Need Help! Charge for nail art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpleivy

Reaction score
Hi

Got going with Bio Sculpture, Manis & Pedis etc...... Client came last week (she popped in for a repair) and wanted a little design in stones on her thumb. I'm not expert in these things, but can position a few gems into a daisy shape. What should I be charging her for this? She's only been once for a set, then for the repair, but she seems likely to be a regular. Rang this evening to ask if she could give my number to someone at work. I want to Be Prepared.

I'm still working on my leaflet/pricelist, which I was originally planning would be ready along with my 'home salon' later in the year, but am not about to turn people away!

Advice welcome.

If you do a search there have been other posts about charging, I am not sure but I thnk some charge about 50pper gem but don't quote me on that have a search and you will come across it, good luck.

I did a search.. found one charging 20p per nail for nail art... seemed a little on the errrmm, budget side to me LOL!

I charge £5.00/£10.00 extra for nail art. Rather than 10 per gem and such. Its too much effort keeping count of all those rhinestones, stickers, glitter, etc that you have done!

Fixed amount sounds good Nicky-Marie...... can scale down a little if it's only on one nail I guess. I haven't done a nail art course yet, but have done little designs with gems under the Bio Sculpture and nothing has dropped off! LOL!:lol: I bought some gems today, as the only ones I had were a few given to me by a friend. Not Swarowski crystals, but still pricy!

I start my prices from £1 a nail for a simple design (ie flicks/dots and a stone) for something a little more (ie 2 colours, flowers, 2+ stones) 1.50
and so on .. I mad the mistake when I stared to charge to less for the added art work (50p anail!) so put them up xx

Im a huge fan of the Swarovski Crystals, I find them so pretty and they catch the light beautifully. I would highly recommend them :) A little more expensive but they do add a touch of glamour to the nails.

LOL Nicky! I was joking about the Swarowski thing... you can tell I'm a novice. I do have some Swarowski crystals, but they're too big... ones I use for card craft!

I charge 50p a nail for something very simple, like a few flicks or dotted flower done with a nail art dotter, rhinestones I charge 50p each for.

I have found over the years it better to charge by the time taken to do the nail art design So a 10 minute design £5 but an hour design £15-20

Ive been meaning to ask! When you say flicks .. do you mean a simple flick design with an art pen or something else?

Ive been meaning to ask! When you say flicks .. do you mean a simple flick design with an art pen or something else?

Flicks are when you simply get a stripper brush and flick it up the nail, Very effective and quick to do :)

Thankyou :)

I thought thats what it was, although ive had a go several times and my flicks end up wonky. Free hand art isnt my strong point!

I have found over the years it better to charge by the time taken to do the nail art design So a 10 minute design £5 but an hour design £15-20

I so agree with this!!

When I first got my rhinestones, my sister asked me to do some on her - she was going to see Snoop Dog and wanted some bling!

Anyway, she asked me how much for some rhinestones? I said I was planning on charging clients 10p each? Obviously I would charge her half price - 5p each.
Seemed reasonable really..... My god I really didnt have a clue!!

This is what she choose Image of March '07 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (Not great - but it was a long time ago!!)

It easily took her 20 minutes just to choose the colours - then she had to decide which order to have them laid down!! (This always takes ages!!)

Then I had to sort them out and get them in order.
Application wasn't easy as I had to worry about ruining the balance of the nail.

It took ages!!

5 rhinestones per nail at 10p each. I would have earned £5.00 with a client! So glad I didn't learn the hard way!!

Charge for your time.

In the end I didn't charge her at all...... she had 3 nails that I was desperate to practise my sculpting skills on, so charged basic price for a set and she sat very patiently while I did them!

.. but at least I know for next time!

Her nails looked much better in real life btw! Really not a good photo!

Glad you're sorted.

I charge

Hand paint per nail .75 and full set £6.50
Metallic Wrap .60 and £5.00
Transfers .50 and £5.00

Not much call for nail art in isle of man

Latest posts

Back