Need help with a customer threatening to take me to court

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave01

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a small salon and I'm having a problem with a customer who is claiming that a hair treatment that she had nearly 9 months ago has caused her hair to fall out. She says that the hair loss happened during the days after the treatment, but she only reported it to me a few days ago, she's now demanding that I pay her £800 because of the traumatic experience of hair loss! I do have business insurance which is supposed to protect me in situations like this.

Just to summarise, customer had a hair treatment, came back 9 months later and says it caused her to lose hair, shows me some grainy pictures which she claims are from just days after the treatment, and says I either pay her £800 or she'll take me to small claims court!

Have any of you had experience with a customer similar to this? I'd appreciate any advice.

I definitely wouldn’t be worrying about this let her take you to court (which she won’t) I’m sure there’s a law that she should have reported it within a certain amount of time. She’s probably had her colour done since etc

What sort of treatment did you do? You must have used extremely toxic chemicals to cause her hair to fall out!
Tell her you look forward to seeing her in court and then forget about it.

Honestly, if your hair fell out shortly after a hairdressing treatment, why would you leave it 9 months before taking action?
If it was that serious, you’d have visited a solicitor plus seen numerous doctors and you would have been sent a solicitors letter advising you of their intention to sue and everything would be thoroughly documented with appropriate evidence.

A crappy grainy photo and a request for £800 (which isn’t much compensation if you were left partially bald), is taking the .... :p

If it was that serious, you’d have visited a solicitor plus seen numerous doctors and you would have been sent a solicitors letter advising you of their intention to sue and everything would be thoroughly documented with appropriate evidence.
It's completely bizarre, she's come back 9 months after the treatment and she wants me to pay up right there and then! What I'm concerned about is what if she gets one of those "no win no fee" solicitors to harass me.... I'm not really looking forward to going to court either.

Just ignore. If she comes back, tell her she’s got the wrong hairdresser. You haven’t got mug written on your forehead.

A solicitor is no different to an accountant or hairdresser. They do work for clients in return for payment. They have no authority to compel you to do anything. Again, I’d ignore any correspondence from them and only respond if you receive actual court documents. (Highly unlikely!)

To file a court summons, she’s going to have to pay a fee and write out the bones of her case against you including any evidence to support her case. She knows she’s making it all up so why would she risk looking even more stupid?

If you know you’ve done nothing wrong, don’t be scared to stand up to these criminal types.

Insurance companies don’t want to pay out fees to lawyers who charge well over £200 an hour so many of them will quickly pay off these sorts of claims with a few hundred quid and increase your premiums afterwards, so they don’t ever lose out. Unfortunately, there are clients around who are well versed in the art of filing false claims and make quite a bit of money from it.

I wouldn’t bother your insurance company for this sort of complaint unless you think the client is telling the truth and has the evidence to back up their claims.

Ignore her x

Latest posts

Back