Need advice regarding nails falling off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkyboots33

Reaction score
:o Can someone list the reasons for the above please...

Im sure I prep properly and I use pro impression tips as it takes me ages to reduce the contact are and blems with the cnd velocity ones. any tips on getting the pro impressions to adhere properly would be fab, Iv noticed a couple have a little gap between the tip and nail plate :evil: but im scared if i press over the tips i will get stuck to my client :rolleyes: could that be the problem?

When i apply a tip i also apply pressure from underneath the fingertip i find tips adhere better this way, and i have too had the odd moment of being stuck to my client lol mainly because i used to much nail adheisive x

i think velocity tips are one of the easiest to blend??are you using the correct files to blend? have you tried using different files to see what you get on with better.

i think velocity tips are one of the easiest to blend??are you using the correct files to blend? have you tried using different files to see what you get on with better.

I used the blizzard to reduce and boomerang to blend but im a newbie and it takes me aaaaages! over an hr to tip and blend :mad: I really like all things nail but the filing and blending is getting to me, I just cant seem to get it right! when you geeks were newbies did you have days where you felt like throwing in the towel? Im charging half price, taking me around 2/3 hrs then half an hr to an hour to fix problems after a few days :sad: I just cant keep going at this rate and seriously thinking im going to have to take on some kind of other job :twisted:

can I ask what files and adhesive you guys use?

CND taught me to use the 180 of the Blizzard to pre-tailor and pre-blend. Then 180 Blizzard to debulk, and then 240 Koala to blend. I'm using GelBond.

I've only done a few full sets but I'm taking more like 35mins at this point. I found that constantly changing file and checking (by using CoolBlue) was really slowing me down.

CND taught me to use the 180 of the Blizzard to pre-tailor and pre-blend. Then 180 Blizzard to debulk, and then 240 Koala to blend. I'm using GelBond.

I've only done a few full sets but I'm taking more like 35mins at this point. I found that constantly changing file and checking (by using CoolBlue) was really slowing me down.

Same as me then... but its taking me AGES! :Scared:

I just wanted to give I a hug

We all have days like that... I had one last Friday, hubby's sis a terrible nail biter texts please can you do nails tonight I'm of to Leeds in morn for birthday, nightmare as know they won't last and I have very little experience of nail beers and by end I was arghhh why did I agree, why do I do this..

I just think 12 months time it will be better :)

So big hugs xx

I just wanted to give I a hug

We all have days like that... I had one last Friday, hubby's sis a terrible nail biter texts please can you do nails tonight I'm of to Leeds in morn for birthday, nightmare as know they won't last and I have very little experience of nail beers and by end I was arghhh why did I agree, why do I do this..

I just think 12 months time it will be better :)

So big hugs xx

Aw.... thanks for the hug Maz, I sure do need it :) I didnt think it would be easy but honestly didnt think it would be this hard either, just not sure where to go from here :Scared:

Aw.... thanks for the hug Maz, I sure do need it :) I didnt think it would be easy but honestly didnt think it would be this hard either, just not sure where to go from here :Scared:

I do understand, I've been doing mine, friends and family for years (a traned friend showed me over 13 years ago how to do fibreglass overlays and extentions) and I do means years, I then trained this year as others were asking and I wasn't prepared to do them without being qualified and insured, plus products have come on so much since I started. (Just wanted to add I've always worked in another job, originally the nails were just for me as I worked odd ours and easier to do my own, I wasn't doing paid work to any public)

I want them to be perfect, thin, elegant but I get ones that I know will cause probs, like my lovely sis in law who bites her nails and picks when she has extentions (I've always avoided doing hers and let her have them at a salon, but they only last few weeks even from a Salon) I've another lady she has a skin complaint tha causes soft, bendy, ridged nails, she can't have l&p due to allergies, so trying gels and overlays and extentions and so far nothing works all chip, or comes of a free edge, upsets me that so far i have not found a solution, I feel sometimes like giving up, but the I look at mine, never lift, never any problems, I look a others no probs and think... Carry on, I just say in my head I'm still learning, I will try and do my best, keep reading, watching vids, and when all else fails moan to hubby and have tea and biscuits

You will get there just takes little steps and our time it will turn to leaps and bounds, friend said that to me, when I was doing her nails few weeks ago and ts true, stay positive and eventually it will come right :)

