Natural Nail Split through the centre

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemiss1t

Reaction score
Hello All,

I need some help with a client I had in on Saturday who has gel overlays and as her left hand natural nails aren't growing and a lot have broken, she suggested that we leave it for a couple of weeks, take the gel off and let the nails grow again on their own until they are all the same length again (If that all makes sense).

So when she sat down at my nail station, I saw gel on her nails that I had to buff off and on her little finger, part of the tip and where the tip is halfway down her nail, where it's grow, a split ALL THE WAY ACROSS HER OWN NAIL and looking very red.

I buffed very lightly so the gel came off. She said it felt relieved. But basically what do I do..... Do I advise her to wear a plaster so nothing gets inside her nail or should I have put a new overlay on so it is covered. I reallly don't think in the condition it is that putting gel, glue, tips or anything come to that, would help her, so leaving it to grow and covering it up with a plaster seems the best way to go.

Any tips (excuse the pun) or advice, I'm all ears, as I would like to call the client and advise her so the nail doesn't get infected if she was to use anything on her hands that might seep into the split.

Thanks

Carly x

Without seeing the nail it would be difficult to say.

First thing though is how do you think this happened? Was it yourself who put these gel enhancements on?
Could you have overfiled on the nail plate when blending the tip on this pinky? As this does sound themost likely cause.
Or do you think your client has been having a little file at them since she wanted the product off?

TBH if there was a split through to the nail bed I would have put an overlay back on to protect it until it grew out, as you say it is open to everything now.

Maybe a wrap would be a good idea to protect it while growing out.

In the past, with something like this, I've covered it with my acrylic right away.
If you cover it right away, you are promoting healing. I compare it to a cut on your knuckle. If you hold it straight, it will heal. If you don't, it will keep opening up, not to heal.

Kathleen
My Nails Rock!

I have a client who when she first came to me, had a vertical split down both her thumb nails. She had really bad beau lines on a few of her nails, she had been having chemotherapy a few months prior.

I did fibreglass wrap on her nails for a number of months until eventually the splits gradually grew out. I kept clipping every two to three weeks until all is ok now.

Hi,

I think maybe she may have filed at it as she wanted them off.... But I can't be sure that I didn't file or cause it...

For now I have advised to put a plaster over the nail, but surely, putting gel back on would irritate and cause then nail tramour to get worse with filing etc....??!!

I don't want to irritate it or make it worse. I just thought letting it breathe for a bit without puttingmore gel on would make it better.

I have been out of the nail industry for 2 years and have not come across this. I only do get as well.

Any more suggestions? And thanks to all who have replied

Carly

I have a client who when she first came to me, had a vertical split down both her thumb nails. She had really bad beau lines on a few of her nails, she had been having chemotherapy a few months prior.

I did fibreglass wrap on her nails for a number of months until eventually the splits gradually grew out. I kept clipping every two to three weeks until all is ok now.

Have to say hun Nails dont breathe they are made from keratin, so you dont ahve to worry about that.
Put an overlay on as protection and watch the nails over the next few weeks. Make sure that the nail is perfectly clean before you put the overlay on so that there is no room for a bacterial infection.

Will the filing over the top of the nail not make it worse??

I will have to "Scratch" the surface to make sure the bonder & gel sticks...

I wonder if I should call BABTAC and see what they say.... I just don't want it to get infected or any worse. I hate it when you doubt yourself but you never really know what the client has done to make it worse.

Carly x

Hi there, we do come across many peculiar things in our line of business but a simple rule is that you do not put any product over skin and certainly over any broken skin. So therefore if this lady has nail missing or if the nail itself is split then you should never place any product over it,

The reason for this is not just infection but it can lead to allergies and product intollerance therefore she may become allergic to the product and no longer be able to have any enhancements at all.

Better to be safe than sorry and let the nail heal first.

Hope this helps!

Sheila

To be honest I didn't know you could put enhancements over or repair sore bits to do with the nail plate, I was under the impression that if there was a dangerous crack or anything we had to remove and leave or get them to see a doc. But I can see the whole point about when it is covered it is better for the nail I suppose if it is protected it is better for the client. Just as long as it is completely sanitized to deter infection? Is it OK to do this then? I had the toenail from hell to deal with the other day (someone had dropped a hoover on it, broken all the gel and a bit of nail plate) thought I was being a bit naughty repairing it but if everyone else does it...I think I can be a bit dainty and I worry too much!:)

Latest posts

Back