Need some advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie111

Reaction score
I'm starting work in a tanning and beauty salon in just over a week and I'm meeting with the owner again next week to finalise some things but theres a couple of things that are niggling at me.
I'm going to be renting the room on a % basis, there is no room as such set up for beauty at the moment as its a new shop so it all needs to be done.
I am currently working mobile which I am going to carry on doing a couple of days a week so will need all my equipment i.e. spray tanning machine, massage couch, all other products.
I can double up on a lot of the cheaper items but not my massage couch, tanning equipment.
Should i be asking the salon owner to be providing this equipment as i dont fancy carrying this lot back and forwards or should it be down to me to provide this?

I think it really depends on how much the % split is.. if the owner wants a higher split say 40% of what u earn i'd say she needs to get everything. If she wants u to get the equipment make sure u get a good split of the % cause as u know its costly xxx

I'm giving her 25%
If I need to buy another couch and all other doubling up products it will be roughly £500 thats without buying another spray tan machine.

hi marie, i don't really think you can ask her to buy all the stuff. you are working on a % basis and therefore are self employed so you can't expect her to provide you with much. The good thing is if you move on you can take everything with you. maybe if you did things on a higher% (which i wouldn't advise) you could ask her to supply stuff. you'll have to trudge all your stuff around for now, as soon as you can afford it thou you can buy more...I'm sure that won't be long!!x

Itr might be worth it for her to buy a couch - if it doesnt work out with you then she can get someone else in easier. But it is worth just using your own spray tan equipment, but if it doesnt work out your going to be stuck with another couch.

Im on a 60 / 40 split. Owner gets 40% and she provides all of the equipment including couch, chairs, wax pot, pillows, duvets etc and advertising in press. I provide products and my own price lists.

Hi Marie,
I think you might be better off using the couch you have for now, just until you settle in, you could always get another one after the New Year, if it's all working out good for you both.

Itr might be worth it for her to buy a couch - if it doesnt work out with you then she can get someone else in easier. But it is worth just using your own spray tan equipment, but if it doesnt work out your going to be stuck with another couch.

Thats what i thought, another couch is no goood to me especially if its not portable.

She can supply the equipment and you supply the products, thats fair enough.

I would get a few things down in writing too, I rented a room and it was fine at first but then after a few weeks /months it did my head in.

I couldnt advertise on the walls, windows etc. I had to clean my nail area and got wrong cos there was dust around my desk. I supplied my own equipment and paid for some of the renovations (flooring etc) and was still charged £93 pw and I had my own phone line in. It got me loads of new customers but didnt work out for me and left a year later. You live and learn tho!!

Latest posts

Back