all back to the same lenght keeping them square and flat for better strength. Thanks for the info. I will get some tomorrow. :hug:

If you were my client i'd be retailing you A.H.A. Cuticle Eraser, Solar Oil and Toughen Up, a nail strengthener and base coat. Booking you in for regular manicures. This kind of nail needs protection and nourishment.

If you were my client i'd be retailing you A.H.A. Cuticle Eraser, Solar Oil and Toughen Up, a nail strengthener and base coat. Booking you in for regular manicures. This kind of nail needs protection and nourishment.
LOL i do all of the above mentioned. I oil, manicure, cuticle erase, massage, nail strength. Every week along with a parafin dip..
I bought some solar oil and carry the small bottle around in my pocket all day and apply before and after shampooing. ;) they are still shredding and peeling.

How about a thin overlay?

LOL i do all of the above mentioned. I oil, manicure, cuticle erase, massage, nail strength. Every week along with a parafin dip..
I bought some solar oil and carry the small bottle around in my pocket all day and apply before and after shampooing. ;) they are still shredding and peeling.

I used to work in a hair salon, and the stylists there all had the same problem so I tried them on either OPI's Nail Envy for split and peeling nails, or Nailtiques number 2. Both of them worked wonders and sorted the problem out within weeks. Apply as directed to start with and then when the problem is resolved use as when is necessary. Over use could actually then make them brittle. Also make sure you don't get strengtheners on your skin as it will treat it too and make it go hard. When your free edge is long enough cap it with the polish.

And oil oil oil!

Hey Sassy, I do use the OPI nail strengthener, this is how I grew them out after being artificial for so many years, but it just doesn't seem to be happening this time and for the life of me can't figure it out. I have even taken great care to pushing my cuticles back to encourage nail growth. It seems to be my worker nails..thumb, index and middle finger, cuticles dry and rough feeling ,nails peeling and shredding. I am wondering if it isn't because I am using those nails alot and not giving them a chance to be past the point of the finger tip so I don't use them as much and bump the nail?
I am to the point of thinking of wearing those rubber tips on them just to protect the nail.

JD--how long have you been using the OPI strengthener? The original formula can cause your nails to become brittle if it's used too long. I tell my clients to rotate that one with a non-formaldehyde resin product, every couple of months.

Of course, if you ever want to go back to enhancements, you can always visit me. :D

Hi Elyse,
I use the nail strengthner everyother day and at weeks end, remove it and start over. What do you suggest for a rotating product?
LOL We need to get together for lunch one day since you are just down the road from me. ;)

If your nails are brittle now, it might be a good idea to use a regular base coat instead of a strengthening one. You need your flexibility back now. :) So...as I am a CND user, I'd recommend Sticky, and your choice of CND top coat, and LOTS of Solar Oil, Solar Balm, Solar Silk...:) Try Cuticle Eliminator also, for all-around health of your natural nail and cuticle area.

We could meet at the Pickled Pepper for lunch sometime--I miss their pizza! :D

I am thinking they are a bit dry, using solar oil for that. they split in layers..then the very ends are so thin from the layers separating that then they are weak and just peel. Hmmm, interesting thing just occurred to me, I had beautiful nails then they started breaking..i was still using the OPI nail strengthener. Over used it??
Over use could actually then make them brittle. Also make sure you don't get strengtheners on your skin as it will treat it too and make it go hard. When your free edge is long enough cap it with the polish.
Wow..thanks Sassy for that heads up..didn't even cross my mind that nail strengthener could dry out the cuticles..I will be more diligent in applying and see if that helps. I am careful with my clients but not on myself..;) Isn't it amazing how we can diagnois other peoples nail problems but we can't do it to ourselves? I am that way also when I get sick. Can't think of what to take to make myself feel better..Wierd!

Elyse: I have heard of the pickled pepper in sumner right? but never been there. Hey did you guys have a ad out for a leasee?

Latest posts

Back