Need More Practice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke

Reaction score
Since completing my course in June i'm not doing that many nails and i really need to practice but there is only so much that friends and family can take!!!

I really want to be good at this but as a beginner with not many clients i really need to do some more nails to build up my confidence.

Does anyone have any suggestions for practicing? I have thought about buying a hand from the wholesalers but do you think that is the way forward?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Brooke x

Brooke said:
Since completing my course in June i'm not doing that many nails and i really need to practice but there is only so much that friends and family can take!!!

I really want to be good at this but as a beginner with not many clients i really need to do some more nails to build up my confidence.

Does anyone have any suggestions for practicing? I have thought about buying a hand from the wholesalers but do you think that is the way forward?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Brooke x

Hiya Brooke,
I would say get a training hand it never moans and you can practise to your heart content. Once your happy with everything your doing then try advertising in your area :)

Hi Brookie, where in Bristol are you? I'm in Bristol too. You can practice on me!!!

You could try putting an ad in your local newsagents window saying, e.g. For one month only - nail enhancments £5.00 (or whatever). We do this on an 'A' board outside the salon when we take on a new tech - we usually only have to have the board out for 1 or 2 days and get enough 'models' for a fortnight! The £5.00 covers your costs and you get LOADS of practice and, hopefully, some clients that become long-termers. Good Luck, Fiona

Well, i have the same problem too, this sounds like a nice idea fiona, it's just enought to pay for the products used, but don't clients get angry if the work is not very good (even thow it is cheap)? I did some sets on friends and some of their nails poped off, what if this happens with these clients? Do you think they would be happy enough if i offer to repair any problems they might have for free?

Brooke - I am about to start the VTCT course at City of Bristol college in September and have just purchased a training hand ready for all that practise I know I'm going to need. It seems the ideal answer to me, then you can fit it in whenever you have time and it doesn't matter if you do it wrong, or how long it takes. Where abouts are you - I'd be happy to model for you if you want to practise? PM me if you want!!! xxx

Hi Brooke!

I have a nail trainer but I also use a rubber glove (marigold type). Fill it with sugar and sometimesfor me, that has been better!
You just stick tips on, then do enhancements over the top.

Hope that helps.

Sam XXX

Ahh thanks guys thats great advice, I really appreciate it.

Cathie & Bea i would love to meet up and have a chin wag and maybe practice on you both, i will try to work out how to pm you!!

Speak to you later and thanks again!

Brooke x

Brooke - go to the Quick Links button on toolbar & select Private Messages, then go to Send new message on the left hand side - it seems to work just like a normal email! Speak soon! xxx

I bought a practise hand and use mine all the time, definately worth getting. I couldn't afford a Nail Trainer which i know is the best one to get but you can get other practise hands from various wholesalers that will do if cash isn't easy flowing....when is it??

Ahh, thanks again

I will pm when i get home about 6ish

Brooke xx

At last, I've found some Bristol geeks on the board!! Kitten, you'll be doing your VTCT with Julie, she's great.. We'll all (3 of us!!) have to get together and chat nails...

Can anyone tell me what a nail trainer is? And do you think that would be better than a practice hand?

Does anyone know how much they both are?

Thanks

Brooke xxx

hi, i am pretty new to the extentions way of life too, and i too ran out of friends and family, so what i did was ring round local salons asking if they needed a trainee, explained what i had done, and not! went in for a working interview and low and behold i now work in a fantastic salon with my own regular clients who know im in my first year, but boy have i come on leaps and bounds and if i am in any doubt there is always help just behind me which is amazing, i have never been belittled by my collegues just helped and shown how to do it.i never thought i could be made to feel so good about what i was doing, my clients have been brilliant and my speed and performance has improved in leaps and bounds beyond my belief as i was ready to throw the towel in.so go for it, you have nothing to lose. lots of luck,if i can do it, you can too x

Well, you can take a lokk at the nail trainer at

www.essentialnails.com

i have one (that came in my home learn course), i love it and use it often but i would also like to practise on real hands, because thay come with different shapes, problems, need diferents thing, and to know if the client likes them, if they pop out, if they experience lifting and to be able to practice infills and rebalances. :)

Latest posts

Back