Natural white hair turned yellow/light brown when blow dried?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose48

Reaction score
Can anyone advise, I have a regular blow dry client with nearly 100% natural white hair and this week her hair was turning a funny yellow/brown colour instantly when I was drying it. The colour shampooed out but again after using different shampoo, different stying products and changed out my drier her hair again changed colour?? My client has recently finished a course of antibiotics. I’ve been hairdressing for 30years and have never experienced this before. I wondered if my water could be a factor but as far as I’m aware there has been no change in my supply. Can anyone advise please?

Last edited:
Can anyone advise, I have a regular blow dry client with nearly 100% natural white hair and this week her hair was turning a funny yellow/brown colour instantly when I was drying it. The colour shampooed out but again after using different shampoo, different stying products and changed out my drier her hair again changed colour?? My client has recently finished a course of antibiotics. I’ve been hairdressing for 30years and have never experienced this before. I wondered if my water could be a factor but as far as I’m aware there has been no change in my supply. Can anyone advise please?
I've notices this every now and again with clients who have white hair. It could definitely be water! I live in a hard water area. Maybe try heat protection? It could also be the product burning?

Hi, appreciate your reply. I have had no other clients with these symptoms. I tested my own highlighted hair with the water and heat to no adverse effect so I’m now convinced her medcation is causing a by product residue? Whatever the cause you could be right, there maybe something reacting and causing the product to burn because it shampoos out so thermal protection maybe a solution? Many thanks. Wish me luck for next week.

Hi, appreciate your reply. I have had no other clients with these symptoms. I tested my own highlighted hair with the water and heat to no adverse effect so I’m now convinced her medcation is causing a by product residue? Whatever the cause you could be right, there maybe something reacting and causing the product to burn because it shampoos out so thermal protection maybe a solution? Many thanks. Wish me luck for next week.
I hope you find your answer! Maybe it is to do with the medication. Medications do change things in our hair as you probably already know. Do you know what she's been taking?

Good luck!!

I hope you find your answer! Maybe it is to do with the medication. Medications do change things in our hair as you probably already know. Do you know what she's been taking?
Hi, no sorry, she couldn’t remember the name of the antibiotics herself but she did say they knocked her for six and then the doctors surgery phoned her up to say they wanted to change them for another antibiotic after she had been taking them for few days which I also thought odd? Thanks again and we’ll see what thursday brings. :)

You could also suggest she asks her pharmacist as they’re usually very knowledgable about possible side effects from particular drugs.

Hi again, her daughter actually works in a pharmacy so did ask the pharmacist who had no immediate answers and seemed pretty disinterested about it. We ended up setting her hair in rollers last week and she was so pleased we did it again this week so no drier on saturated hair, so no adverse effects! I checked her hair for metallic salts with negative results so got to be a by product from her meds? Thank goodness we had rollers as an option, don’t know what a younger person with lightened hair would do?! Was so scarey to experience as a self employed stylist working on her own! Thanks for your help.

Really unlikely to be medication unless the course of antibiotics lasted for many months.

Could just be a natural color property of the hair, natural depigmented hair rarely grows the smooth clean stark white we want it to. And sometimes the tone of the white changes over the years for no predictable reason, just to make things more fun for hairstylists.
Tone it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back