Need more true help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachy Waves

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I was hoping for some friendly advice.
I’ve been doing my level 2 course at college and due to being quite a diligent (swotty [emoji851]) student I have managed to get all of my coursework, theory and practical signed off before Easter and my tutor has said she would be happy for me to sign an email confirming this for my insurance company so I can start performing cuts, colours and highlights in my salon.

I already have a holistic and beauty salon, and I’m qualified in hair extensions, so the level two hair was just to add another string to my bow, however my tutor was a bit of a cow, and because I didn’t kiss up to her like some of the other girls I never felt like I got the same support as them, and feel afraid to ask her for advice as I don’t really feel like she particularly wants to help me so I feel a bit lost when it comes to getting reassurance on decisions from a role model.

For example, I want some more advice about peroxide strengths, toners etc but don’t feel like I have anyone to ask.

Can I post questions about those things here?

Also- I don’t feel I know enough about colour correction or the colour wheel to confidently know how to add greens, blues etc to clients colours in order to get a better tone out of them.

I know this is more Level 3 stuff, but she has made me feel too uncomfortable to take the level 3 class next year and so now I feel my education is going to be affected by this problem. I’m considering going somewhere else for the level 3 but today I got some Level 3 hairdressing textbooks in a charity shop and started to read through them.

I realise that to get insured for this level I would need assessing, but does anyone know if there is a way of getting assessed by someone qualified, just on the basis of self-learning the course from the textbook and a few observations ?
It’s a long shot but I thought it worth an ask.

Sorry for the massive post.

Hi everyone.

I was hoping for some friendly advice.
I’ve been doing my level 2 course at college and due to being quite a diligent (swotty
emoji851.png
) student I have managed to get all of my coursework, theory and practical signed off before Easter and my tutor has said she would be happy for me to sign an email confirming this for my insurance company so I can start performing cuts, colours and highlights in my salon.

I already have a holistic and beauty salon, and I’m qualified in hair extensions, so the level two hair was just to add another string to my bow, however my tutor was a bit of a cow, and because I didn’t kiss up to her like some of the other girls I never felt like I got the same support as them, and feel afraid to ask her for advice as I don’t really feel like she particularly wants to help me so I feel a bit lost when it comes to getting reassurance on decisions from a role model.

For example, I want some more advice about peroxide strengths, toners etc but don’t feel like I have anyone to ask.

Can I post questions about those things here?

Also- I don’t feel I know enough about colour correction or the colour wheel to confidently know how to add greens, blues etc to clients colours in order to get a better tone out of them.

I know this is more Level 3 stuff, but she has made me feel too uncomfortable to take the level 3 class next year and so now I feel my education is going to be affected by this problem. I’m considering going somewhere else for the level 3 but today I got some Level 3 hairdressing textbooks in a charity shop and started to read through them.

I realise that to get insured for this level I would need assessing, but does anyone know if there is a way of getting assessed by someone qualified, just on the basis of self-learning the course from the textbook and a few observations ?
It’s a long shot but I thought it worth an ask.

Sorry for the massive post.
Take a look at isa trainging! They were fantastic, we used them for our apprentices.
It's work based learning, so you just have to learn on the job (the level 3stuff)and then once every 4-6 weeks you'll meet with them and you will do tests and be assessed until you've worked your way through the qualification. By the sounds of it, you are driven and committed, so this would be ideal.
As for your questions - ask away!
This is a great place to learn new hints and tips. But obviously you have to have basic understanding of what you're asking about.

You don’t actually need to do level 3 as level 2 is all you need for insurance purposes.

In your position, I’d recommend doing a short intense colour course (and possibly an advanced cutting course) with one of the bigger colour houses or private training companies. L’Oréal, Wella, Toni & Guy etc.

My number one recommendation is Sassoon because I’ve done this and can’t praise them highly enough for their quality of training. However, you might get more out of it once you have a bit more experience under your belt as otherwise, it might be a bit too intense. I’d recommend their 5 day cutting and colour courses but they have a few different options.

For colouring, you need to understand a few fundamentals, the colour wheel, the lightening curve and colour mixing principles. How the different colour products work (inside/outside the cortex) and their removal methods. The rest is about application techniques and improving your speed and accuracy.

You can definitely learn a huge amount of colour theory from a good colour textbook and I’d start with that.

It goes without saying that you can ask away on here. :)

Thanks so much guys. I really feel like I could be good at this but until it clicks, and I have it more confidence I don’t want to ‘practice’ on clients but there’s only so much I can learn about natural undertones etc from working on my mannequin head as she has the same shade hair, so I need some different hair textures and colours to work with.

Does anyone ever offer ‘training slots’ for techniques that they want to do, eg offer a slot for mermaid hair/ oil slick hair. And do them for reduced prices?

Latest posts

Back