Need Advise Re Acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelley Clarke

Reaction score
Hi
I'm currently doing the international VTCT Nail Extensions Course and would be grateful for any helpful advise or products used.
I currently take 2 to 21/2 hours to do a full set has anyone any suggestions on any time saving products as i find blending the nail tips and buffing takes up so much time. I use at present light fantastic acrylic and have tried dipping acrylics and fast set. The quickest was the fast set but the end result wasn't as nice.

Any advise would be great.

Shelley:)

hi shelly

i dont think that 2 1/2 hours is really that long when you are just starting!!
dont be so hard on yourself. Blending tips comes with practise. I carnt comment on your products i use creative retention+ L+P and i prefer to sculpt! have you given that a go yet? (BIG TIP: those horse shoes forms they use in college are a nightmare get some of the other type much easier)

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Hi

Thanks for that, I haven't tried sculpting, sorry if i sound a bit thick but what is it and how is it done. Also i buy my nail products from NSI on the net and a small wholesaler in Cambridge. Any advise on where to get new products or any products you find particularly good would be great.

sorry but is sculpting using the freeforms which you put under the nail and build a nail tip on?

Hi Shelly

My advice to you would be to stick with one product while you are at college, shifting from one product to another isnt gonna help..............and then when you have your qualification and some experience under your belt then look around for conversion courses for other products such as Creative which is great value and you are shown how to use the system properly.

Your time is not bab and gets faster with practice also I would bear in mind that the end result we are looking for are great looking nails and there is no short cuts to that and also maybe when you feel ready look into a course for sculpting no tips no blending.

Just a few ideas
hope it helps
Take care Dawnie x

Hi

Dawnie thanks for that.
I currently have a diploma on nail extensions and am doing the VTCT international nail technicians course from home as i have two little girls who are at school and need to work my time around them.
I only moved to cambridge in september and am currently setting up as a mobile nail technician, i've done about 10 peoples nails in the area and i have about 3 regular clients at the mo. So i'm getting as much practice in as i can. I don't charge too much for the nails but i get very good feedback from my clients, which i am really pleased about. I've been looking for a site like this for ages, as it's great to get info from bods who know the business.

Thanks again
Any tips or hints and any info really is much appreciated.

Shelley Clarke said:
sorry but is sculpting using the freeforms which you put under the nail and build a nail tip on?

Yes i find it much better. The hard bit is getting the hang of the forms :rolleyes:

Stick with it and practice practice practice!!!!!!!

as for products i would stick with what you are using for a while or you may get confused. :confused:

Get to grips with your fave system and then when you are confident its easier to chose a product because you know exactly what you are looking for and what YOU want from it.
Its great that you already have some clients, well done!!

stick with it

Hi tracey

Thanks for the advise.

Shelley Clarke said:
Hi
I'm currently doing the international VTCT Nail Extensions Course and would be grateful for any helpful advise or products used.
I currently take 2 to 21/2 hours to do a full set has anyone any suggestions on any time saving products as i find blending the nail tips and buffing takes up so much time. I use at present light fantastic acrylic and have tried dipping acrylics and fast set. The quickest was the fast set but the end result wasn't as nice.

Hi Shelly,

I used to have the same problem with blending tips, they took me ages so I used to cheat and use white tips. Then a friend of mine told me that she pre-blended all her tips. Trim down the well area, then hold the tip flat and file it in a downward motion and you should make a nice smile line in the tip. Hey presto its ready to apply and overlay. Just make sure you leave enough of the well so it sits nicely on the nail plate.

It saves time and the clients nail (minimal filing means minimal damage).

Now I sit and watch telly while I blend all my tips in. My fella hates it cause the dust gets everywhere. Oh well.

Lv Bobs ...

P.s I hope I explained that ok. Not very good a describing things. GOOD LUCK. :o :o

Sounds like some good advice has already been given to me.

For sculpting, you can try the tutorials here... but I would suggest building in a little more confidence first.
As for the Contact Area pre tailoring... here are some pics to demonstrate it.

I use a 180 grit abrasive (not exclusively mind you)
Hold the abrasive as shown in pic#1
At a 45 degree angle, use firm, even strokes in one direction
remove excess (pic#2)

Practice this slowly for the first few tips... do not alter your angle or direction... its a snap ;)
Hope this helps

Attachments

• contact-B-gone1.jpg
    contact-B-gone1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 109
  • contact-B-gone2.jpg
    contact-B-gone2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 107
  • contact-B-gone3.jpg
    contact-B-gone3.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for that.
Will save a lot of time.

Shelley

Shelley Clarke said:
Hi

Hi Shelley

I've been doing nails since 2000 and became a Master in 2001 and do you know what?......................I still take 21/2 hours to do a full set and 2hours to do a rebalance (p&w):eek:

Yes I would love to get my times down to 1 3/4hrs for a full set and 1 1/2hour for a rebalance, but what I won't compromise is..........standard!! And before you all go and nobble my kneecaps............(those of you who can do it in that time) .............I'm sure you don't compromise ;)

Anyway, my thoughts on this are..............if you seriously want to reduce your time go and work in a salon whereby you will have to work to a certain time. I work from home and therefore set my own limits (not often good ones:green: ). By working in a salon you will be under more pressure but you will also have good advice surrounding you - as long as it's a good one!!

Anyway Shelley, good luck.........you will get there and remember that quality will always win through (although some speed does help:lol: )

Regards
Adele
(the non Speedy Gonzales of Nail Teks)

Hi Adele

Thanks it's nice to know that you take 21/2 too. The thing is i heard they take less time in a salon and wasn't sure if 21/2 hours was too long. And i know i'm a bit of a perfectionist, and if i do a good job my clients are happy and i'm happy.

Peppercorn Nails said:
Hi Shelley

I've been doing nails since 2000 and became a Master in 2001 and do you know what?......................I still take 21/2 hours to do a full set and 2hours to do a rebalance (p&w):eek:

Yes I would love to get my times down to 1 3/4hrs for a full set and 1 1/2hour for a rebalance, but what I won't compromise is..........standard!! And before you all go and nobble my kneecaps............(those of you who can do it in that time) .............I'm sure you don't compromise ;)

Anyway, my thoughts on this are..............if you seriously want to reduce your time go and work in a salon whereby you will have to work to a certain time. I work from home and therefore set my own limits (not often good ones:green: ). By working in a salon you will be under more pressure but you will also have good advice surrounding you - as long as it's a good one!!

Anyway Shelley, good luck.........you will get there and remember that quality will always win through (although some speed does help:lol: )

Regards
Adele

Peppercorn Nails said:
Hi Shelley

Regards
Adele

Oooh Adele - you do make me feel better. I take ages as well and like you work from home. If I had to go faster I probably would and maintain a level of quality, but for me part of the job is the contact you have with the client. I get distracted and show them things and generally we both enjoy the whole experience.

I do not have clients who have "fast lives" and can spare just an hour for their nails. I know I would make more money, but I love my work and that is better than earning loads and hating it isn't it? Because of the relationship that I build up my retail sales are very good so "what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts".

Shelley - If I do need to go fast I make sure that I don't look at them when I am chatting. Keep my eyes on the job. This makes a big difference. Also get rid of your files when they are no longer doing the job well. This can half your filing and buffing times when you are learning. Good luck. Sounds like you are doing well anyway!

Thanks ella

I enjoy chatting with my clients too. They generally don't notice the time go by as they say they find having their nails done is very relaxing. And it's worth taking my time because the end result looks good. It great to know that there's other people who take just as long. I don't know how the salons can take as little as an hour.:| Maybe just loads of practice and electric files.

Shelley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back