Need some opinions please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemma brookes

Reaction score
This is going to be a long post so please forgive me in advance!

I have been renting a room inside a new hair salon, as the beautician, in a busy town centre since March. As well as me, there is a nail girl too. This hasn't gone without its drama, within a month of both me and the nail girl being there, there was incidents come about where the girls who own the salon had been bitching about us to others. We pulled the girls up on it and it was resolved.

The 2 girls who own the salon are only 22. I am pretty sure they don't have too much salon experience as one of them worked in retail before doing this. I have since learned they started college in 2009, as my brothers girlfriend did the same course as them. One of the girls is very sweet and approachable and customers love her. The other who seems to cause the most problems, never smiles always moans, and can make people feel uncomfortable.

The nicer of the 2 has been away on holiday so the place has been left for the other to be in charge. We had no toilet roll in the toilet, she did no cleaning etc. The other girl keeps the salon running smoothly when she is there. She was actually more bothered about getting her own nails and waxing done.

Well on friday, she had a customer in who had afro caribbean hair and wanted it straightening. I was out the way upstairs, and the nail girl said hi to the customer and had a little friendly chat with her.

I came back down as the young girl was paying for her hair and noticed there was no friendly exchange. There was silence between them and the girl didn't say bye as she left.

We have a joint salon page for all of us and on saturday night a review was left on there which was from the customers mum. She basically said her daughter left extremely upset as the hairdresser had turned around and said to her 'I would hate to have hair like yours'. Unbelievable. Me and the nail girls, being admins on the page, received the notifications for this and are completely outraged she could say such a nasty thing. Not just that, but the mum of the girl has stated that this is because of the girls race this was said, so implying racism. The nail girl messaged the nicer hairdresser to let her know and she seems to brush over it changing the subject. She doesn't have a backbone and never stands up to this other one. The one with attitude puts her down infront of us and comments on thing such as her appearance which isn't nice to hear.

It doesn't end there as last night another very bad review was left by the girls friend to give her opinion on the matter, which I can't blame her for. Both young girls work in New Look which means there are lots of people for this to get around to. Aswell as the post showing up in all of their friends timelines. They are both living in the town so are local and as it turns out I do have some mutual friends with them.

I am disgusted by the hairdressers behaviour and as I am running a business in the same salon, I am so worried of the impact this can have as a whole. Her attitude is raising a lot of red flags. I have been told by the nail girl she heard her say once she also doesn't like gay people. And some local advertising companies will not work with the salon as she has caused problems and been rude to them. This includes a big company which do adverts for the sides of the buses. It is like the salon is going to become almost blacklisted and give us a very bad reputation.

This morning the nail girl messaged me to say that rather than apologising to this girl, the hairdresser is instead messaging her to ask her to remove the review! She takes no responsibility!

I feel I have to leave here, the sooner the better before it all comes crashing down. The nail girl and I have approached her before about her behaviour, she isn't taking it seriously. My business is 4 years old, I do not want to lose out on potential customers because of these girls.

Has anyone else been in similar situations? Did it impact your business? I have made it clear on my own business page that I am a completely separate business.

I need some advice as I have a strong feeling this is going to escalate. I feel I should stay until the new year. I was already looking at getting my own salon, but am in the process of saving up money. This is now the busy period for me, now to christmas, so if I go now, I could mess this up. Plus would need to find somewhere else local.

Advice please :(

Good grief! You need to get out of there fast.
You do not want your business to be associated with such a silly young woman. Mud sticks!

Take a few days off if you have to and start seriously looking for a new place to rent asap. Don't leave it till the New Year otherwise you might not have any business left to lose.

Leave. Nothing will change in afraid and you will get associated with the behaviour going on here. I know that people will talk generally about THAT salon. They won't differentiate between the services inside it. Time to move on.

Good luck x

You need to leave. Honestly staying is just going to make it look like you tolerate or agree with running a business like this. Youll get thrown in with them regardless of whether its a different business. It'll be 'oh dont go to that salon they're so unprofessional in there' blah blah you know yourself how people talk.

Absolutely agree with everyone here. It's a like a school with 1000 pupils, a handful cause trouble and everyone labels the whole school as bad. The longer you stay there, the more your business can potentially suffer.

Thank you for your replies ladies, I acted on instinct and right away the morning I posted I went around the other hair salons nearby to find a beauty room. I found one :) I am going to leave the current salon next week. I was initially worried at first as it is shifting clients around quite a bit this year, but as you say the longer I stay the worse it can be. The new place is an established salon, with 5 stylists and the rent is going to be a lot cheaper :) so I guess everything happens for a reason, and once I find my feet I should be a lot busier and happier not being around bad minded "professionals"

Thanks so much for confirming what I thought, it helped to give me the push! xxx

Latest posts

Back