Need business advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunflower19

Reaction score
Hi, so at the start of the caronavirus pandemic I posted on here asking if any one thinks chair renters should still pay rent or not. What I've found is it's a very grey area some things I've read say yes and then some say no, ive got to the stage where I have now paid 7 weeks worth of rent and feel I cant afford it any longer, I spoke with the manager and he still insists we pay as he has bill's to cover, a girl he employs is going in mat leave ect, he suggested we pay what we can and then pay the rest once working but I then feel I'll always be in debt to him, I asked him about whether he is eligable to receive the 10k grant but he doesnt know, I'm at a loss on what I should do now I dont know if I want to go back! I have worked there along time, but at the same time I cant afford to not work!
Any advice welcome.

I thought businesses with premises got the £10,000 grant. This is to cover these expenses like bills and rent.

Yeah I thought so to, but he said he didnt know anything about that! Which i find hard to believe!!! i have asked him to look into it so im hoping he will be eligable.

He will have the grant money in his account. It’s simple to find out who pays the rates on the property by looking online if unsure. Have you sent him links to the grants ? I struggle to believe anyone who has not applied and been paid as it was so quickly dealt with. The chair rental is a separate arrangement but i personally think it is unfair to ask for it while there is a grant to help with bills. My utility bill was minimal this month as obviously my salon is closed so really just paying my lease with the grant. Isn’t it better to build a team and successfully return with a hunger to make the salon work in challenging times ahead rather than leave your work colleagues hungry ?

Wow! Do you have a rental contract? Also I don’t see how he can insist when he hasn’t looked into grants or other forms of government handouts. Just relying on his chair renters to pay his bills. I just would have said I’m not earning therefore I can’t afford the rent. Even if you have to seek another salon. If you were on holiday I get that you’d have to keep paying but this is different it’s a pandemic!

Totally agree that you shouldn’t have to pay really... I am a salon owner and I used to have chair renters and I wouldn’t have asked them to pay (certainly not the whole time.. it’s great that you’re helping where you can) but I think if this is going to go on for another 6/7 weeks he can’t keep asking you for full payment. He should definitely have looked into a grant and if he pays rates or has rates relief he will be eligible... maybe he’s hiding something from the council?? Who knows. It’s not fair on you though, you didn’t choose this, but he will be eligible for more help than you.

Thanks for your replies, I sent him a link to encourage him to look into the grant scheme and since then he called to say he has applied and they say he should be eligable hes just late at applying, so I now dont have to pay anymore! Phew, one less stress. I have asked for my rent to back dated from when we closed, but he wanted to just not take rent of me when we go back, but I said that I would prefer it back now, as times are tough, for everyone!

Thanks again.

He must walk around with this eyes closed to not know anything about the grants!!

Exactly!!! Not the most helpful of people if I'm honest! And I sit here and think if we hadnt asked him to find out, he prob would have continued to take rent! If that was the case I would have had to leave! I do still wonder if I should go back, not just over this, there is lots of other things over the years that I have been taken the piss out of, but I just tried to rise above it, but now having this time away it makes you think about things more, my problem is I've been there so long that I have the fear of leaving!

Hello, i own a salon, we have employees, renters on 50/50 and day rate chair renters.
We have not charged any of our chair renters through the pandemic.
Although part of me feels it is their business and they should pay as they chose to rent chairs and as they are not employees at the end of the day we decided not to on the basis, we didnt want to lose reliable team members and also the grant has helped ease the blow, although the longer this goes on that money is nearly gone!
Also he woild know about the grant as the council contact you directly!

Hello, i own a salon, we have employees, renters on 50/50 and day rate chair renters.
We have not charged any of our chair renters through the pandemic.
Although part of me feels it is their business and they should pay as they chose to rent chairs and as they are not employees at the end of the day we decided not to on the basis, we didnt want to lose reliable team members and also the grant has helped ease the blow, although the longer this goes on that money is nearly gone!
Also he woild know about the grant as the council contact you directly!

I own a salon and agree with you.
Everyone says renters work for themselves until it’s times like this.

Latest posts

Back