Need advice-massage certificate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mommabear

Reaction score
Hey geeks

Just after some advice......started in a salon 2 n a half years ago and my boss at the time payed for me to do a swedish massage course.

Fast forward to 4 weeks ago....i handed my notice in to concentrate on my salon (boss fully aware and fully supported me throughout)

Anywho.....i offered to pay her the money back for my course so i could have my certificate (i had to give her the certificate when i received it) however, she refused.

Now a few people i have spoken to have said she has no right to withold my certificate and the fact i have offered to pay her the money back they cant understand why she declined my offer. Some have said to phone up the awarding body explain whats happened and request a replacement.

What would you guys do?
I left on amicable terms....kind of....a lot of water under the bridge i dont like holding grudges.

Thanks geeks
Xxx

That's really odd. Unless she stated in your contract you had to re pay training if you left within a certain amount of time then she can't withhold the cert.
If you want to keep things amicable as you mentioned, is just ring the certifying body and explain. I'm sure they'll issue you a replacement.

People are strange ‍♀️

she has probably been careless and has no idea where it is tbh! I would deffo phone the certifying body and ask for a replacement. They may charge you an admin fee, but it'll be less than you're offering to pay her!

Thanks geeks.

I wouldnt know what it says in my contract as we were never given a copy :-s
But the fact ive offered to pay her for it and she has declined is bizarre.
She uses the training academy i went to all the time for the girls in there and i remember a girl who left phoned them up asking for a replacement and the trainer said no an phoned my boss up to tell her :-s

I have a photograph of my certificate and i know the training centre i went to too but dont know the awarding body :-s

Think it will be easy to suss?
Xx

I think she’s causing you problems on purpose. However amiable and helpful she was let’s be honest here she will lose some clients over this
Certificates themselves are not replaceable. Best you can get is a signed statement that you were indeed rewarded this certificate and that’s only in case of loss but it’s not quite the same is it? Without a proper certificate I doubt any insurance will cover you. She has found a way to create a problem for you to have less clients and she’s exploiting it.

If I were you I’d ask some legal advice. The cert is yours and since you have offered to pay for it she has no right to withhold it. Hell, you could get it back even without paying. Talk to a solicitor and take her to small claims. Let’s see how “helpful” and “amiable” she will be then

Certificates can be replaced if the course is a recognized qualification such as NVQ. You simply contact the awarding body directly with your details inc. date of award and where it was taken. There’s usually a charge but they will advise.
However, if it’s a local course only accredited by an insurance provider, you might struggle.
The tricky aspect here is that the employer paid the fee and entered into a contract with the course provider. You are a third party to the contract. The course provider gave the employer the certificate so I don’t see how you could sue them directly as they completed their part of the agreement.
I think you could try getting a Solicitor to write a letter to your employer requesting the certificate. The fact that you didn’t sign anything means that she has no real authority to withhold it.
Call her bluff.

Certificates can be replaced if the course is a recognized qualification such as NVQ. You simply contact the awarding body directly with your details inc. date of award and where it was taken. There’s usually a charge but they will advise.
However, if it’s a local course only accredited by an insurance provider, you might struggle.
The tricky aspect here is that the employer paid the fee and entered into a contract with the course provider. You are a third party to the contract. The course provider gave the employer the certificate so I don’t see how you could sue them directly as they completed their part of the agreement.
I think you could try getting a Solicitor to write a letter to your employer requesting the certificate. The fact that you didn’t sign anything means that she has no real authority to withhold it.
Call her bluff.

The certificate was sent to my home and i handed it to her :-s
Having only just started and not really wanting to question any of it i just gave it her.
Bit of a boob there lol
Xx

Thanks geeks.

I wouldnt know what it says in my contract as we were never given a copy :-s
But the fact ive offered to pay her for it and she has declined is bizarre.
She uses the training academy i went to all the time for the girls in there and i remember a girl who left phoned them up asking for a replacement and the trainer said no an phoned my boss up to tell her :-s

I have a photograph of my certificate and i know the training centre i went to too but dont know the awarding body :-s

Think it will be easy to suss?
Xx

If you have a photo of the certificate, then have a close look at the wording on it. What does it say?
If it is from VTCT or City & Guilds etc, it will say on it, otherwise it might just be one issued by that training establishment.
To ascertain if the training centre is accredited (and therefore certificate is valid - by which I mean recognised for insurance purposes), I would contact the Guild or BABTAC, email them your photo and see what they say.