If no we can meet and go down the ub and get drunk *chuckle*

Last edited:
I was shown a really good tip on blending where you use your thumb and finger as a guide for the file.. I shall try and explain.
You use thumb and point finger to not only pull down sidewalls but guide the file so it can not touch the natural nail. you can then use quite a bit of pressure on your first few strokes as you can be sure it will not touch the natural nail. This speeds things up a little as you can be confident the file isn't touching the natural nail and put slightly more pressure on the filing.
Now I have wrote this it doesn't make much sense lol

Same as me then... but its taking me AGES! :Scared:

I thought you used the Boomerange? I have found that, even though it is a 180, due to how padded it is it doesn't tend to abrade as much as the Koala.

I used the blizzard to reduce and boomerang to blend but im a newbie and it takes me aaaaages! over an hr to tip and blend :mad: I really like all things nail but the filing and blending is getting to me, I just cant seem to get it right! when you geeks were newbies did you have days where you felt like throwing in the towel? Im charging half price, taking me around 2/3 hrs then half an hr to an hour to fix problems after a few days :sad: I just cant keep going at this rate and seriously thinking im going to have to take on some kind of other job :twisted:

I feel like this too, im halfway through my course the tutors are telling us all our problems should be ironed out by now yet i feel i cant get anything right. I should be qualified in 4 weeks but the way i feel right now i dont feel i should be qualifying anytime soon :eek: i mean the nails turn out ok but its the getting there that is so frustrating x

I was shown a really good tip on blending where you use your thumb and finger as a guide for the file.. I shall try and explain.
You use thumb and point finger to not only pull down sidewalls but guide the file so it can not touch the natural nail. you can then use quite a bit of pressure on your first few strokes as you can be sure it will not touch the natural nail. This speeds things up a little as you can be confident the file isn't touching the natural nail and put slightly more pressure on the filing.
Now I have wrote this it doesn't make much sense lol

I think I do that... hold the finger so the side walls are more ou the way?

I thought you used the Boomerange? I have found that, even though it is a 180, due to how padded it is it doesn't tend to abrade as much as the Koala.

Im getting confussed with the names, I defo used the wee padded koala :biggrin:

I feel like this too, im halfway through my course the tutors are telling us all our problems should be ironed out by now yet i feel i cant get anything right. I should be qualified in 4 weeks but the way i feel right now i dont feel i should be qualifying anytime soon :eek: i mean the nails turn out ok but its the getting there that is so frustrating x

Aw.... I feel your pain! :Scared: ask as many questions as you can whilst your still in training. Im finished now and still dont have a clue what im doing most of the time :-( Thanks god for SG!

kinkyboots, if you're using pro impressions tips you can glue them right at the free edge line so that little to no blending is needed. These tips are so thin that I wouldn't worry if they didn't blend completely into the nail , presuming that your doing a forever french set it won't even be seen

I use a 180 grit NSI endurance file (similar to the CND boomerang I think).

This video might be helpful :

How to Blend Nail Tips Tutorial Video by Naio Nails - YouTube

kinkyboots, if you're using pro impressions tips you can glue them right at the free edge line so that little to no blending is needed. These tips are so thin that I wouldn't worry if they didn't blend completely into the nail , presuming that your doing a forever french set it won't even be seen

I use a 180 grit NSI endurance file (similar to the CND boomerang I think).

This video might be helpful :

How to Blend Nail Tips Tutorial Video by Naio Nails - YouTube

But... If they dont bend and sit flush onto the nails bed there will be gap between the tip and natural nail? I dont blend pro impression tips, just remove the shine.

Who did you do your training with hun? Would they be able to help you out with your problems . . . do you think you covered this in your course? They're not always that thorough,that's the trouble . . . and you never know until it's too late x

Who did you do your training with hun? Would they be able to help you out with your problems . . . do you think you covered this in your course? They're not always that thorough,that's the trouble . . . and you never know until it's too late x

Not sure if your talking to me or the other lady... :wink2:

Yes, tip application was covered but I really wanted to use a well less tip so i didnt spend an age reducing and blending, not sure if it just me but it takes aaages! I can go back and see my tutor but after spending £xxxx I cant really afford it :Scared:

Latest posts

Back