Natural nail side walls lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toothfairy

Reaction score
Can anyone advise if natural nails would lift at the side walls due to bad clipping or filing or if it could be due to poss health issues or trauma.
I have seen this on toe nails and finger nails.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

It depends; any of those things could cause the problem. But the most common cause of it is ...

If a client has been having enhanced nail services for a period of time and t he technician has been filing up and down the sides excessively (remembering there is a small free mergin of natural nail there) then, yes, lifting at the sidewalls is a real possibility (and quite common, unfortunately with so many people doing nails and bot understanding what they are doing to cause problems like this).

It depends; any of those things could cause the problem. But the most common cause of it is ...

If a client has been having enhanced nail services for a period of time and t he technician has been filing up and down the sides excessively (remembering there is a small free mergin of natural nail there) then, yes, lifting at the sidewalls is a real possibility (and quite common, unfortunately with so many people doing nails and bot understanding what they are doing to cause problems like this).

Thank you Geeg I will take that into consideration, however the most recent occassion was on males toenails (who has not had enhancements), he does also have marks that look like the nail is flaking however it is not.
Please see below picture. Any advise greatly apreciated.

Attachments

• 1342305564885.jpg
    1342305564885.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 810
CND has a great book on information discussing nail diseases and problems....As a veteran of 22yrs I have found that it could be toe nail fungus...there will be a discoloration...it could be a yeast infection [due to trauma to the nail i.e. if he is a long distance runner or working out vigorously.. I have also had this happen on finger nails many years ago ...one client it ws due to a yeast infection due to nail trauma and being on an antibiotic ...also if you are using any of the nail tek products if you get too close to the side wall lifting may occur! hope this is helpful;)!

The Nail Goddess

Thank you. I will have a look for the book.

He does not do vigorous exercise and has not been on antibiotics but he has been leaving his nails longer than usual as they seemed to be starting to ingrow and they felt sensitive in the corners when cut shorter.
So perhaps its trauma from shoes rubbing on a longer nail.

If it is trauma rather than fungal infection how would you suggest treating them, can we help stop the lifting?

I really do apreciate the opinions of experienced technicians such as yourself and Geeg so thank you both again.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back