Need advice as cosmetologist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veronicamarie

Reaction score
Im really desperate for some advice from an experienced hairstylist with a large clientele...
In 2015 I graduated from cosmetology school and I got my license. The problem is, the "cosmetology" school I went to was a part of my high school and it was a free program meaning I did not get that much of experience... we never had walk in clients to practice on and the books were old and the teachers weren't that experienced either...

flash forward 2 years into having my license i started working at a local salon in my area and i started to assist for one of the stylists... i realized i was no where near ready to be on my own and it was very embarrassing that i couldnt do a simple haircut or even hold my shears the right way or the fact that my full head of highlight took me almost 6 hours and how hard it was for me to hold the foils tightly...

i got very discouraged and left the salon and decided doing hair just wasnt for me and found a job as an assistant manager making great money so i decided hair was no longer in my future. Well now im 23.... and i do still have my license, i renew it every year and Ive been thinking a lot lately about getting back into hair and I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START!! I want to build clientele, but first I feel like i need to RE LEARN everything from school again!! What would you do if you were me?!! Im scared to take the first step... any advice??!

Hi veronicamarie, did you have to take state boards? Did you not have to have a model with you to perform services on?

My advice to you is: contact cosmetology schools in your area and ask if they offer continuing education classes. Also, you can contact hair suppliers, and see if they offer continuing education.

When I went to continuing ed for nails, I know cosmetology continuing ed classes were offered.

Best of luck! :)

Latest posts

Back