Need advice on a trainee

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popart

Reaction score
Hey guys!
Have a trainee working with me at the moment! At the start she was great but now its a disaster! Everytime I ask her for a treatment its awful. She waxed my underarms last week and burnt my skin! This is a liability. I dont know whether to let her go cause I am getting frustrated with her.

Hi Hun

Have you spoken to her about her performance?

If not maybe you should make her aware that the maintaining the high lever of quality of services in your salon is imperative at all times and if she will not change her ways immediately she will have to go. Make sure you say that it's been spotted not only by you but also by clients so you're not picking on her but discussing the problem.

She may not be caring anymore or may have some problems at home etc. Which affects her performance.

But I would highly recommend you to speak to her asap so that she's aware that's her future is up to her. She may potentially put you in trouble and risk the good name if your salon.

I've been working for few years as a manager and i fully understand your pain.

At the end of the day it's your business and you work hard to keep your customers happy. She can join you or leave you- her choice.

Good luck

is she a nervous newbie? does she need more practice/training?....just some questions to consider maybe.

I hope it goes ok for you as it must be a very frustrating situation for both people (assuming the trainee's giving it her best)

Yeah I have mentioned it to her and she said maybe she was rough with me! There has been a few complaints (main one) when I was on holiday she got one of the hairdressers to do a french polish on a girls toes (thankfully my friend) and I was so shocked and embarrassed about this!
Then she wanted to take my makeup out of my salon to take home and do girls makeups thats wer going to a wedding that day!!! Is that brass neck or what. These things are building up and its getting to the point I cant look at her. What right way is there to go about this? Its really stressing me out!
She lures around the salon cursing, talking on the mobile etc! At first I thought she was a god send cause she was brilliant now shes just plain annoying and more interested getting free hair dos.

I was hoping she would bring business to me but this could lead to me having no business!

Thanks for your reply! Being a salon owner is NOT easy lol.

Shes Level 3 and is here now 5 months. She was so confident at the start but now she doesnt show me respect esp in front of clients!
I will hold a brief meeting with her tomorrow. I hate being put into this position but it is my business at the end of the day!
Im really angry at this stage :(

This is what i would do:
Stay confident and speak clearly and to the point without being abrupt. Know what you want to say to her but dont practice the speech. She is treating you more like a friend and has lost the 'boss' respect and in the meeting you need to get the roles right.
List the things that have gone wrong, give her a chance to respond but dont let her argue with you. Tell her how it is going to be in the future and again let her respond but dont let her argue the rules becuase they are not open to discussion, they are your rules and they are how you want your salon to run.
Basically then just tell her that you want to help her become an experienced and better therapist and you want to give her the oppurtunity but if she cant run and work in the salon how you would like then she doesnt have a future with you.
hope it helps xxx

Just a quick note to add to the last thread - make sure you write everything down that you 'mention' to her and then get her to agree and sign that it is a true reflection of your discussion, you could safeguard yourself further and ask someone to sit in quietly as an observer of your chat to act as a witness that she was not treated unfairly.
Venetia

Getting a hairdresser to paint someone's nails is outrageous and it doesn't matter who the client was.

Asking to take your products home to do other clients is outrageous,

Disrespect towards you is outrageous.

Talking on her phone during business hours is outrageous.

I would have a formal meeting with her to raise all these points and advise her that she is on written notice and one more incident of this nature and she will be asked to leave.

I don't expect anyone to take the following advice and please everyone don't try to advise me on what I am about to say .. any person employed in my salon behaving in this way is going to be told to leave and I would take the consequences.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do though my lovely, I feel for you.

Jacqui xx

Thank you for your replies! Means a lot to me.

I will be DEF saying something today cause the only person Im hurting at the moment is myself and I hate this angry feeling!

I will def be saying something today cause my business isnt safe otherwise! But I really have to consider telling her to leave cause she is stressing me out big time.

I like doing most of the work as people feel comfortable with me and I like her watching to gain practice! She went and done a makeup last Saturday, it was a trial for the formal and it was awful. I didnt want her doing the makeup but by the time I was finished waxing another client I came out and the girl was paying at the till. I knew to look at her that I lost her. So she is wasting money. I have spoke to her before so I know it would be better for me to tell her to go! :(

I will let you know how I get on and again thank you for all your advice!!

xxx

Well!! Didnt go to well, was so busy today I was dealing with clients and she was lying on the sofa doing damn all only chatting crap to clients. Im so frustrated.

She asked a hair stylist what percent she needs when the stylist was mixing a colour. I said u are not a hairdresser, she said are u scared that I will be! I said u can do what u want but you are a beautician, she said she was only helping I said I dont care looks bad in front of clients u trying to help with the hairdressing end!

I didnt get the guts to tell her to go! Will I contact her tutor now or what because I feel that every little thing is annoying me now and I sound like a nag.

This is YOUR business, YOU are the boss....get rid, simples! xx

^ I agree completely. I don't own a salon, but I would get extremely angry and embarrassed if I saw a girl lazing about on the sofa.

I don't expect anyone to take the following advice and please everyone don't try to advise me on what I am about to say .. any person employed in my salon behaving in this way is going to be told to leave and I would take the consequences.
Jacqui xx

I am with you 100% I have a part time trainee and she would NEVER act this way! We set out ground rules right from the beginning. We get on well, she is comfortable and slowly gaining in confidence but we both know the score and what is expected.

im sorry to say but she sort of knows you are hesitant towards her or anyone else and is taking advantage. YOU DONT OWE THIS GIRL NOTHING!!!!

she's the exact opposite of what all beauty therapists ought to be. A DISGRACE TO OUR KIND!!!
let her know what yu are thinking and let her go bek to college and learn she's obviously not ready
u'd be duing yoself and any1 that might come across her later in life a HUGE favour.xx

I don't know employment law as it's complicated, do u not need to do verbal then written warnings? Think it would depend how long she's worked for u but tread carefully as if you don't want to end up in employment tribunal. Would say there's not any harm in giving her an official verbal warning, tell her what you expect of her and what will happen if there are any more incidents. She might just need a fright. Hope this helps x

She sent me a text there now saying "tutor is calling out Thursday or Friday :/

So that was a sign! Im going to write out all problems and hand them to the tutor, what do u think?

She texted me to tell me her tutor is coming thursday or friday so do I just tell her?
I wrote back no problem and she texted me back saying "are u pissed off with me?" I said I will talk Friday as we are going to have a staff meeting and that Im not pissed off just stressed out with the complaints I am getting and I would rather talk in person! She hasnt replied so I dont know what to think.

I have written out rules today and Im going to print them out and hold a staff meeting Friday outlining everything! Hope this works, but then again she might not come back!!

She I's so disrespectful, I feel for you, the thing is shes probably going to get worse I would never have texed my boss asking are you pissed off with me! Hope it all goes well for you. Xx

Latest posts

Back