Need launch party advice please.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Beauty

Reaction score
Hi,
I am in desperate need of advice please. I am due to open my own small salon soon, hopefully 16th of this month and need help with launch party / opening drinks night....
Until last Friday I had no idea when i'd be opening as i've been waiting ages for my local council to issue a special treatments liscence...they had told me last Monday that it would be another 3-4 weeks and then decided to grant it on Friday! So I now feel very unprepared!!!
I have been paying rent on the shop since 1st July and didn't quite budget for so many unexpected costs and now am completley skinto!
So my prblem is that I really want to open asap so that I can try and earn some dosh towards the rent which is due again on the 1st Sep but I also really want to have a lovely opening drinks night but havent got the time or money at the moment to give it 100%.....I've got some great ideas on here as to things that I could offer on the night and would really like to make it special...get vouchers printed, samples, goodie bags that sort of thing and I also want to make sure that I give everyone enough notice to make sure they all turn up!
So, my question is ..." Is it ok to have a launch party after you've actually opened???"
I was thinking maybe I could open on the 16th and have a drinks night at the end of the month and offer lots of discounts for September???? It will also mean that my liscence would be in place and we could offer mini treatments to potential clients.
What do you all think????? Ok to open first and then have a drinks night after or just plain stupid??? Does the 'Do' have to happen prior to actually opening:confused:??? Sorry to drone on but i'm just soooo worried, i've worked really hard for this and just want it to all be just right!
Thanks guy's x

I would open as soon as you are ready to and plan the "opening" properly! Apparently in Vegas they do what is known as a soft opening, where they open the hotel or show and iron out any mishaps in the first few weeks then open with a big splash!!

What Happens in Vegas Soft Opening: 5/31 – 6/5/2010 Ivan Pecel

This would give you time to plan a night, get samples for goody bags, print voucher etc and most importantly invite people!!

You could even see if you could get local paper coverage - free advertising!!

good luck with your new venture!

xx

Thanks so much....checked out the link too, that sounds great! A least I know this kind of thing happens and has a name 'Soft Opening'....I was worried about embarrassing myself by doing it all backwards!!! heehe.
I was thinking of getting in touch with the local paper as someone else had mentioned it.
I'll let you know how I get on,
Hayley xxx

Ok to open first and then have a drinks night after or just plain stupid???
Just make sure none of the drinks are alcoholic (unless you have a licence)

I would say rather than calling it a "launch party" that you call it an "open evening". Exactly the same thing but with a slightly different slant on it!

Good luck and hope you get lots and lots of clients!

xx

Hi,
I thought ........(please correct me if I am wrong) that you can give alcholic drinks as long as they are FREE, then you don't need a licience ???
Yes I would say defo go for a BIG opening a few weeks after you 1st open.
Give you much more time and people who have become clients in the first few weeks can be invited too.
Best wishes with your new salon.
Lotsa luv x x x :hug: x x x

Thank you all so so much...i'll look into the drinks thing and Opening Evening does sound better than a Launch Party...How fab to get so much feedback, thanks all xxxxxxxxxxx

I thought ........(please correct me if I am wrong) that you can give alcholic drinks as long as they are FREE, then you don't need a licience ???
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you can serve alcohol as long as it's free and it's not used while attracting paying customers, either on that day or by appointment.

As I said, I'm not 100% on this, but what I do know is that there's up to 6 months in prison and up to a £20,000 fine if you get it wrong, so it's definitely worth finding out before taking any chances:)

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you can serve alcohol as long as it's free and it's not used while attracting paying customers, either on that day or by appointment.

As I said, I'm not 100% on this, but what I do know is that there's up to 6 months in prison and up to a £20,000 fine if you get it wrong, so it's definitely worth finding out before taking any chances:)
OMG.... i'll look into that NOW!!!!! Won't be a very successful salon with me banged up!!!! Thanks xx

Thanks so much, goona check out your link now....x

Yes definitely good to do an 'open' evening even after you have opened. If you are looking to retail on the night (make up, skin care etc) then it's always good to do this around pay day too! (so end of the month).

this will also give you bit more time to prep as you want to get it right. If you can try doing a couple of mini demos of make up as this will get your potential clients really interested.

Speak to your suppliers to see if they can support you too with free samples for the goody bags.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

M:)

Latest posts

Back