Need advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pippy

Reaction score
hello guys,
just wanted to see what any of you with do in a situation lik ethis. I have an eldery lady client who wants me to put a red streak on her hair. problem is she coloured her hair black (live colour) last week. she is naturally 100% white hair. now my first thought was to apply a bleach bath to the strip and then colour afterwards. but wouldn't that be bad for her hair? i mean put aside the fact that i think it wouldn't suit her because what i think wouldn't matter (the customer gets what they want and all that).
i've never done a bleach bath before so i'm a bit nervous about the concept. what would you guys advice. any help would be greatly appreciated thanksxxx

First take a test strand bleach bath it up to your desired level (probably a 6) then apply your target shade using only 3%, so you have something to show her also check the compatability with her home colouring!!! Bleach baths are absolutely fine for the hair if done properly! All equal parts used, so one level scoop of bleach, one level scoop of 3% or 6% (6% in this case if it is black!) and one level scoop of warm water, Then just watch it and keep checking until it has lifted enough! hth x
hello guys,
just wanted to see what any of you with do in a situation lik ethis. I have an eldery lady client who wants me to put a red streak on her hair. problem is she coloured her hair black (live colour) last week. she is naturally 100% white hair. now my first thought was to apply a bleach bath to the strip and then colour afterwards. but wouldn't that be bad for her hair? i mean put aside the fact that i think it wouldn't suit her because what i think wouldn't matter (the customer gets what they want and all that).
i've never done a bleach bath before so i'm a bit nervous about the concept. what would you guys advice. any help would be greatly appreciated thanksxxx

hey magenta,

thanks for the advice babe, i tried the test strand but her hair just did not lighten so i straight out bleached the strand that lightened. i applied a 6.62 fanci full colour on the strand after rinsing and drying it but tat didn't take much:-? any ideas why? as a newly qualified hairdresser i really do wish i can be in a salon but until i do i just have to waddle along in the dark. i am great with cutting hair but it's just teh chemical treatments that are a complete mystery to me:confused:

If u don't think it will suit the client then don't do it-the client isn't always right and it's our job to advise more appropriate colours,treatments etc.
Don't forget that every client you do is a walking advert for you,if it doesn't suit her then ppl will ask who did it and make a mental note never to let you touch their hair! They don't know that this is what she asked for-they just see the end result. Don't be afraid to be a 'no' stylist xx

hey magenta,

thanks for the advice babe, i tried the test strand but her hair just did not lighten so i straight out bleached the strand that lightened. i applied a 6.62 fanci full colour on the strand after rinsing and drying it but tat didn't take much:-? any ideas why? as a newly qualified hairdresser i really do wish i can be in a salon but until i do i just have to waddle along in the dark. i am great with cutting hair but it's just teh chemical treatments that are a complete mystery to me:confused:

Tint won't lift tint for a start and if it's an xxl you won't get it to budge at all!! Even bleach struggles!!

wow emma I never thought of it that way. she does look like a tarot reader which is wat i thought she would look like. and blurinse yeah the bleach did struggle i left it for a long time and heated it but it went to a coppery golden colour (uneven) and then the red tint itself didn't catch that much either it just turned it into a more acceptable redish coppery colour. well thank you so much girls. i will keep that info in mind for future clients.xxx

Good luck on bleach bathing a live colour. I spent 5 hrs doing one and got no where fast! Don't do anything until you have strand tested first. :)

Good luck on bleach bathing a live colour. I spent 5 hrs doing one and got no where fast! Don't do anything until you have strand tested first. :)

hey sophisticutz, thanx for the reply i did do a strand test but the hair would just not lighten up as well i spent a whole hour waitting for it and gave up in the end applied it to her hair and it went coppery. i'm seeing her again next week so wat i thought was to apply a live red colour on the lightened strand that way it will be take and look brighter in college we used to use moose colours to boost the redness but that always faded out after the client left the salon and got trapped under a rain shower i never liked that cause it felt dishonest to me. so do u think the live red would work?:|

Why would you want to apply a live colour? It's not even a professional colour and would not be covered by your insurance if you used it.

I would not, personally, touch a live colour with a barge pole.

Do you not usually use professional colours?

hey sophisticutz, thanx for the reply i did do a strand test but the hair would just not lighten up as well i spent a whole hour waitting for it and gave up in the end applied it to her hair and it went coppery. i'm seeing her again next week so wat i thought was to apply a live red colour on the lightened strand that way it will be take and look brighter in college we used to use moose colours to boost the redness but that always faded out after the client left the salon and got trapped under a rain shower i never liked that cause it felt dishonest to me. so do u think the live red would work?:|

Not dishonest at all....that's the intended purpose of these mousses!! They last till u wash or get rained on. And yes why on earth would you use box dye not salon ?!?

Basically the client can't have what she wants. Even if (and it's a very big if) you got her hair blonde enough to make the red look vibrant etc. it would be so pourous that it would fade to a nasty orange within one or two washes. Is her hair long enough to put in a few fashion extensions? I often go this route if they've used a box colour at home and want the look brightened up a bit with red or purple or blue etc.... Just a thought.
Nick
X

Latest posts

Back