Need help with online bookings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbright95

Reaction score
So I use a online booking system for the salon and 80% - 90% of my clients are happy to use it, if they've had any issues we've sat down and showed them step by step. I would say my salon is 70% below the age of 65s & 30% over the age of 65. I use an online system because we take a cancellation fee of 50% if the client doesn't show up, if they are late enough to no longer be able to do the service they would be charged 50% & to stop clients cancelling 5 mins before their appointment (they have 24 hour cancellation fee of 50%).

Long story short this app allows consent forms for clients via the app so no paper used, ask clients questions when booking if they want to "upgrade" service and they get reminders via text.

Last year I lost between £8,000 - £12,000 due to no shows alone so this is why since January this year only allow online bookings online. Funnily enough we've have 3 no shows since January and all 3 got charged 50%.

But for my over 65s some of them have the booking system and just ask for help, but some really get angry and refuse to book online or say they will be going else where. Should I allow over a certain age group to book in the salon?

Interested to hear what everyone thinks! Thank You.

I think you should allow telephone bookings too and you can still ask for their card details over the phone and require a deposit.

You can’t say over the phone ‘are you over 65, if not, you’ll have to book online’.

If someone has been recently scammed by an online fraudster, for instance, I can imagine they wouldn’t want to risk booking online. They’d probably be fine letting you have a deposit after speaking to a real person on the phone.

Most of my clients are age 65+ but I don't think you can assume that age has a direct relationship to use of technology.
I have several clients under 50 who will not use Facebook, on line ordering or emails. Equally my mother is well into her 90's and still using email, google and paying bills on line from her room in a residential home!
These days I think we all need to mindful of being 'Inclusive'. Therefore we need to offer different ways of booking and paying to suit all ages, abilities, disabilities, visual or hearing impairment, economic or social factors.

With regard to the fraud issues, I have a newly retired client who pays a large lump sum every 6 months for her facials. When I suggest to her that she can pay by bank transfer she just says "Oh no dear, I never pay that way, I used to work in Fraud for the MOD" :)

Just a thought...!!

Think I'm going to continue using the booking system but if anyone has an issue with booking online then let them book in via the salon - thank you!

Latest posts

Back