Natural Nails Curling inwards at tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roLLerGirL

Reaction score
I've have an issue with my natural nails where they curl inwards at the tips and make the nails look wide at the base and then narrow at the end.

Whenever I wash my hands for an extended period - or after couple of minutes in the shower they straighten out & look fabulous - just like acrylics - but when they are dry again they start to curl in again.

I have tried slathering the Solar Oil on but it doesn't help them (surprising!). It seems only water will straighten the nails out - I guess they are soaking the water up and expanding.

I'm going to try drinking more water to see if it's something from the inside, but wondering if anyone has come across this & might have any suggestions?

Thanks guys :)

Thanks oey, I should have said, I read this article and although it's very informative but unfortunately it didn't really help. I like the suck spit thing - that's exactly what's happening, but this info was written with acrylics in mind.

I tried putting Solar Oil on right after the shower to "seal" in the moisture & they seemed to take a few more minutes than usual to curl, but curl they did. :(

My friend kat has nails like this and she gets a bowl & soaks her nails in warm solar oil once a week, she said this uncurls them and keeps them straighter for longer. Worth a try

If you wear tips (and tips applied to small - or using too small curved tips), then when you soak off, you can find they tend to curl.

They sorta been molded for weeks prior to taking off.

I know this sounds mad - but i had a friend who did it constantly. She applied small tips to make her nails appear nice and narrow (crazy girl)

My sister has these nails....do they look a bit like parrot's beaks when you look at them down the barrel?

They are curly down and she finds wearing polish all the time helps! And yes when they are wet they straighten up but only for a small amount of time....I have never found a real description for this type of nail but it is quite common....the nail plates tend to be quite thin also.

i have nails like this also. in the states theyre called eggshell nails. they are caused from medications or rings of fire. i dont think theres anything that will reverse it.

i have nails like this also. in the states theyre called eggshell nails. they are caused from medications or rings of fire. i dont think theres anything that will reverse it.

I think eggshell nails are when the nail curls over the end of the finger rather than curling in at the sides, if I understood the original post correctly that is.

Sorry for the confusion, they curl in from the sides - like a rose petal does - from the sides into the middle. The long part of the nail looks narrower than the base - kind of like this > (but not that dramatic). If you look down the barrel you see a curvy C. When I am in the shower they flatten out (square top like acrylic nails) & look flat down the barrel (with a slight curve - just like acrylics).

They seem quite strong & flexible since using Solar Oil daily so this is my only grief.

scattyfox, did your friend kat add the Solar Oil to warm water or fill the bowl completely with the warm solar oil?

that's how mine curl; sometimes it's just one side of my nail or both. some don't curl at all. i try to keep mine short or keep acrylics to cover it.

Only one of my nails does the curl and its only one side, a nail technician told me I must of damaged it when younger !!!!!!

Wouldn't an nno help ?

My index finger is like this too when the nail gets long enough, and my other nails are very flat! Also my nails are pretty thin and dry :cry: ( See my nails album for a before picture) The NNO really helps! After NNO all the nails are beatifully curled in the same way! :green:

I had that too!!!

now I sculpt them, cut away or file off the natural free edge, and they seem to look right whenever I have nothing on. but it's rare...

The nails on my index and middle finger curl round on my right hand but only on one side. I think it's how I hold pens, etc coz I'm right handed. Although on my left hand the nail on my index finger does the > thing at the end. I think I'm just odd :)
They go normal when they've been in water too. I tried nail polish and it works for a bit then cracks as the nail forces itself bent again!

Is this something that you've just noticed or have they alwys been like this. How long r your nails, and is this occurring on every nail, it could hereditary. Have you have nail tips on in the past which may have pinched your nails. Without actually seeing your nails its difficult to make judgement really. Could you post a picture?

My nails curl like this, in fact they curl off of gel or L&P when they reach NNO stage.

My nails were not always like this. I used to have lovely long natural nails but they deteriorated with age and I started wearing enhancements 3 years ago. They have continued to get thinner and weaker although they are not damaged in any way.

I think eggshell nails are when the nail curls over the end of the finger rather than curling in at the sides, if I understood the original post correctly that is.

You are indeed correct. Basically, there is nothing you can do to prevent it, but there are different things you can do to remedy it. You can glue them down to the sides of the enhancement, you can trim them down or e-file them out. But if it's for natural nails, that's how they will be. Keeping them hydrated helps but there pretty much is no "cure".

I have this problem too particularly with my index and middle fingers a they get a bit of length. The nail curls away from the enhancement after about 2 weeks.

I find it annoying because I like my nails square and it makes them look pointy when they are not short. I use a builder gel for french and I am able to shape them to look less curled very nicely.

If I understand this thread correctly it seems to me that you lack an intake of Vit B12 - alternatively this also indicates respiratory or heart problems, but of course you need a doctor to attend to this should you suspect it may be the case. Try upping your fluid and supplement intake.

Latest posts

Back