Need some advice for my ruined hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarlessSea

Reaction score
I know you're going to hate me! But I did what all hairdressers dread and during quarantine I decided to bleach my hair from dyed darkest brown to bleach blonde :/

It looked okay, but my hair was very dry and my roots come in so dark that I hated the look, so not long later I dyed it right back to brown again with a permanent brown colour. It looked absolutely AWFUL, I didn't do any research and just popped another brown box dye on it (permanent).

I'm sure you already know exactly what happened; it was an awful sludgy greenish khaki colour. So I immediately sent out for some more hair dye and got a SEMI permanent dark brown colour. It is okayish looking, surprisingly my ends are lighter than my roots though and I thought the opposite would happen. So while the roots have come out okay, I guess because the are less damaged? My ends are still lighter by quite a bit.

Now, I don't want to touch my own hair ever again with a 10 foot barge pole and am going to see my hairdresser. After all that rambling, I only have have 2 questions really.

As a professional, given my situation can you tell me if you would need to strip my hair of the previous colours I've put on it? I want to go to her and ask her to put a permanent dark brown colour similar to my natural colour on, the same darkness the roots are now so not lighter. But will a permanent hair dye be able to work on top of all the other stuff I've done with it?

If I don't have to have it stripped (I really don't want to put my hair through much more, it is SO dry, and it also costs an extra £30 or so), can I get the permanent colour done soon? Or do I have to wait for the current hair dye to fade?

Thanks so much for any advice!

I know you're going to hate me! But I did what all hairdressers dread and during quarantine I decided to bleach my hair from dyed darkest brown to bleach blonde :/

It looked okay, but my hair was very dry and my roots come in so dark that I hated the look, so not long later I dyed it right back to brown again with a permanent brown colour. It looked absolutely AWFUL, I didn't do any research and just popped another brown box dye on it (permanent).

I'm sure you already know exactly what happened; it was an awful sludgy greenish khaki colour. So I immediately sent out for some more hair dye and got a SEMI permanent dark brown colour. It is okayish looking, surprisingly my ends are lighter than my roots though and I thought the opposite would happen. So while the roots have come out okay, I guess because the are less damaged? My ends are still lighter by quite a bit.

Now, I don't want to touch my own hair ever again with a 10 foot barge pole and am going to see my hairdresser. After all that rambling, I only have have 2 questions really.

As a professional, given my situation can you tell me if you would need to strip my hair of the previous colours I've put on it? I want to go to her and ask her to put a permanent dark brown colour similar to my natural colour on, the same darkness the roots are now so not lighter. But will a permanent hair dye be able to work on top of all the other stuff I've done with it?

If I don't have to have it stripped (I really don't want to put my hair through much more, it is SO dry, and it also costs an extra £30 or so), can I get the permanent colour done soon? Or do I have to wait for the current hair dye to fade?

Thanks so much for any advice!
Why do you think you need a permanent colour?
Generally permanent tint won't last any longer on prelightened/damaged hair than a demi permanent. If I was to colour your hair I wouldn't put a permanent colour on your hair unless you were going lighter or covering grey.
As For colouring over the top of the existing colour would be down to stylists discretion. They may want to check your hair for traces of metalic salts, which can often be found in box dyes.

Okay thank you! That's interesting. So a semi permanent colour would work? I was thinking I don't want to keep dying it but is a semi permanent not damaging at all or just less damaging?

I don't have any grey but my natural hair colour is very ashy I don't like it so much, so was going to ask to go either that same colour but warmer or just really really dark and ask what she thinks would be better for my hair and easier to keep up.

I was also having a look on Google at a "gloss"? Is that a genuine thing? Does it last more than like a week? Is it less colour than a semi permanent? Basically I just want to dye my poor hair without ruining it further :(

Also sorry I forgot to say, I can't get an appointment until September, is that far enough away given I have dyed it so much? I am just so regretting using a permanent colour on my super bleached hair, it actually seemed to ruin it more than the bleach did :O

Why do you think you need a permanent colour?
Generally permanent tint won't last any longer on prelightened/damaged hair than a demi permanent. If I was to colour your hair I wouldn't put a permanent colour on your hair unless you were going lighter or covering grey.
As For colouring over the top of the existing colour would be down to stylists discretion. They may want to check your hair for traces of metalic salts, which can often be found in box dyes.

Sorry I forgot to actually reply to you ^_^

Okay thank you! That's interesting. So a semi permanent colour would work? I was thinking I don't want to keep dying it but is a semi permanent not damaging at all or just less damaging?

I don't have any grey but my natural hair colour is very ashy I don't like it so much, so was going to ask to go either that same colour but warmer or just really really dark and ask what she thinks would be better for my hair and easier to keep up.

I was also having a look on Google at a "gloss"? Is that a genuine thing? Does it last more than like a week? Is it less colour than a semi permanent? Basically I just want to dye my poor hair without ruining it further :(

Also sorry I forgot to say, I can't get an appointment until September, is that far enough away given I have dyed it so much? I am just so regretting using a permanent colour on my super bleached hair, it actually seemed to ruin it more than the bleach did :O

Sorry I forgot to actually reply to you ^_^
A gloss is definitely such a thing, it's very much like a semi permanent. Things differ per brand. A semi permanent sounds perfect for your hair. Because all you want to do is deposit a new colour that is no lighter than your natural colour :)
It should definitely last longer than a week. Again this varies massively depending on brand, condition of the hair, how often you shampoo your hair, and depends on what shampoo and conditioner you use.
In my experience if your hair is in fair condition, you use a good quality shampoo etc and low heat then I'd say you should expect at least 20 washes out of it, before it starts to loose its intensity :)

Ah thank you so much ^_^

I will go for semi permanent then, my hair is thick and dry so I don't wash it very often so 20 washes sounds perfect!!

Latest posts

Back