Need help with clients nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatesBeauty

Reaction score
Hi, I've been applying Shellac to a client for about 3 months. She had no nails beforehand and is really pleased with it but she has really bad ridges which keep breaking down the middle of the nail and white marks have appeared at the end of every nail. I have no idea what they are! Has anyone seen this before?

She uses Solar oil, probably not as much as she should but this doesn't look like the dryness I've seen on other people.

I do all the pep correctly and am 100% sure it's not my application but am quite boggled and don't know what to tell her.

I've attached a pic (hopefully) for you to see, can anyone help?!!

Thanks x

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 367
It looks like onycolosis? but no idea about the ridges x

Hmmm, yes it does! I've referred her to a doctor. Thanks x

It looks like splitting, layers separating from dryness, rather than the nail plate lifting away from the bed.

It looks like splitting, layers separating from dryness, rather than the nail plate lifting away from the bed.

I thought the same! It looks like her nail is peeling and the acetone has got in between the layers and dried it out. X

Is this lady on any medication ?

One of my ladies nails were just like this until weeks & weeks of twice daily solar oil applications. What caused my ladies to become like this is because she suffers from Thyroid problems and is taking thyroxin albeit in small doses. The fact that you can see these deep vertical ridges in the nails can indicate that this may be the problem for her too, but she would need to go see her doctor who can make that assessment, ( it wouldnt be down to yourself to diagnose this or to say as much ... )

This just looks like surface dehydration to me and not onycholysis. The oldest and driest part of the nail, the rest looks fine. Ridges either hereditary or caused by years of abusive biting. Keep using the Solar Oil and my guess is the old dry free edge will grow out in time.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated. I've explained all the options to her, she's going to try the solar oil first. X

as we get older and our hormones are up and down we quite often experience problems with our nails, skin and hair especially dryness so would definitely recommend solar oil first. If client is particularly concerned then she should visit her doctor for a check up.

Latest posts

Back