Naughty Nail Biter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanessaB

Reaction score
I have been asked to enhance a lady with very tiny nail plates due to the fact that she is manic nail biter. Her plates are probably only 1/2 the size they should be.

They are also dented and very thin due to a previous nail technicians work. Im also afraid to say that she was Creative trained but did NOT follow any of the guidelines. My nails were also damaged by her before I did the Foundation course. Thought she was good til I found out the correct way!

Anyway what advice do you give? Should I even proceed?

Is it ok to go ahead but keep them short, and how should I pre tailor the tip for good blending?

Im nervous as she would also like Fabric which I love but not sure if this is ok for this type of client?

PLease help a very worried tech!

Hi ya Hun,
Well you will have your work cut out but....................
Fabric# is perfect for this................

Ok here is a quick step by step to help you........

1. a good manicure, they have the worst cuticles usualy

2. prep as usual, take good care to remove all rubble, debrise and other lurking non essential stuff, from the nail.

3. one coat of bond, let it air dry.

4. one coat of build, to even out the nail plate, activate or airdry.

5. Lightly smooth the nail plate (white buffer or Koala), so you have a nice even surface to apply the tip to.

6. pre-blend tips, you only need a small contact area , as the strength is in the system not the tip itself.

8. apply tips , I use bond as it is thin and there will be no resin build up under the nail ( nasty resin ridges)

9. Cut tips to size and blend what little there is left to blend
Then proceed with the Fabric# system in the usual way.

You can also just to sculpt with the Fabric#, then there is no need to use a tip at all ....................

Hope this helps
love Ruth xxxxx

Hope this helps un............

I will definately try your techniques when I come to do the nails.

I would never have thought of putting a layer of Build on to level out the nail first!

Hopefully I wont have too many problems. At least its good practise!

Thanks a million.
X

I too have a nail biter in on Monday evening - she also has the smallest tiniest little nails ever! Looks like I'll be using up all those little diddy nails that have been accumulating in the nail box!!!

Just hope her nails aren't too short for tips!

Love
Sue
x

another little "tip" is to SADDLE the tip before applying so that it does not stick into the bulbous bit usually found at the end of the finger of a nail biter, you can either cut or file out a little at the side of the tip (where it would cut into the skin if it was pressed)
You could use liquid and powder or Fabric, but always make sure you keep the enhancement short and book the client in to see you again within a week!
If you haven't already done your master classes it would really help you to book onto Makeover Magic which deals with how to makeover problem nails such as nailbiters, ski jump etc.
DEBBIE[/quote]

Hi Gloria........
Well trim back the natural nail, if there is any................
Use a gentle arched tip, attach the tip at a downward angel with a gel adhesive, check from side that it's curving downwards and not standing to attention...............
Then use any system to overlay.............

I wouldn't sculpt as it is very hard to correct the dip and build a good apex without using copious amounts of Product...............

Just a thought
love Ruth xxx

Found this thread very interesting but, even more so now that I too have a nail biter booked in for Monday. She has very slender fingers and the tiniest plates I've EVER seen! I have another nail biter with fan nails and the common bulbous bit and I find her hard work - but this one :huh: I wish I could post a pic as I dont even know how to describe them other than to say they are concave :freak: . Would I be best to tip or sculpt, I'm using Calgel (self leveller, one comp.) What would you do peeps.

Well , I did my nail biter last night and came out of it with mixed feelings! I used tips as advised by Ruth :thumbsup: and was done in 1 1/2 hours - record time for me, I usually insist on sculpting but, am not getting my times down :(
Everything went well except I'm sad to say that despite all my advice she insisted that she wanted quite a bit of length. I told her that it would drastically reduce the amount of time she would keep them for, I even pointed out how unbalanced they looked but - she insisted -saying she's had them done like that before.
She also told me the story of how she was cut at the last salon (everyone seems to say that) and heres the bit thats really off topic. She said as soon as she walked out of the door she noticed little vertical cracks in the acrylic and asked me what would have caused it. As I dont do acrylic I couldnt answer but, pressumed it would be something to do with the mix. Can someone enlighten me just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanx.

Nice one Gloria,
See you can do it ................
this was just one of many I bet.........
As for the crack, I assume she had tips on and then acrylic over the top????
Well tips crack if they are not sized propperly, as in too small, pressure on the nail plate, and if on top of that she scrubfreshed or primed the whole nail including the tip, it would cause a break down in the service and lead to certical cracks..........
just my thoughts on this..........

Love Ruth xxxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back