Need Advice - To Advise A Client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maguire

Reaction score
Sorry this is going to be a bit long but need to explain.

I had a client to-day who i know personally, I did her set of nails that's ok, BUT she has had a plaster cast on her foot for weeks after an op she had, now I don't do toe nails or anything to do with feet :eek: but she had this toe nail that had grown and curved under the toe, I said that must be painfull but she said it wasn't I offered to have a look and gently tried to get nail scissors underneath which I was able to so it had not penetrated the skin, I asked if she had seen a chiropodist or anyone she said yes but wouldn't do anything, I asked why the doctor or hospital had not looked at it she said they never mentioned it. This nail is brown and very thick so I thought, I managed to cut a bit of the nail then :eek: the SMELL was awfull and there was a lot of soft stuff underneath the nail which I assume is a mixture of dead tissue and whatever even now I feel sick, I told her that she should see her doctor for referal or the hospital that she having treatment with to sort it as I am sure this could cause infection if it already is infected.

Was this the right advice or is there something else I should have told her.

Hey hun,

If the plaster cast had been on for weeks and the toenail had grown down but not penatrated the skin, I think that the smell might have been down to all the sweat and grossness that had built up under there while the cast was on, on the other hand it could well be a fungal infection - you didnt state whether the nail looked fungal or not? Dark, warm and moist.....Ideal fungal / bacterial environment.

Did the toe or around the nail look red, or was hot to the touch? This could of indicated infection also.

I think the smell points to a fungal infection which is a contra-indication. I would have referred her to the doc as well (and sterilised my scissors as I'm sure you have!)

i was at my chiropodist a few weeks ago for treatment to my ingrown toenails - i was talking to him about pedicures and said often the clients toenails smelt really bad when i started filing - he said it's to do with the dead skin caught under the nail and is not normally a problem - just a bit smelly. however - if you suspect a fungal infection i would refer to doctor and see what they say.

other geeks might tell you differently but as i'm new to the industry and self employed if i'm unsure about something i'd tell them to see a doc

Hey hun,

If the plaster cast had been on for weeks and the toenail had grown down but not penatrated the skin, I think that the smell might have been down to all the sweat and grossness that had built up under there while the cast was on, on the other hand it could well be a fungal infection - The nail she said had grown this way all the time.
you didnt state whether the nail looked fungal or not? Dark, warm and moist.....Ideal fungal / bacterial environment. The nail itself is rock hard, there is no flaking or splitting, just brownish in colour

Did the toe or around the nail look red, or was hot to the touch? This could of indicated infection also.
No the surrounding skin looks normal, no marks no redness no tenderness.
I cannot understand why the doctor or hospital did not look at this before the op, the op was to correct the bones in her foot,
I have told her to get it checked out by her doctor or by the hospital, and after she left I imediatley scoured my tools and my hands in fact I am still scrubbing my hands, I have now left all my tools soaking,

Thanks for the reply's

Latest posts

Back