Need advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily S

Cheap ain't nice and nice ain't cheap <3
Reaction score
I worked mobile and from home until 18 months ago I decided to work only from home. I no longer have my extra kit so that I can work mobile.

A lady has just asked on a Facebook page if there's any mobile techs to do her nails.

Someone tagged me which was lovely of them but I replied and said it isn't possible due to me no longer being mobile.

I then get an inbox 'she's only across the road from you, she's had a stroke last year'.

So, I reply and say that I'll try find another nail tech but due to not having the kit anymore it wouldn't be possible.

I then get another message saying 'she's only wanting Shellac, not acrylics'.

I have responded saying that as much as I feel sad for the situation it's just not possible for me to do them anymore and that if I did it for one person I'd have to do for others too and wouldn't be fair to her in the future as I wouldn't want the long term commitment...

I'm now left feeling a little guilty that the poor lady is house bound but also frustrated that people assume just because I work from home that it's okay and I'll change my terms of work ... am I being unreasonable?! :(

I work from home too. I do go out to a lady who has MS (on a Sunday my day off, don't charge extra) and is totally bed bound. She absolutely loves getting her nails done and I know how much it means to her. I didn't have to be asked twice to do it even though it is quite far away from my house. I don't feel it makes other people see that I will change my rules I am a flat out no to anyone else unless it's a wedding party or something worth my time. Don't feel guilty that you can't/won't do it though all down to personal choice
Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Did you know her before she became a client /before she had MS?

I have in the past gone out to a regular client as a 'one off' as she dislocated her knee, she'd been house bound for a good few weeks and I felt sad for her.

In that instance I didn't mind as she's become a good friend as well as a client and it was nice for a catch up too, no different than if I'd called for a coffee tbh.

I don't know whether to ask her if it's a one off appointment or a regular thing, if it's regular it's just not convenient, I have more work than is necessarily convenient anyway so don't 'need' it as such but do feel awful saying no.

I did same as you and quit mobile, hated it.

Over the years I made exception to 4 disabled ladies, 2 had MS, 1 couldn't walk (never knew why) and 1 housebound due to lack of mobility - I always enjoyed those appts and I know I was the high spot of the day, maybe even the week.

They had regular monthly appointments for several years but have all passed away now. I'm glad I could be there for them.

That said, life is delightfully straightforward now I just stay put lol. So I can completely understand you being reluctant.

It's your business, do it your way xx

I didn't know her no but my friend has been caring for her for a few years now and she had obviously told her about me xx

Well, guilt/being soft got the better of me and I messaged her again asking if it was for an occasion or a long term thing, she said she didn't know and it would depend if she liked having something on her nails as she has been so long without.

I explained that long term it isn't very convenient for me but gave her another techs name which I'd already tagged on her post (she didn't respond to it) and she wrote back saying don't worry I'll find someone.

I don't know why she hasn't just messaged the lady I have suggested twice to her but hey ho my conscience is clear to know that I tried.

I have a son to think about and school holidays etc, working at home is so much easier in these times, he occasionally used to come with me mobile or I'd find childcare but I'm too busy to do that now and would make it complicated to start again.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them :)

Latest posts

Back