A bit crappy of her really. If it has been a couple of years since the training and you have worked for her in all that time then I think she is being unreasonable to withhold it from you. Normally there is a period within which you would have to repay the money if you left after the training. Quite unkind really. Did she have it up on the wall? I would go and get it. Did you ask her for it in person? I would go and put her on the spot and ask why you can't have it? Do you need to do any further training with the same training academy? They might be more likely to give you a copy if they are getting something out of it too. You could book something and then ask about the certificate.

If you have a photo of the certificate, then have a close look at the wording on it. What does it say?
If it is from VTCT or City & Guilds etc, it will say on it, otherwise it might just be one issued by that training establishment.
To ascertain if the training centre is accredited (and therefore certificate is valid - by which I mean recognised for insurance purposes), I would contact the Guild or BABTAC, email them your photo and see what they say.

Thank you.

I will do that next.
Ive just spoken to my insurance company an said i have photographic proof but no hard copy and they said i need the hard copy incase anyone ever makes a claim against me :-(
Such a pain
Xx

A bit crappy of her really. If it has been a couple of years since the training and you have worked for her in all that time then I think she is being unreasonable to withhold it from you. Normally there is a period within which you would have to repay the money if you left after the training. Quite unkind really. Did she have it up on the wall? I would go and get it. Did you ask her for it in person? I would go and put her on the spot and ask why you can't have it? Do you need to do any further training with the same training academy? They might be more likely to give you a copy if they are getting something out of it too. You could book something and then ask about the certificate.

Its been two years since i did the training an i said can i pay you for my massage certificate :-s she said theres only two insurance companies that will insure this particular certificate but wouldnt state who.

Its useless to her as it has my name on it :-(

Im always looking for more training but they dont offer what im after so i wont be going back there unfortunately.

Xx

You have a couple of options:

if it's a local college that did your massage training contact them. If they are unable to offer a replacement certificate then you could sign up and do a fast track massage qual with anyone.

TBH if the original training college certificate is only accepted by a couple of insurers, it might be worth doing a nationally recognized one. That will be recognized by most insurers and will be good if you need to change insurers at a later date.

treat it as a bit of CPD :)

You have a couple of options:

if it's a local college that did your massage training contact them. If they are unable to offer a replacement certificate then you could sign up and do a fast track massage qual with anyone.

TBH if the original training college certificate is only accepted by a couple of insurers, it might be worth doing a nationally recognized one. That will be recognized by most insurers and will be good if you need to change insurers at a later date.

treat it as a bit of CPD :)

I have been looking at it to be honest. Im about to ernol onto a training school to do a course in holistic facials....they do a massage course also so might just bite the bullet an go there to do my massage
Xx

This is getting ridiculously out of hand. Why can’t you just stay your ground and go demand it back?
We have told you to ask a solicitor’s advice and instead you enlist yourself in a new course. It’s really not a matter of knowledge here, but of ethics. Regardless if the new certificate will include the knowledge from your old one I’d still want it back. You worked for it, it’s yours since you are offering to pay for it.
You are allowing this woman to bully and trump all over you and you don’t even realize it. She’s the kind of friend I wouldn’t want to hold onto and she can keep her “amiable” feelings for someone else.
This has BULLYING written all over it. And you are letting it happen!
Why ask for advice if you’re not gonna follow it? Talk to a solicitor!
Sorry for the tone but really hun I think you need some tough love here. Don’t you have someone close to you to back you up in this?

I don't understand why you haven't just phoned the training academy and explained the situation and asked them to issue you with another certificate?

To be honest, if you were willing to pay her for the certificate anyway, then you'd be better to take that money and spend it on an updated massage course that more than just two insurers will cover.

I wouldn't even waste any more time, energy, or money on seeing a solicitor about this or trying to cajole your ex-boss into handing it over.

She could easily be lying about the 2 insurers

If the certificate is yours, can’t you speak to the non emergency police and see what they say about it? Surely it’s theft if she won’t hand it back x

If the certificate is yours, can’t you speak to the non emergency police and see what they say about it? Surely it’s theft if she won’t hand it back x
It's a civil matter, not a criminal one.

And this is where the system fails us :/

And ask her for a copy of your contract. You are entitled to one

Latest posts

Back