Need hair color advice involving stubborn Goldwell Elumen dye!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonbun

Reaction score
Hi! I need advice, this is long overdue so I really need to finally figure out what's possible with my hair.

I'm allergic to hair dye, and the only one I have found that doesn't cause a horrible reaction is Goldwell's Elumen line. I've had BR@6 applied to my hair for a long time but right now it's grown out to about 9". For years, I've been trying to get a balayage effect, but every single time my hair is bleached, the brown-red Elumen causes it to go NEON orange. By the time they tone my hair, it's either so dark that it's barely noticeable or it's still orange. They've even used toner that I would be allergic to and just made sure not to touch my scalp. I'm wondering if maybe it would be possible to get the color I want if my hair was bleached twice, but I'm a little nervous as my hair is fine. I don't think the color removing product by Elumen would have an effect because it's been on my hair for so long.

My hair goal now:
camouflage_and_balayage_toning.jpg

This is what I'm trying to achieve, but anything even remotely close to it would be all I can ask for at this point. Does anyone have experience with putting bleach on top of Elumen or know if this is possible by lightening twice? I'm also wondering if I should avoid putting a pure brown Elumen on my roots so it's no longer difficult to lighten. I do have grey hairs I want to cover or disguise. Any advice on hiding them if I can't use Elumen any more? No permanent hair dye can touch my scalp because of my allergy.

Also, how would you do this color with blunt bangs?

Thanks!

Welcome to Salon Geek.

Please can I ask you to confirm whether you are a qualified hair professional?

Thank you.

Welcome to Salon Geek.

Please can I ask you to confirm whether you are a qualified hair professional?

Thank you.
Hello! Thank you. I was, but I don't practice any more.

You should have used the Goldwell Elumen remover before bleaching. It won’t work once bleach has been used.
Your best option will be to cut it out and start again or leave it to grow before getting the coloured sections cut.

You should have used the Goldwell Elumen remover before bleaching. It won’t work once bleach has been used.
Your best option will be to cut it out and start again or leave it to grow before getting the coloured sections cut.
Hey, thanks for the reply! I wish I would have known that beforehand! They actually might have, but as I said, I got Elumen put on for years so not sure it did much. I'm wondering if it's possible to get past the neon orange with a second application or if it'd be a waste of money? Because otherwise it looks like my only options are to cut my belly button length hair into an almost pixie or have a combination of mousey brown and red brown along with greys for years.

I’m in my fifties with a very short deep purple graduated bob at the moment. The longest section at the front just reaches my cheekbones.
Personally, I’m not a fan of long hair at all so having it cut really short has never bothered me.
However, if you’ve been growing it for years, I can understand that cutting it shorter might seem like a step too far but you can always consider adding some lighter coloured hair extensions to give you some extra length.
If you do decide to have extensions, buy really good quality hair.

Latest posts

Back