Need new makeup!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathryn135

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I'm getting married in a hot country in 4 weeks so want to treat myself to some nice new makeup before I go! I usually buy whatever's on offer from boots 😳 lol does anyone have any advice on what to get? Looking along the lines of Mac/benefit etc and would like a pressed powder, foundation and a good mascara. And something that won't melt off my face in the sun! I appreciate anyone's comments! Thanks! Xx

I use Clinique powder and have never looked back since I switched :)

I'd probably invest in a good primer as well if you have oily skin like me. Laura Mercier oil free foundation primer is good. I use Clinique even better foundation and alternate between MAC studio fix to Laura Mercier pressed setting powder. For mascaras, use waterproof ones. I use clinique waterproof mascara but there's loads of drugstore ones that stays put. Will you be doing your own makeup on your wedding day?

I love bare minerals for when I'm on holiday. Mascara I swear by lancome hypnose drama. Pop to the counter and ask for a sample it's amazing.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

My makeup bag is a disgrace. A jumbled up mass of old stuff and broken bits. Must get some new makeup. Will try the mineral makeup as it seems popular, thanks for the info.:)

Maybe you could book a bridal makeup lesson with a makeup artist before you go and they maybe be able to suggest suitable products for your skin type and the heat of the country you are going to.

Last edited:
My makeup bag is a disgrace. A jumbled up mass of old stuff and broken bits. Must get some new makeup. Will try the mineral makeup as it seems popular, thanks for the info.:)
I was unsure on Minerals at first but once I tried it I fell in love

I was unsure on Minerals at first but once I tried it I fell in love

Snap! My college tutor got me hooked, it's the only thing I've found that works on my skin - oily nose and chin, dry forehead and dry cheeks with the odd breakout of psoriasis. It also stays put through a long working day of 16 hours (with a touch up on my eye bags between shifts!).

They also contain an SPF which is ideal for hot countries, and they do a loose powder to mattify shine which is good - just be careful not to overload your brush and then apply to your nose as this makes me sneeze like a good 'en!

Also, if you get the starter kit it comes with a DVD on how to apply to get the most out of it, might be helpful?

Good luck and enjoy your trip :)

I've found no7 protect and perfect foundation (£17 I think)it's lovely and light and I use the illuminating one so good in bright sunshine to give your face a glow!
I have finally found my perfect mascara in GOSH at Superdrug £8.99. I realise these are not high end but I pay a little more for better quality unless you really wanna splurge!
I also swear by urban decay naked2 pallette and have now discovered sleek pallets which are soft have staying power and greatly pigmented if your looking at eyeshadows too! X

Forgot to put the GOSH mascara name is boombastic.x

Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation and Make Up setting spray! Promise you will fall in love! The spray is amazing for holding your makeup on. Have a wonderful time when it comes :) xx

Im gonna throw a spanner in the works and say personally I don't get on with mineral makeup, but thats just me :) It may be worth going to a couple of different counters and seeing which finish you like best and see how it wears through the day :)
My own recommendations would be the MAC prolong wear foundation and concealer as both last well for me, Benefits they're real mascara as that is my absolute go to or The lancome hypnose doll eyes!
Benefit porepessional primer is also really good and will help the makeup last the day! Powder wise Maybelline fit me powder is actually really good, or benefits hello flawless or mac blot powder are both really good also :)
Oh and the urban decay setting sprays are awesome, they will definitely help that makeup stay put!

For foundation I've not used it myself but i hear a lot of good things about estee lauder double wear :)

Congratulations and enjoy your big day!!

don't use anything with SPF or mica in it as it can make your face look white if you use a flash for your evening pics. Also don't use anything with shimmer in on your face eg primer or foundation as it can make you look shiney xxx

Jane Iredale seems to be popular and I've tried Cozmetic Lab which I loved. Also really like Stila Illuminating foundation. My face is a mess it's combination and for some reasons a lot of foundations go flakey! Double wear being one of them, best to go try them and see how they are on your skin x

I can recommend Estée Lauder Double Wear Light for foundation. Love it! I have dry/normal skin and find that boots no7 moisturiser underneath this foundation with a light dusting of clear powder on top works perfectly! If you go and get colour matched they'll give you a sample to try too :)
Not the cheapest, but absolutely the best I've tried!

Im loving urban decay at the moment

Latest posts

Back